How did YOU vote???!!

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How did YOU vote???!!

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:31 pm

joypog wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:59 pm

It was fun! Not as hilarious as the week before when all the fake verified accounts got released. But still a good spectacle. I wonder how many more events Elon can manufacture after the World Cup stops boosting his traffic numbers.

In the meantime, I hope all the engineers that were laid off / resigned in this month did a good enough job that the site could run on autopilot till their replacements are onboarded.

I must have been off Twitter for a day or two plus have little exposure to news so was quite surprised by all The End of Twitter talk. Somewhat similar to those predicting The End of the World.

Therefore I was surprised by so many tweets saying, "If this is my last tweet ever..."

Again, my reaction was that those people were guilty of gross overreaction.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:32 pm

Finally got around to reading this just now.

Quite good:

https://thedispatch.com/newsletter/gfil ... 7ltw%3D%3D

Democracy Is Not on the Ballot
Don’t despair for democracy, fight for it.

By Jonah Goldberg
Nov 4, 2022
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:43 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:31 pm
Where else should one indulge in meaningless apocalyptic fantasies, if not Twitter!

That said, Twitter is in precarious place. Overall, it was already an underperforming social media platform, but it maintained the position as the 900 pound gorilla for politics and news. If Elon decides to antagonize his liberal base and if those folks find a new place to go (like post.news with an anodyne CEO) then he'll have paid 44 billion for the privilege of firing/releasing 75% of the staff at an eventual Truth Social clone.

Of course, having a new place to go is a big IF...but google+, myspace, friendster, tumblr, are entirely plausible futures for aspiring SM magnates of the present and future.

If I had to guess, there are two sports-analogy paths for Twitter's future as the home of breaking political news. It may rebound like the NFL after weathering its concussion scandals - a guilty pleasure but still consumed by all...or Horseracing - still known, but far from the sport of kings.

I have no idea if Elon's erratic posting is plain crazy or like a fox. My conservative side says the former, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter - we do love our showmen!

Either way I doubt Mastodon will be the eventual winner. It would one helluva internet underdog story, but damn it's unintuitive to join.
Last edited by joypog on Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:53 am

joypog wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:43 pm
If Elon decides to antagonize his liberal base…
He’s just allowing people they don’t like to say things they disagree with.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:49 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:53 am
joypog wrote:
Letting Trump back onto the platform is one thing. The screenshot posted by vnatale is taking a victory lap-trolling-antagonizing-sore winning.

It's totally his right since he's the content moderator of his own platform.

But let's not bury our heads in the sand concerning what is generally considered polite behavior.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:11 am

Goldberg's best paragraph...

"Contrary to so many bromides about the glories of unity, democracy is about disagreement. It’s about arguments. It’s about racking up temporary victories and recovering from temporary defeats. Democracy doesn’t deliver permanent solutions or eternal social justice. It’s a hedge against tyranny and a way to settle differences without resorting to the sword. And that’s good enough."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:24 am

joypog wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:49 am
flyingpylon wrote:
joypog wrote:
Letting Trump back onto the platform is one thing. The screenshot posted by vnatale is taking a victory lap-trolling-antagonizing-sore winning.

But let's not bury our heads in the sand concerning what is generally considered polite behavior.
I was kind of assuming that was a fake account trolling. I guess it's hard to tell these days.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:45 am

joypog wrote:

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:31 pm

Where else should one indulge in meaningless apocalyptic fantasies, if not Twitter!

That said, Twitter is in precarious place. Overall, it was already an underperforming social media platform, but it maintained the position as the 900 pound gorilla for politics and news. If Elon decides to antagonize his liberal base and if those folks find a new place to go (like post.news with an anodyne CEO) then he'll have paid 44 million for the privilege of firing/releasing 75% of the staff at an eventual Truth Social clone.

Of course, having a new place to go is a big IF...but google+, myspace, friendster, tumblr, are entirely plausible futures for aspiring SM magnates of the present and future.

If I had to guess, there are two sports-analogy paths for Twitter's future as the home of breaking political news. It may rebound like the NFL after weathering its concussion scandals - a guilty pleasure but still consumed by all...or Horseracing - still known, but far from the sport of kings.

I have no idea if Elon's erratic posting is plain crazy or like a fox. My conservative side says the former, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter - we do love our showmen!

Either way I doubt Mastodon will be the eventual winner. It would one helluva internet underdog story, but damn it's unintuitive to join.

1) $44 BILLLION, not $44 million

2) The NBA was even worst off than the NFL. I remember way back around 1980 when the NBA was so unpopular that their finals were not even shown live but were, instead, shown at 11:30 PM on tape delay! Now it is wildly poplular all over the world.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:46 am

Xan wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:24 am

joypog wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:49 am

flyingpylon wrote:

joypog wrote:

I was kind of assuming that was a fake account trolling. I guess it's hard to tell these days.

Elon has mandated that all parody accounts be labeled as such. So that was from him.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:08 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:45 am

2) The NBA was even worst off than the NFL. I remember way back around 1980 when the NBA was so unpopular that their finals were not even shown live but were, instead, shown at 11:30 PM on tape delay! Now it is wildly poplular all over the world.
1) thanks for the correction. Fixed

2) I think the NBA is a slightly different case. Coming back from the dead is a great comeback story....but ever since the concussion stuff, I've had a hard time watching football, especially college ball. Watching the NBA may be a guilty pleasure for those who hate the Association's political leanings, but at least it's not three hours of young men practicing repeated brain damage. I know they're well compensated in the NFL so it's fair play and all that...but I like to pretend that I'm not a blood thirsty occupant of the Coliseum (while I regularly click refresh on Ukraine news...)
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:02 pm

barrett wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:19 am
jalanlong wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:47 pm
I have seen other explanations thrown out. Maybe the predictions of a Red Wave made Rs lazy and not motivated to show up. Or maybe that got Ds out to vote. And some pollsters claim the polls never predicted a Red Wave and that was a narrative created out of nowhere.

The interesting thing is that even though the Ds showed up more, exit polls still show 75% of voters want Biden gone in 2 years. That is going to be awkward. If he runs again he will have lackluster support from his own party. If he doesn't then he becomes an immediate lame duck.
Maybe the predictors of the red wave are the same people who prognosticate so confidently about which direction asset prices are going. O0

Or it could be that the red wave theory (RWT) was an accurate take on voters' views six months ago and that the purveyors (talking heads) were unable to change their narrative in the face of new polling data.

To the point of Biden maybe not running in 2024, in my head I keep coming back to Kbg's "crap sandwich" description of what our choice is for president every four years. Ditto for lots of Senate & House candidates. It's quite obvious that politics currently attracts very few of the best and brightest. Sigh. And Biden as a lame duck doesn't sound so bad.
So what does attract the best and brightest these days? I am told politics does not. Teaching does not either. I certainly do not see them in the banks I have worked at over the past 20 years. Are they all going into something specialized like corporate law or some such?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:29 pm

joypog wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:08 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:45 am

1) thanks for the correction. Fixed

2) I think the NBA is a slightly different case. Coming back from the dead is a great comeback story....but ever since the concussion stuff, I've had a hard time watching football, especially college ball. Watching the NBA may be a guilty pleasure for those who hate the Association's political leanings, but at least it's not three hours of young men practicing repeated brain damage. I know they're well compensated in the NFL so it's fair play and all that...but I like to pretend that I'm not a blood thirsty occupant of the Coliseum (while I regularly click refresh on Ukraine news...)

Now I understand your distinction. Playing basketball at the NBA level is definitely hard on their bodies but no where to the extent you describe above for football.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:30 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:02 pm

So what does attract the best and brightest these days? I am told politics does not. Teaching does not either. I certainly do not see them in the banks I have worked at over the past 20 years. Are they all going into something specialized like corporate law or some such?

The politicians are constantly telling us it is anyone who is in the military. But I always have a difficult time connecting that assertion with the fact that sexual assault in the military is at twice the rate it is in general society.