The Dems Set Some of the Darnedest Precedents

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Dems Set Some of the Darnedest Precedents

Post by vnatale »

Maddy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:22 am
Asperger's is an interesting subject that deserves its own thread.

It is generally described as "high functioning autism," consistent with the idea that autism presents on a spectrum. The idea of a spectrum (think linear) is probably a crude representation of what is really going on, since there are a whole lot of different presentations and because functionality has a lot to do with how well a particular set of abilities/disabilities fits into the cultural norm. A person who has trouble holding a job in a service-oriented economy may excel--and in fact define the norm--in a high-tech one.

In addition to the usual criteria, some defining characteristics I've noticed:

(1) Hypersensitivity to external stimuli--noises, touch, etc.--and the consequent need for a controlled environment.

(2) Inability to multi-task. A need to focus in on one thing at a time, usually intently.

(3) Inability to filter and process multiple simultaneous pieces of information from the environment.

Example: Can't sit down and do taxes until the room is cleaned up.

Example: Interpersonal interactions best when one-on-one. Interacting with two or more people at once becomes confusing and involves too much simultaneous processing of information.

Worst nightmare: A cocktail party in which one person is talking to you, the boss' wife is signaling for you to come over, there is loud music playing in the background, there are three other conversations going on within earshot, the smell of a woman's perfume is bringing back an unidentifiable memory from the past, a waiter with a tray has just approached and is vying for your attention, someone just told a joke that you didn't get and you're still trying to figure it out, there's a troubling waft of cigar smoke, etc.

(4) A great need for predictability. Difficulty adjusting to/accepting changes in plan. If an event is set for 3:00 and it gets put back to 4:00, many Aspies flip out.

(5) Difficulty planning and executing a series of steps toward a goal.

(6) A tendency to take things literally. A tendency to miss nuance and subtleties.

(7) A need to have social/emotional concepts explained in logical, left-brain terms.

(8) When confronted with an interpersonal problem (e.g., a marital problem), an Aspie will turn to research to solve it.

(9) Issues with trauma/chronic stress.

(10) Normal tone of conversation often viewed by others as pedantic.

(11) Inability to dance. Inability to understand why someone would dance.

(12) [For some] Inability to appreciate the real-world consequences of the pursuit of their special interests. (Think Bill Gates)

Thanks for this.

In my case ... 6 is a Huge one. 7 & 8 probably also apply.

To the counter...... Some have described me as the biggest multi-tasker they have ever encountered. Also, I'd regularly have on three sound sources - C-Span, sports talk radio, a replay of a baseball game - and let my attention drift to whichever was providing the most interesting content at the time. Now I either have only one but sometimes also two sound sources on at the same time. Though when I was exercising this morning in the living room I was both listening to C-Span on the TV and the music on the radios that is playing in both the kitchen and the bathroom.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:27 am
I got 30, in the "borderline indication" region. Interesting. I don't really identify with anything on Maddy's list, except for the dancing one.

I wouldn't say I have an inability to multi-task, but I do strongly prefer not to. And my filter is pretty good: I can (and will) focus on doing taxes no matter how messy the room is.

Higher than me!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Maddy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:40 am
Xan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:27 am
I got 30, in the "borderline indication" region. Interesting. I don't really identify with anything on Maddy's list, except for the dancing one.

I wouldn't say I have an inability to multi-task, but I do strongly prefer not to. And my filter is pretty good: I can (and will) focus on doing taxes no matter how messy the room is.

I scored a 37, but my score would be considerably higher if the criteria were broadened to include the spectrum of characteristics I listed (all of which are recognized features of autism).

I'm suspecting that there is a qualitative difference between Asperger's and autism, with the characteristics I've listed possibly weighing more heavily on the autism side.

I'd note that the test, aside from focusing on too narrow a spectrum of characteristics, fails to take account of the fact that many aspies have spent a lifetime learning how to compensate for their deficits so as to be able to "pass" in the workplace and to successfully navigate the social world. I learned, out of necessity, how to multi-task, though it will never come naturally and will always be enormously stressful. Out of necessity I even learned how to do a cocktail party successfully--but it will always be an exhausting ordeal--and in most respects a well-rehearsed performance.

Even higher than me!

You using the word "aspie" reminds me that after I wrote what I did last night that it had not been Bogledude's past comment that was the catalyst for me taking the test but that someone on a Solar forum who self-identified himself as an "aspie" and, seemingly, a high functioning one. That then led to me taking the test.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:09 am
11 on the test.

Back to the thread topic.

Biden’s SOTU address: Way more self-aggrandizing and some lying on display from years past. Audience more lively than previous addresses. Seemed to be more calling him out than I remembered. It saddens me that so many of our politicians are so self-serving. All in all, mostly the same old crap, just more in your face now than in years past. Who swallows this crap anyway and then follows up with ’please serve me more’?

1) Congratulations on your seeming normalness.

2) Just one more example why I could never vote for Biden and why I was ABB (anyone but Biden) when Obama was picking a vice president.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

glennds wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:54 am
Mountaineer wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:09 am
11 on the test.

Biden’s SOTU address: Way more self-aggrandizing and some lying on display from years past. Audience more lively than previous addresses. Seemed to be more calling him out than I remembered. It saddens me that so many of our politicians are so self-serving. All in all, mostly the same old crap, just more in your face now than in years past. Who swallows this crap anyway and then follows up with ’please serve me more’?

As an independent who wants to lean Republican, I'd really like to see the Republican party play it's strategy differently. At least going by the Sarah Sanders response, I think the Independent swath of the electorate is just tired of the continued proclamations of existential doom at the hands of the radical left.
And if Trump shows up with "only I can save you", it will just generate a lot of eye rolls. I wish we could see some specific or even semi-specific talk about Republican policies that will bring about change. Maybe gift wrap it in some forward looking optimism about how good life would be under those policies. A lot of voters would bite on that more than "pick me because the other side is just that bad". Too Reaganesque?

She was a curious choice in the light of this:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sarah-hu ... 0c7e0bb55c

15 Of Sarah Huckabee Sanders' Most Egregious Lies And Outrageous Remarks
The Arkansas governor, who's admitted under oath to lying to the press, will deliver the GOP's response to Biden's State of the Union address this week.

I believe that she may also be a "declinist".

That was the one positive thing someone had to say about Trump. That he was not one. That he could see the country getting better.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

glennds wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:54 am
Mountaineer wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:09 am 11 on the test.

As an independent who wants to lean Republican, I'd really like to see the Republican party play it's strategy differently. At least going by the Sarah Sanders response, I think the Independent swath of the electorate is just tired of the continued proclamations of existential doom at the hands of the radical left.
And if Trump shows up with "only I can save you", it will just generate a lot of eye rolls. I wish we could see some specific or even semi-specific talk about Republican policies that will bring about change. Maybe gift wrap it in some forward looking optimism about how good life would be under those policies. A lot of voters would bite on that more than "pick me because the other side is just that bad". Too Reaganesque?
Agree. It would indeed be refreshing to have a Reaganesque type emerge. Obviously he is not a Republican Party member, but Joe Manchin seems to care for the people more than most, but I don't know if I'd describe him as Reganesque.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

jalanlong wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:31 am

Can you explain how you are an extreme fiscal conservative but yet voted for Tulsi Gabbard? She does not differ from mainstream Democrats on fiscal policy much at all except in her objection to wasteful war spending. Her views on national health care and government intervention into free markets (esp financial industry) is pretty indistinguishable from other Democrats.

When you chose your vote for president it is based upon the mixed package that he or she represents.

Though I stated that I'm an extreme fiscal conservative I also stated that no party represents that.

Can you name any politician who does? They would never get elected if they were of my standards.

Aside from owing $2,000 in student loan debt after the last two years of undergraduate school followed by a year to get a masters I have never had any other debt - unpaid credit card, car loan, house mortgage. I have lived a super frugal life, way below my means. Quite un-American.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

vnatale wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:08 pm
Can you explain how you are an extreme fiscal conservative but yet voted for Tulsi Gabbard? She does not differ from mainstream Democrats on fiscal policy much at all except in her objection to wasteful war spending. Her views on national health care and government intervention into free markets (esp financial industry) is pretty indistinguishable from other Democrats.
When you chose your vote for president it is based upon the mixed package that he or she represents.

Though I stated that I'm an extreme fiscal conservative I also stated that no party represents that.

Can you name any politician who does? They would never get elected if they were of my standards.

Aside from owing $2,000 in student loan debt after the last two years of undergraduate school followed by a year to get a masters I have never had any other debt - unpaid credit card, car loan, house mortgage. I have lived a super frugal life, way below my means. Quite un-American.
But if you are an "extreme fiscal conservative" then there would have to have been Republicans that would have fit the bill better than Gabbard. Even if you don't believe Republican rhetoric about cutting spending or the debt, their voting records on spending would have to be better than hers. So that would suggest that social issues are more important to you in general (or at least for that election) and that her social views were so much better than anyone else in the race that you could ignore her being on the opposite side of you on fiscal issues.

I agree with you that I find no candidates of the 2 major two parties that agree with my extremely Libertarian stances. Because of that I choose not to vote. I couldn't begin to make a decision between two people (say Biden and Trump) who agree with me on so few things that I have to do back bends to figure out which minor issues I am in agreement with them on the most. So I apologize if it seems like I am nit picking but I am trying to understand how people make a decision to vote for someone who is on the opposite side of themselves on major issues. I understand your statement about mixed package of any candidate but fiscal policy is a pretty big one to be that far apart on. Her view on free college for everyone alone should be enough for a no-debt person like yourself to stay away!
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

Have you ever estimated how much you have saved in interest in your lifetime compared to the average person? My grandfather was the same way with zero debt and very frugal living. He never had to invest in stocks or anything but cds to amass a decent amount of money in life because of his savings habits.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

jalanlong wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:02 pm
Have you ever estimated how much you have saved in interest in your lifetime compared to the average person? My grandfather was the same way with zero debt and very frugal living. He never had to invest in stocks or anything but cds to amass a decent amount of money in life because of his savings habits.
I have more than one family member that meets this frugal description. My observation - in the end, yes, that approach probably resulted in interest savings, but their penchant for frugality caused them to forego opportunities. A good example would be sticking to their paid off home in a declining neighborhood while others were buying up to nicer, newer parts of town. The people who moved may have incurred interest expenses, but against assets that were appreciating considerably more than a paid off house that is not appreciating nearly as much. Not to mention a better lifestyle.

The profile of super frugal people usually also involves mistrust in financial markets so they tend to keep their money in the bank. For the past 20 years that has not been a good thing to do. Vinny is obviously not in that category, but my observation is too frugal can be as counterproductive as not frugal enough.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

glennds wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:41 pm
I have more than one family member that meets this frugal description. My observation - in the end, yes, that approach probably resulted in interest savings, but their penchant for frugality caused them to forego opportunities. A good example would be sticking to their paid off home in a declining neighborhood while others were buying up to nicer, newer parts of town. The people who moved may have incurred interest expenses, but against assets that were appreciating considerably more than a paid off house that is not appreciating nearly as much. Not to mention a better lifestyle.

The profile of super frugal people usually also involves mistrust in financial markets so they tend to keep their money in the bank. For the past 20 years that has not been a good thing to do. Vinny is obviously not in that category, but my observation is too frugal can be as counterproductive as not frugal enough.
Good point. There is a difference between going into debt to purchase an appreciating asset or something that will increase your income as opposed to a depreciating asset or (even worse) fast food or trips to the movies etc.

My grandfather did fit your bill of mistrusting financial markets. He thought stocks only worked for insiders and not for the common people.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

jalanlong wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:32 pm

But if you are an "extreme fiscal conservative" then there would have to have been Republicans that would have fit the bill better than Gabbard. Even if you don't believe Republican rhetoric about cutting spending or the debt, their voting records on spending would have to be better than hers. So that would suggest that social issues are more important to you in general (or at least for that election) and that her social views were so much better than anyone else in the race that you could ignore her being on the opposite side of you on fiscal issues.

I agree with you that I find no candidates of the 2 major two parties that agree with my extremely Libertarian stances. Because of that I choose not to vote. I couldn't begin to make a decision between two people (say Biden and Trump) who agree with me on so few things that I have to do back bends to figure out which minor issues I am in agreement with them on the most. So I apologize if it seems like I am nit picking but I am trying to understand how people make a decision to vote for someone who is on the opposite side of themselves on major issues. I understand your statement about mixed package of any candidate but fiscal policy is a pretty big one to be that far apart on. Her view on free college for everyone alone should be enough for a no-debt person like yourself to stay away!

Yes, fit the bill better. But still falling far short.

For how much I watch C-Span I get lots of exposures to candidates. So rather than just 20 second clips I would have heard her full 20 - 30 minute speech at someone's house or somewhat similar place. Then I'll also get to hear her talk to all the people as they come up to her in one's and two's.

I liked that she had been in the military and was now somewhat anti-war because he knew what the true costs of war were.

Who I really wanted to vote for was Amy K as the Democratic candidate. But she dropped out.

I am not sure if I knew about Tulsi's free college position, as that is a negative for me in a candidate.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

I have never done that estimation. But I have been gratified to later many times read that being a prodigious saver is major in building a portfolio.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

vnatale wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:32 pm
jalanlong wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:32 pm

Yes, fit the bill better. But still falling far short.

For how much I watch C-Span I get lots of exposures to candidates. So rather than just 20 second clips I would have heard her full 20 - 30 minute speech at someone's house or somewhat similar place. Then I'll also get to hear her talk to all the people as they come up to her in one's and two's.

I liked that she had been in the military and was now somewhat anti-war because he knew what the true costs of war were.

Who I really wanted to vote for was Amy K as the Democratic candidate. But she dropped out.

I am not sure if I knew about Tulsi's free college position, as that is a negative for me in a candidate.
For reference:

Gabbard backs Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders' proposal to eliminate higher education tuition for most Americans. She would make community college tuition-free for all Americans, and four-year public colleges tuition-free for students whose families make $125,000 or less per year. The plan would pay for that tuition by imposing a new tax on stock and bond trades.

Source: PBS News hour on 2020 Presidential hopefuls , Jan 14, 2019
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:33 pm
I have never done that estimation. But I have been gratified to later many times read that being a prodigious saver is major in building a portfolio.

Certainly saving is a major factor in building a portfolio. But what's the point of having a portfolio if you never spend anything? It's a difficult balance to strike.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:42 pm

Certainly saving is a major factor in building a portfolio. But what's the point of having a portfolio if you never spend anything? It's a difficult balance to strike.

I've been spending money on my house at an unprecedented rate since last spring. Still need to get a solar installation. But these days, if I want it, I buy it.

Just got my new computer yesterday. The same person who advised me which parts to buy also built it. The parts were about $2,000. Latest i7, 32 GBs RAM, 2 4GB SSDs, 4 GB HHD, video card supporting 4 monitors, 750 watt power supply. All high quality parts.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

Xan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:42 pm

This reminds me of the section in Harry Browne's book where he recommends establishing a "pleasure" budget. It could be for vacations, cars, luxury items, whatever. He raised the what's the point argument too.
His reasoning behind the pleasure budget was if you set the money aside and do so as part of your overall budget, it liberates you to spend that money free of guilt, knowing you can afford it and have planned for it.
I tried it, but only for family vacations, and sure enough, it made it much less stressful to spend the money when the time came because I was freed from my default frugal mode.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog »

whether or not the HBPP is the optimal portfolio, Fail Safe Investing is a classic that should be required reading for HB's insights on money and investing as a part of life.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

The Ukrainian crisis has nothing to do with Ukraine. It’s about Germany and, in particular, a pipeline that connects Germany to Russia called Nord Stream 2. Washington sees the pipeline as a threat to its primacy in Europe and has tried to sabotage the project at every turn.
It's probably time to rethink investment strategies when the reserve status of the dollar is so tenuous that they've resorted to blowing up pipelines.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

We've blown up plenty of countries. Cleanest dirty shirt in the hamper etc

So the use-case for crypto today is to get around the law. If the law gets more expansive...

https://bombthrower.com/brazilian-socia ... be-vaxxed/