Occupied Land acknowledgements

joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Occupied Land acknowledgements

Post by joypog »

When did acknowledging that your institution is on “Located on Occupied and Unceeded XYZ Ancestral Homelands” become a thing?

Is it anything other than empty virtue signaling?
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Occupied Land acknowledgements

Post by vnatale »

joypog wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:30 am
When did acknowledging that your institution is on “Located on Occupied and Unceeded XYZ Ancestral Homelands” become a thing?

I have yet to encounter this. What are examples of this?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ArthurPooh

Post by ArthurPooh »

vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:53 am
joypog wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:30 am When did acknowledging that your institution is on “Located on Occupied and Unceeded XYZ Ancestral Homelands” become a thing?

From Perth Mint's website:
Acknowledgement of Country: We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which our business operates and lands throughout Australia. We pay our respects to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, and to Elders past, present and emerging.
Even in Australia. I thought the Koala Brothers wouldn't stand for this s**t. At least the Voice was rejected in a recent referendum.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

joypog wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:30 am When did acknowledging that your institution is on “Located on Occupied and Unceeded XYZ Ancestral Homelands” become a thing?

I’m reading ‘The Identity Trap’ book which details how various concepts made their way from fringe to academia to institutions and corporations. These include the stolen land declarations which you mentioned; rejection of universality and MLK’s idea of equality; a pro-segregation push which, in the end, is similar to what the old-school racists wanted; the twisting of intersectionalism and critical race theory into the strangeness that they are today.

It’s all very interesting if disturbing.

Bill Maher said:
https://youtube.com/shorts/A0riUtvuXLw? ... Dym9_tY5kg
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:40 am

I’m reading ‘The Identity Trap’ book which details how various concepts made their way from fringe to academia to institutions and corporations. These include the stolen land declarations which you mentioned; rejection of universality and MLK’s idea of equality; a pro-segregation push which, in the end, is similar to what the old-school racists wanted; the twisting of intersectionalism and critical race theory into the strangeness that they are today.

It’s all very interesting if disturbing.

Bill Maher said:
https://youtube.com/shorts/A0riUtvuXLw? ... Dym9_tY5kg

Almost totally unrelated but related.

Just one small example.

At all levels of basketball - high school / college / NBA - if your team is way ahead at the end of the game so that the outcome is no longer in doubt .... you don't try to score any more points. Supposed to be about sportsmanship. Paradoxically, somehow in all the prior minutes it was okay to get the score to where it is.

In the old days ... in all these same levels of basketball - once you reached that point in the game all the players in the game would be the guys who almost never played in games when the outcome was still in doubt. Therefore, they'd all be playing with a furious pace and it was entertaining to see these players who you rarely saw play and playing at such a pace.

Instead, now those same players are in the game but they are not allowed to do anything in the last minute (if they are on the winning team).

I could name other examples in basketball, other sports ... but something like this had to have started somewhere and now it is everywhere.

Who starts these things, how do they spread, how long do they take to get universally adopted?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
DogBreath

Post by DogBreath »

There are no examples of this. It doesn't exist, just like DEI doesn't exist.
DogBreath

Post by DogBreath »

See, the problem is that literally every grain of dirt was once inhabited by someone else (who wasn't a white male oppressor*) and conquered in some war, therefore, you are a POS and give that land back please.

The irony is that whomever your predecessors "stole" it from had "stole" it from someone else previously.

*Just bc you're Asian, don't think you aren't an oppressor. Asians count as white in the marginalization hierarchy.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

DogBreath wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:52 am

See, the problem is that literally every grain of dirt was once inhabited by someone else (who wasn't a white male oppressor*) and conquered in some war, therefore, you are a POS and give that land back please.

The irony is that whomever your predecessors "stole" it from had "stole" it from someone else previously.

*Just bc you're Asian, don't think you aren't an oppressor. Asians count as white in the marginalization hierarchy.
Careful, you will be on the list to be “reeducated”. 😉
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

DogBreath wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:48 am

I will plead 100% guilty to not sharing the current day paranoid mentality which is a child of the paranoid mentality of there being a Communist under every bed.

https://alphahistory.com/coldwar/reds-under-the-bed/

‘REDS UNDER THE BED’
DogBreath

Post by DogBreath »

vnatale wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:46 am

I will plead 100% guilty to not sharing the current day paranoid mentality which is a child of the paranoid mentality of there being a Communist under every bed.

‘REDS UNDER THE BED’
How is "not sharing the current day paranoid mentality" related to actual things literally going on every day in the US that you choose to pretend don't exist?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

DogBreath wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:38 pm
vnatale wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:46 am

‘REDS UNDER THE BED’

How is "not sharing the current day paranoid mentality" related to actual things literally going on every day in the US that you choose to pretend don't exist?

It's the same as those who thought Communism was so prevalent and embedded in our country that they perceived that there was a Communist under every bed.

I'm not pretending anything does not exist. I'm not believing that some things are as prevalent as you believe them to be.

There is murder going on every day in this country. Many murders. Does that make murder a prevalent occurrence where I live / in my life?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

ArthurPooh wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:18 pm

Acknowledgement of Country: We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which our business operates and lands throughout Australia. We pay our respects to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, and to Elders past, present and emerging.
Even in Australia. I thought the Koala Brothers wouldn't stand for this s**t. At least the Voice was rejected in a recent referendum.

Made me think of this:
https://youtu.be/ejorQVy3m8E?si=NWs-ZM7bzQm1Q8LE
Midnight Oil: Beds Are Burning

Can we embed YouTube videos?
ArthurPooh

Post by ArthurPooh »

I Shrugged wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:31 pm

Made me think of this:

I can't believe I was vaguely aware of this song (as in I recognize the tune) yet I've never associated it with Australia or any political themes. "Give it back" is a quite creepy line. And it seems somewhat grotesque to me that such a song is sung by a guy who looks like elderly Reinhard Heydrich.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

ArthurPooh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:54 pm
I can't believe I was vaguely aware of this song (as in I recognize the tune) yet I've never associated it with Australia or any political themes. "Give it back" is a quite creepy line. And it seems somewhat grotesque to me that such a song is sung by a guy who looks like elderly Reinhard Heydrich.
Oh, I remember him. Political was his middle name ::) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Garrett.

Those "Occupied Land" signs are quite common. Even the shopping centre I go to, has them at the entrance. Nobody pays any notice to them though..... My suspicion is that it's to placate a hard left state government here. Don't want to stand out and get hit with another tax or inquiry.
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
ArthurPooh

Post by ArthurPooh »

Hal wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:07 pm
Oh, I remember him. Political was his middle name ::) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Garrett.

Those "Occupied Land" signs are quite common. Even the shopping centre I go to, has them at the entrance. Nobody pays any notice to them though..... My suspicion is that it's to placate a hard left state government here. Don't want to stand out and get hit with another tax or inquiry.
It has that Havel's greengrocer feel to it, doesn't it?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

I Shrugged wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:31 pm

I well remember the song from hearing it many times in the early 80s. But as usual the lyrics went right be me as I primarily am focusing on the music with little regard for the lyrics.
Made me think of this:

ArthurPooh

Post by ArthurPooh »

Hal wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:07 pm
I know I'm beating this to death, and it's probably not nice of me to pick on someone's appearance like that, but I just cannot get over just how much does he look like a cartoonish stereotype of an evil colonizer in this music video. Especially in that goddamn hat. Had I watched the takes in an Aboriginal settlement without sound, I would assume he's ordering an execution of 100 randomly chosen natives as collective punishment for sheep-rustling.