Bill Maher

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Bill Maher

Post by doodle » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:48 pm

I just recently came across Bill Maher's work again after decades of not following him. His criticisms of the extreme left are so much more effective than anything I have ever heard out of traditional right wing media.

I think his might be a voice that almost everyone on this board could get behind.

https://youtu.be/uDkNmbJLB3o
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bill Maher

Post by boglerdude » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:04 pm

Sounds like a centrist, but he condemned lockdown. So no, the left cannot condone him.

https://old.reddit.com/r/LockdownSkepti ... tions_its/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp3gy_CLXho
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:28 pm

Bill Maher has said enough edgy stuff (after all he's a comedian) that he's been long dismissed by the left.

I think the most convincing anti-wokester that has an outside opportunity of reaching them is John McWhorter. But he holds his temper well and he's pretty orthodox liberal so there isn't much to say about him. Helps of course that he's black.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:31 am

The left has the wokesters and the right has the conspiricists. They are equally terrifying from my perspective. The reason I currently vote democrat is because I feel like the wokesters have less of a grip on the Democratic party than the rights brand of crazy does on the Republican party. My guess is that it's because the Democratic party is moderated still by the need for political donations by more centrist voices whereas a large number of right wing donors seem comfortable with fascism. Upcoming elections are only going to get worse and more contentious in my opinion. Not sure how we bring dialogue back to the center.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:22 am

I think it was Kevin Williamson who quipped "you want to die of a heart attack or from cancer"?

I agree that the mass embrace of discounting election counts by the right (and yes I know Stacey Abrams indulged in it too) is more immediately distressing than the left's strangleholds on non-political institutions.

I'm also worried about how the heck to get back into some stability. My mental image is that of a top spinning out of control wobbling more and more wildly, not a good trendline. Is it possible to regain equilibrium?

So yeah, we're in violent agreement.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:53 pm

joypog wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:22 am

I'm also worried about how the heck to get back into some stability. My mental image is that of a top spinning out of control wobbling more and more wildly, not a good trendline. Is it possible to regain equilibrium?

You may be more of a Christian than you think. That is pretty much what the Bible says will happen; for example, the whole First Testament is a story about what happens when people try to live without following God's will. Man could and cannot save himself, so Jesus did and does it for us. Creation continues to unwind because of the curse described in Genesis 3. It will all be good after the Last Day for believers; it will be much better than equilibrium, it will be perfection. 8)

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:53 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:53 pm
You may be more of a Christian than you think.
As the Jesuits say, “Give me the child for the first seven years and I'll give you the man.”
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:10 pm

joypog wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:53 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
As the Jesuits say, “Give me the child for the first seven years and I'll give you the man.”
You sound like one interesting dude that I would like to have a beer with! Who knows, maybe someday. Cheers!
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:35 pm

I do have to appreciate Bill Maher's live and let live philosophy.

Russell Brand is another liberal that has been pro freedom.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:43 pm

whatchamacallit wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:35 pm
I do have to appreciate Bill Maher's live and let live philosophy.

Russell Brand is another liberal that has been pro freedom.
I think there are plenty of left wingers that feel this way it's just that they don't make for good material for Fox news to use to rally the Republican base.

I'm completely live and let live myself but ones right to swing their fist ends at the tip of my nose. I feel this predominantly about environmental issues. I don't see why conservatives in general in this country feel a person's right to roll coal out the back of their diesel truck trump's my childs right to breathe fresh air.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:52 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:10 pm
joypog wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:53 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
You sound like one interesting dude that I would like to have a beer with! Who knows, maybe someday. Cheers!
Hahah thanks! I suspect its comes from growing up as a child of immigrants so I've always had an outsider perspective on things, even as I've entered into the good old boy club of my profession. Also helps to have been proponent of both sides of the political and religious divides. I might argue hard at times, but I also sympathize with the other side because I used to be there. And I'd like to think I was a decent smart person then - I'm not a raging convert against the past. Even though I'm generally liberal (currently) I'm still temperamentally conservative (how else would I end up on a forum revolving around the PP!).

So yeah, I guess you could say interesting...maybe just conflicted! O0
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:05 pm

ELECTIONS
Republicans have long feuded with the mainstream media. Now many are shutting them out
August 7, 20225:00 AM ET

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/07/11159494 ... ium=social
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:02 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:11 am
vnatale wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:05 pm

Republicans have long feuded with the mainstream media.
Maybe that's because the MSM has always been hostile toward Rs and clearly biased against them.
Do you feel there was a certain point in time when the hostility you speak of started?

Back in the old Cronkite/Brinkley/Chancellor days it didn't seem to me that there was any hostility and the news seemed kinda factual.
Even into the days of Brokaw and Rather. At that time it was pretty much just ABC, CBS, NBC and maybe PBS.
I used to love watching Reagan jousting with Sam Donaldson in the press room. But I wouldn't go so far as to have called Donaldson anti-Reagan or hostile, nor openly supportive either.
But that's just my recollection, what do you recall (assuming you're old enough for this question)?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:14 pm

glennds wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:02 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:11 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:05 pm

Republicans have long feuded with the mainstream media.

Maybe that's because the MSM has always been hostile toward Rs and clearly biased against them.

Do you feel there was a certain point in time when the hostility you speak of started?

Back in the old Cronkite/Brinkley/Chancellor days it didn't seem to me that there was any hostility and the news seemed kinda factual.
Even into the days of Brokaw and Rather. At that time it was pretty much just ABC, CBS, NBC and maybe PBS.
I used to love watching Reagan jousting with Sam Donaldson in the press room. But I wouldn't go so far as to have called Donaldson anti-Reagan or hostile, nor openly supportive either.
But that's just my recollection, what do you recall (assuming you're old enough for this question)?

This "Mainstream Mddia bias" is always interesting in the light of all of them all being owned by profit seeking corporations, FOX is the leading mainstream media, and talk radio is nearly 100% conservative, right wing.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:34 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:14 pm
[
This "Mainstream Mddia bias" is always interesting in the light of all of them all being owned by profit seeking corporations, FOX is the leading mainstream media, and talk radio is nearly 100% conservative, right wing.
Back in the pre-cable days, they all required FCC licenses to operate. An FCC law on the books called the Fairness Doctrine obligated them to separate news reporting from op ed, and news was mandated to be unbiased and objective, present both conservative and liberal points of view. The Fairness Doctrine was repealed in the Reagan administration, in 1987.
Rush Limbaugh began broadcasting the following year, and you might say that's about the time infotainment was born. I think Fox news dropped anchor in the US around this time too.

During the Fairness Doctrine years, because of it, the news agencies, even if owned by for-profit companies, tended to operate like silos rather than entertainment profit centers mainly for compliance reasons. I don't think Walter Cronkite had corporate execs telling him what he could and could not say on air.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:35 pm

glennds wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:34 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:14 pm

[

Back in the pre-cable days, they all required FCC licenses to operate. An FCC law on the books called the Fairness Doctrine obligated them to separate news reporting from op ed, and news was mandated to be unbiased and objective, present both conservative and liberal points of view. The Fairness Doctrine was repealed in the Reagan administration, in 1987.
Rush Limbaugh began broadcasting the following year, and you might say that's about the time infotainment was born. I think Fox news dropped anchor in the US around this time too.

During the Fairness Doctrine years, because of it, the news agencies, even if owned by for-profit companies, tended to operate like silos rather than entertainment profit centers mainly for compliance reasons. I don't think Walter Cronkite had corporate execs telling him what he could and could not say on air.

I believe I have read that Greta Van Sustern (sp?) saying that Fox never told her what to say.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:44 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:35 pm

I believe I have read that Greta Van Sustern (sp?) saying that Fox never told her what to say.
Good one Vinny!