Great article on the new politics

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Great article on the new politics

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:51 am

This is a long article in Vanity Fair that is a great read. I am posting it as a placeholder so I can come back later with more thoughts.

It’s more about where the right wing is headed but also about the center. The right wing is not, as Vinny wrote, what the Republican Party does or says.

And a lot about how elites are transforming the American West. Which I’ve seen firsthand.

I hope this is open access.

https://stocks.apple.com/AYmbzjL5jTAOj3Qf9r2NrOg

edit
Here is a straight link. Might not be free access for you, but it comes up for me from the above link, with no warnings.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/02 ... -civil-war
Last edited by I Shrugged on Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Great article on the new politics

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:25 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:51 am

This is a long article in Vanity Fair that is a great read. I am posting it as a placeholder so I can come back later with more thoughts.

It’s more about where the right wing is headed but also about the center. The right wing is not, as Vinny wrote, what the Republican Party does or says.

And a lot about how elites are transforming the American West. Which I’ve seen firsthand.

I did get access to the article but also got this:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (26.38 KiB) Viewed 6571 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:26 am

Thanks for the report, Vinny.
I hope other people can read it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:42 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:26 am

Thanks for the report, Vinny.
I hope other people can read it.

Based upon what I got if they'd not been there previously or for awhile I assume they will get the same access that I did. Hope to get it read today. Thanks for providing it.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:57 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:51 am

edit
Here is a straight link. Might not be free access for you, but it comes up for me from the above link, with no warnings.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/02 ... -civil-war

Read it.

Some responses.

I still stand by what I stated -- that today's right wing is represented by what the Republican Party is.

For the last 2 1/2 hours I've been doing my usual (half-) listening to the Conservative Political Action Conference (of course on C-Span!). It was competing with me also listening to yesterday's Yankees game plus doing things on these keyboards.

But some of what I did hear from this conference had a lot of the same that I read in the article.

I could not identify with any of the people in that article.

I would feel distinctly uncomfortable being among many of them.

Seemed like the vast majority of them belonged to the super rich.

It was ironic reading about them complaining about the global elites when almost all of them are clearly among the elites.

Also, ironic reading of them complaining about no one caring for the common person anymore while they want to go off and create their own countries where presumably there would be no common people.

I'd classify almost all of them as extremist in their views. Plus, I'd predict that many of them some years from now -- would repudiate what we read them saying in that article. That that was some kind of phase that they were going through, they'd been disillusioned. Now they are this type of person. Until they go into some other phase in their lives.

Too bad KGB is not active here.

He would destroy the author's assertion that the militia groups would be effective in starting some form of war. KGB persuasively explained to all of how our professional military would demolish these ill-prepared militia's.

Also, in regards to a new civil war and comparing it to our Civil War. The author tried to make the case that it could happen again due to economic differences. But the Civil War happened because there were differences in geographies wherein defined territories could be fighting one another. How does that happen today? Are we going to have the two opposing parties fighting one another in every town and city in the country?

It's illogical things like that which undermined the article.

The people in the article reminded me of the only phrase I remember from having read Animal Farm (at least three times).

"Everyone is equal but some of more equal than others."

It was not a balanced article. The author had a story to tell and he only used evidence to support that story.

Last week I was at 8 boys and girls high school basketball games. I just did not get the sense that many of those people I was among are feeling the same way towards life as those supposedly do as represented by their quotes in the article.

I saw little about the center in the article. I saw a lot of the new elite extremist right.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:09 pm

Military would split in a civil war. Eg Trudeau abused the emergencies act. The police sided with the truckers...they were the truckers.

The article https://i.imgur.com/OIP2nSa.jpg
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:18 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:57 am

Too bad KGB is not active here.

He would destroy the author's assertion that the militia groups would be effective in starting some form of war. KGB persuasively explained to all of how our professional military would demolish these ill-prepared militia's.

I remember those posts. Kgb painted a vivid picture of how laughable a fantasy it is that a "band of bubbas" would successfully take up arms and overthrow the government, and by extension the US military.
IMO militia groups are about as fringe as it gets. They live in their own echo chambers deluded into the idea that the general public would side with them when in reality 9.95 out of every 10 Americans would not. Disliking, or even hating your government is one thing. Leaving the evil you know to side with an angry band of bearded bubbas is another.

That article made me think about Abbott and Costello's Who's on FIrst.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:51 am

KBG
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:37 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:51 am
KBG

Yes. Hopefully he comes back to make his excellent contributions here.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:58 am

I think the militia types were a small part of the article, more of the sizzle than the steak. You'll get no argument from me about their potential effectiveness if directly confronting the US government. The govt does not do a lot of things well, but one thing they are great at is killing you if they so decide.

Those of you who have always been on a coast probably don't get what the mountain west is like. There are a lot of very independent people. Prepping a little or a lot, don't tread on me, all that. So they find some of the ones to interview to make the story juicier. But even the general conservatives out there have a lot of that in them, if not the militancy. Anyway,

The gist of the article is that the R party is coming unglued, and it's not what most people think it is. Many people are tired of giant global companies and the elites who are in their pockets. Tired of good jobs disappearing. Tired of mass immigration changing their countries. Tired of elites driving up the price of living. I see so many people who can't afford a house now. We've had some post here but not recently. It is a bad situation.

So, there is a growing number, sizeable, of people who might, might be reshaping the R party. Certainly they are having large effect.
And as the article says, it is not just a USA thing.

Also, the D party is not as solid as it seems. There is a lot of common ground for ordinary D and I voters with the main sentiments I listed above. What is keeping them D or I is probably mostly abortion and guns. Two issues that when you think about it, won't be solved to anyone's satisfaction anyway. Well, this is my own editorializing. I think there is a lot there in the article to chew on, if you can get past the sizzle.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:26 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:58 am

The gist of the article is that the R party is coming unglued, and it's not what most people think it is. Many people are tired of giant global companies and the elites who are in their pockets. Tired of good jobs disappearing. Tired of mass immigration changing their countries. Tired of elites driving up the price of living. I see so many people who can't afford a house now. We've had some post here but not recently. It is a bad situation.

So, there is a growing number, sizeable, of people who might, might be reshaping the R party. Certainly they are having large effect.
My family (parents, uncles and aunts) are all Republican and they are exactly as you described and not at all as Vinny portrayed. That was their #1 reason in voting for Trump is that they are tired of what they call the "country club Republicans" who they believe are almost as responsible as Democrats for the economic issues the county is facing. They are as tired of the Bushes as they are of the Clintons. That is a huge change for them from 10-20 years ago.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:24 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:26 pm

I Shrugged wrote:

My family (parents, uncles and aunts) are all Republican and they are exactly as you described and not at all as Vinny portrayed. That was their #1 reason in voting for Trump is that they are tired of what they call the "country club Republicans" who they believe are almost as responsible as Democrats for the economic issues the county is facing. They are as tired of the Bushes as they are of the Clintons. That is a huge change for them from 10-20 years ago.

To clarify ..... that was not me portraying what my ideas are of what Republicans are.

That was me reading the article and then attempting to repeat how the article was portraying the "new" Republicans.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:15 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:24 pm
jalanlong wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:26 pm
I Shrugged wrote:

To clarify ..... that was not me portraying what my ideas are of what Republicans are.

That was me reading the article and then attempting to repeat how the article was portraying the "new" Republicans.
Gotcha!