Trump reelection bid

If Trump announced he was going to run in 2024 would you vote for him knowing what you know today?

Yes
15%
No
85%

Total votes: 20
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump reelection bid

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:33 pm

Kbg wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:44 pm

Speaking of news sources...

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/14/10925807 ... defendants

There's some serious irony here...

But after NPR's reporting, a group of inmates organized and contacted NPR. In all, a dozen current and former inmates of C2B said they wanted the Patriot Freedom Project to be more transparent.

So what did I learn? Yep, there's some folks who have been held for quite a while. Most likely, deservedly so.

Read it all. The first several paragraphs are relevant to what we have been discussing in this topic. The rest is primarily about all the money that has been donated to their defense and how it has been divided (or not divided).

Inside the Washington, D.C., jail, where a group of defendants charged in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol have been held for as long as a year or more, a bitter divide is growing, current and former inmates say.

A combination of that intense proximity, the stress of criminal cases and a fight over more than a million dollars donated to support the defendants has contributed to the rift.

One inmate described the situation to NPR as "too many rats together in a small cage for too long."

"Tempers naturally get short," he said, with "cliques solidifying further into independent 'camps' as time progresses."

That inmate, like several others, told his story to NPR on the condition of anonymity to describe the pressure-cooker environment inside the jail. A dozen current or former inmates of the D.C. jail ultimately spoke to NPR and said that the divisions among some of the highest-profile defendants in the country are now boiling over.

It all started in the weeks immediately after the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol. FBI agents conducted a campaign of "shock and awe," in the words of a top prosecutor, making arrests as the Department of Justice rushed to bring charges. Most of the people arrested were allowed to go free while their cases worked their way through court. Judges decided a smaller group — often those facing the most serious charges or those who prosecutors worried might flee the country — should be locked up while they awaited trial. That decision presented authorities with a challenge: Where exactly should the government hold them?

Some ended up scattered in jails close to their homes. But a few dozen (the precise number has fluctuated) were incarcerated in the city where the Jan. 6 attack took place, in Washington, D.C.'s Correctional Treatment Facility. The District's Department of Corrections decided for the inmates' "own safety and security" to detain all of the Jan. 6 defendants in just one part of the facility, a section known as C2B.

The combination of a court backlogged with COVID-19-related delays, plus the lumbering nature of a massive federal criminal investigation, has stretched the "pretrial" period to as long as a year or more for some detainees. And so the decision to hold a disparate group of alleged Capitol rioters from all over the country — including people linked by prosecutors to the Proud Boys, the Oath Keepers and QAnon — in one section of the jail for a protracted period has had unintended consequences.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:37 pm

Desert wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:31 pm

I do think it's quite important not to watch trash cable news. I literally will not allow Fox News to be on in my house. I don't have a lot of rules like that, but I can't stand that channel. Same with MSNBC, though I don't think it's equal/opposite to Fox. For anyone watching someone like Tucker on a regular basis, I just don't think there's much hope of making it through that outrage machine with much left of your sanity. It's a mental health disaster.

My only exposure to the Main Stream Media is like now wherein I am using iTunes to listen to all of yesterday's Sunday News Talk Shows:

Meet the Press
This Week
Fox News Sunday
CNN State of the Union
Face The Nation

For Fox News Sunday Chris Wallace was an outstanding host. Though he is a clearly a conservative he pressed the conservative guests for answers as hard as he pressed the liberal guests.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:32 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:04 pm

Vinny, cool that you decided to read it. If you have the time or inclination, I'm interested in your, and others who read the book, take re:

1. What do you think the main theme and purpose of the book are?

2. What do you think of the significant events mentioned that correlate with some of the 9/11 and aftermath happenings?

3. If you were to develop an excel spreadsheet to aid your analysis, what would be on the x and y axis? What would that analysis show? I only ask this because I perceive you are extremely analytical and unbiased more than most.

4. Why do you think the book was so popular (I think over 100 weeks on NYT best seller list)?

5. What does your answer to Number 4 say about a Trump reelection bid? (thread topic).

FWIW, my very brief comments in no particular order of the book are: Spooky. Very engaging and a quick read. I'm somewhat reminded of Dan Brown books that are fiction but have sufficient facts to be head scratchers for many. I'm also reminded of denominations (mostly Evangelicals in the current use of the term) that base a lot on Israel and the Temple being rebuilt to their former glory. I thought the descriptions of how America has fallen away from God were pretty accurate. I had forgotten the location of the first US capitol. I fact-checked many of the events discussed; they are accurate.

Your original post motivated me to read the book. This one provoked me to finish it tonight so I could then finish the above tasks you assigned to me.

1. The obvious main theme of the book (stated several times in it) is that like Israel, God blessed America. However, also like Israel America turned its back on God. Unless America repented and went back to God ... God would unleash His Judgement on America as He did on Isael. The purpose is to get individual people to repent. It was not clear how America was to repent other than it was supposed to do so.

2. I thought that they were highly coincidental. It reminded me of an email I sent to the Yankees email group before the Yankees had a World Series game that night. I had to use my bicycle to get to the place that had fixed my car. That gave me a lot of time to think and I saw all kinds of signs that I interpreted in such a way that told me that the Yankees were going to win that night. It was a rare piece of humor from me. But I made a good case based upon all these "signs" I was seeing and interpreting.

3. I always say that if is has two columns and two rows then it is an Excel worksheet. But would not do my analysis of the book as an Excel worksheet. So no idea of what would be on the X axis and Y axis.

4. The book was so popular for one of the major reasons that Trump got so many votes. There is a huge population of America - white Evangelicals - who behave in a certain manner. Vote Republican - and in Trump's case - even more so. I have no idea how many books have to be sold to get on the New York Times best seller list, but I could easily see this book being pushed in churches and then the book reading portion of those congregations going out to buy the book. It was marginally better than The Shack, which I told was supposed to be a good one, but which I thought had little value.

5. I've detected no movement away from the White Evangelicals in their love for Trump. So he still has them to count on / depend upon. It's the independents who probably have no use for him.

When I got to the portion of the U. S. capitol, I was not paying full attention and wondering if the author knew that Washington was not the original capitol. But then I realized that he did and it was part of attempt to weave all these things together.

All he stated may have been accurate however the way he interpreted them is probably extremely inaccurate and off the mark. Did you not wonder how he did not engage in any prophecy himself? Like keep interpreting his main verse to tell us that in 2020 this epidemic would strike America and how it was tied in to 9/11?

In the next post I will put in a full review of the book that way better communicates way better than I ever could what is wrong with this book.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:33 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:33 pm

Below is a one start Amazon review of the book:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
🚧 moved here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12703
to make this thread more accessible. / DS
🚧
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:13 am

Vinny,

I agree with much, maybe most, of what you said about The Harbinger. Less about the one star reviewer's comments. I too thought The Shack was rather shallow; reminded me of Oprah Winfrey ;) I thought The Harbinger was a warning, an example of what happens when people/countries abandon God and try to "go it" their own way; an example that isn't nearly as clear as the Bible. Disaster follows, sometimes in this cursed world, always in the next. Again, thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:53 pm

Moved as many Twitter posts as I could find to their own thread, “Twitter” —
🚧 /DS
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:16 pm

If you can read it, this WSJ editorial talks about Trump lies versus the establishment lies.

https://apple.news/Anlym4quMRrWAIfGu8dBPQw
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:35 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:16 pm

If you can read it, this WSJ editorial talks about Trump lies versus the establishment lies.

Would have read it but cannot.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:41 pm

I Shrugged wrote:

It allowed me to read it. I think it is quite well written with tiptoeing the reader into how bad some of the establishment lies are and readily ignored because it furthers their cause.

I would think at least 90% of republicans are not happy with Trump's lies about the 2020 election but they also don't trust the media to report what actually happens. I was in the camp of put up the mass fraud evidence or shut-up.

I can't see how there is any denial that the establishment was against Trump with the Hunter Biden laptop news shutdown but I wouldn't want it to change an election that already took place.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:46 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:35 pm
I Shrugged wrote:

Vinny, if you use Chrome, this workaround might do the trick - try opening the link in an incognito window. Immediately after the window opens click the X in the navigation bar. The goal is to stop the page loading after the article loads but before the paywall hits.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:20 pm

^ That’s a good idea ^
I often put the ipad mini into Reader Mode with the same effect. (sometimes it loses initial paragraphs, though)
Also, for those who know how to do it, disabling Javascript often does the trick.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:21 pm

glennds wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:46 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:35 pm

I Shrugged wrote:

Vinny, if you use Chrome, this workaround might do the trick - try opening the link in an incognito window. Immediately after the window opens click the X in the navigation bar. The goal is to stop the page loading after the article loads but before the paywall hits.

Opened a fresh Chrome Window. Did not work.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:30 pm

whatchamacallit wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:41 pm

I Shrugged wrote:

It allowed me to read it. I think it is quite well written with tiptoeing the reader into how bad some of the establishment lies are and readily ignored because it furthers their cause.

I would think at least 90% of republicans are not happy with Trump's lies about the 2020 election but they also don't trust the media to report what actually happens. I was in the camp of put up the mass fraud evidence or shut-up.

I can't see how there is any denial that the establishment was against Trump with the Hunter Biden laptop news shutdown but I wouldn't want it to change an election that already took place.

Extreme amount of detail here on that laptop:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Bi ... ontroversy

The veracity of the Post's reporting was strongly questioned by most mainstream media outlets, analysts, and intelligence officials due to the unknown origin and chain of custody of the laptop and the provenance of its contents and due to suspicion that it may have been used as part of a disinformation campaign by Russian intelligence or its proxies.[10][11][12]

The New York Post published images and PDF copies of the alleged emails, but their authenticity and origin have not been determined.[22] According to an investigation by The New York Times, editors at the New York Post "pressed staff members to add their bylines to the story", and at least one refused, in addition to the original author, reportedly because of a lack of confidence in its credibility. Of the two writers eventually credited on the article, the second did not know her name was attached to it until after The Post published it.[23] In its opening sentence, the New York Post story misleadingly asserted "the elder Biden pressured government officials in Ukraine into firing a prosecutor who was investigating" Burisma, despite the fact that Shokin had not pursued an investigation into Burisma's founder.[20] The opening sentence also misleadingly stated that Hunter Biden introduced his father to Pozharskyi, but the purported email from Pozharskyi only mentioned an invitation and "opportunity" for the men to meet.[24][25]

According to the New York Post story, a person—who Mac Isaac could not identify because he is legally blind[34]—left the computer at the repair shop to repair water damage, but once this was completed, the shop had no contact information for its owner, and nobody ever paid for it or came to pick it up.[35] Criticism has been focused on Mac Isaac over inconsistencies in his accounts of how the laptop came into his possession and how he passed it on to Giuliani and the FBI.[35][31] When interviewed by CBS News, Mac Isaac offered contradictory statements about his motivations.[36] Thomas Rid, a political scientist and disinformation expert at Johns Hopkins University, noted that the emails could have been forged or that forged material could have been mixed with genuine materials, a "common feature" of disinformation operations.[37] The Daily Beast reported that according to two "individuals with direct knowledge", multiple senior officials in the Trump administration and reelection campaign were aware of the laptop hard drive "several weeks" prior to the New York Post story.[38] Giuliani later confirmed to The Daily Beast that he had informed Trump about the material before the New York Post story.[39]
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:02 pm

Vinny, do you still believe it was not Hunter's laptop or you just think they really thought it was fake at the time?

I will admit it probably seemed to be too crazy to be true in the moment but my understanding is that it has been proven to be real at this point.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:59 am

whatchamacallit wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:02 pm

Vinny, do you still believe it was not Hunter's laptop or you just think they really thought it was fake at the time?

I will admit it probably seemed to be too crazy to be true in the moment but my understanding is that it has been proven to be real at this point.

I did not finish reading that extremely long description in the Wikipedia entry.

Seems like it could have been his laptop. Not spent enough time to decide for certain.

But it seemed that in the moment there was a lot of doubt about it. Plus, the fact that Trump and others knew about it for weeks and said nothing seems to suggest that even they doubted its authenticity.

Getting back to his laptop. If we stipulate that it was .... what was found on it that proved anything that should have changed anyone's votes?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:00 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:59 am
Getting back to his laptop. If we stipulate that it was .... what was found on it that proved anything that should have changed anyone's votes?
Sapping a little enthusiasm from the Biden side would have been sufficient to change the outcome.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:16 am

Xan wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:00 am
vnatale wrote:
Sapping a little enthusiasm from the Biden side would have been sufficient to change the outcome.
I don't think so...serious analysis of the election results indicates the primary reason Trump lost was he got blown out of the water by suburban females and to a lesser extent males. Just cuz something excites Magaland doesn't mean it has significance for anyone else.

For someone more to the political center...Hunter Biden, Jared Kushner...help me detect any difference?

If I throw spaghetti at the wall it sticks pretty well to both kids (kid inlaw/daughter). If I throw it at Don and Joe, a lot more of it sticks to Don.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:24 am

Was it Biden enthusiasm that won the election, or was it mostly a negative referendum on Trump?
If the latter, then maybe Hunter's laptop dims some pro-Biden enthusiasm, but it certainly doesn't make the Trump stink any less pungent to the anti-Trump contingent.
Last edited by glennds on Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:51 am

Xan wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:00 am

vnatale wrote:

This a two part issue:

1) Trusting that it was his laptop.
2) Revealing all that was on it. My question remains. From what we know today what was on it that would have changed anyone's vote? I believe that a large number of Biden's votes were anti-Trump votes. Would not have changed any of those. Would not have changed the I'm Always Voting the Democrat Candidate votes. So whose votes would it have changed and based upon what was on the laptop?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:52 am

glennds wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:24 am

Was it Biden enthusiasm that won the election, or was it mostly a negative referendum on Trump?
If the latter, then maybe Hunter's laptop dims some pro-Biden enthusiasm, but it certainly doesn't make Trump stink any less to the anti-Trump contingent.

Exactly what I was just trying to convey.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:36 pm

Well, what is on the laptop spells out big time influence peddling by Hunter, with a cut going to Joe. Maybe this will get investigated eventually.

But yeah, it’s just Russian disinformation, nothing to see here. Move along.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:15 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:36 pm

Well, what is on the laptop spells out big time influence peddling by Hunter, with a cut going to Joe. Maybe this will get investigated eventually.

As much as I dislike Joe Biden .... he and his son are two different people.

Has anything been proven that he did this with his father's knowledge? If not, then how should it affect how someone evaluates his father?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:26 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:15 pm
I Shrugged wrote:

Has anything been proven that he did this with his father's knowledge? If not, then how should it affect how someone evaluates his father?
I’d say you have it reversed in your last sentence. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. I think I have previously mentioned the coverups related to his first wife’s death. He’s been corrupt for over half a century.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:30 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:15 pm
I Shrugged wrote:

It will take investigations to prove it. But on the surface the email evidence looks damning. If you haven't looked at it all, there isn't much use in me trying to tell you about it, really. Not trying to be mean, just that if you are interested, the laptop info is out there for review.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:31 pm

And that goes to the point of what the FBI and the useful ex-CIA leaders and the media and Big Tech accomplished before the election, if someone as well read as Vinny doesn't really have much of an idea of what was on the laptop.