The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:28 am

When I was a kid, the bullies decided that Wrangler’s were for dorks. We all switched to Levi’s and I have never looked back.
(Actually, that’s not true. I have worn LL Bean and Banana Republic for decades).
Anyway, it’s a great essay.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:59 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:28 am

When I was a kid, the bullies decided that Wrangler’s were for dorks. We all switched to Levi’s and I have never looked back.
(Actually, that’s not true. I have worn LL Bean and Banana Republic for decades).
Anyway, it’s a great essay.

Way back in 1969 when I started buying my own clothes .... Levi's were $5 and both Wrangler's and Lee's. Were $4. Both 20% less.

A sign of the both quality difference and demand for Levi's?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:02 pm

Oh I’d forgotten about Lee! We had some hot girls who wore Lee jeans and nobody questioned them. O0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:04 am

ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:22 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:04 am
for Wordle players
https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status ... 4349533193
Not good at all.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:25 am

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:22 am

Amazon Smile cuts off BLM Foundation.
https://gazette.com/news/amazon-boots-b ... 7d471.html
This is what happens when you fail to report millions of dollars that you received for your charity.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:57 pm

Seattle’s King County says bike helmets are racist.
https://thepostmillennial.com/seattle-k ... law-racism

However, many residents were quick to point out that this was likely designed to protect the "homeless" who are normally seen on the streets riding stolen bike shares cycles. Parts of the cycles as well as cycles stolen from neighbors are commonly found in homeless encampments around the city, many containing chop shops for bicycle parts.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:42 pm

Desert wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:28 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:57 pm
Seattle’s King County says bike helmets are racist.
No, they didn't say that. They said:

"However, data presented to the Board of Health has shown racist and discriminatory enforcement."

(italics mine)
That’s right. I stand corrected and I’m sorry for the clickbait.

I agree with Pug that if enforcement is problem, enforcement is what they should correct. Because if they throw out bike helmet requirements altogether, it almost looks like they’re saying the helmet requirement is the problem. Or that the enforcement problem is insurmountable.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:45 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:19 pm
And is it racist if more POC are ignoring the law, resulting in more tickets being issued to the group committing the infractions?
John McWhorter and Glenn Loury have applied this to crimes more serious than these tickets. Even with statistics on their side, and even though they are themselves black, it’s dangerous territory.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:58 pm

Got curious and found this - https://usa.streetsblog.org/2020/01/17/ ... s-are-bad/
we believe mandatory helmet laws have the potential to not only reduce the number of people biking, but to actually make bicycling less safe rather than more safe.

There is a safety in numbers effect to bicycling that not only reduces the rate of crashes and fatalities for people biking, but actually reduces the number of crashes, even as the number of bicycling trips increase.

Hmm.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:57 pm

Are they saying that wearing a helmet is fine, but requiring a helmet turns off people who fear "helmet hair"? And so they find some other mode of transportation just to avoid the helmet hair? And that reduces the number of cyclists, which in turn supposedly makes things less safer for cyclists overall -- the effect you referenced. Egad.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:01 pm

Desert wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:11 pm
dualstow wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:57 pm
Are they saying that wearing a helmet is fine, but requiring a helmet turns off people who fear "helmet hair"? And so they find some other mode of transportation just to avoid the helmet hair? And that reduces the number of cyclists, which in turn supposedly makes things less safer for cyclists overall -- the effect you referenced. Egad.

I just ran across this abstract, and have read a couple other related articles. It seems that when numbers of walkers or cyclists increase, car drivers adjust their behavior and crash into a smaller percentage of them. That does make sense: if your city is full of cyclists, drivers are going to be more accustomed to their presence and more likely to share the road with them.
Discussion: This result is unexpected. Since it is unlikely that the people walking and bicycling become more cautious if their numbers are larger, it indicates that the behavior of motorists controls the likelihood of collisions with people walking and bicycling. It appears that motorists adjust their behavior in the presence of people walking and bicycling.
Smaller percentage is a very different thing from smaller absolute numbers, which it certainly seemed like the original assertion was saying.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:34 am

Author of 1619 Project:
europe
europe
hjonescont.png (68.74 KiB) Viewed 7664 times
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:55 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:19 pm
How about don't force people to do anything that doesn't harm others? WTF, adults can decide for themselves if they want to wear a helmet or not.
But if there are no helmet mandates then people will all go without helmets, overwhelm the hospitals and then people with real illnesses will not be able to get care because of all the selfish people taking up ER beds. Next thing you know we are all locked in our homes for "14 days."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:00 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:55 pm

MangoMan wrote:

How about don't force people to do anything that doesn't harm others? WTF, adults can decide for themselves if they want to wear a helmet or not.

But if there are no helmet mandates then people will all go without helmets, overwhelm the hospitals and then people with real illnesses will not be able to get care because of all the selfish people taking up ER beds. Next thing you know we are all locked in our homes for "14 days."

I always wanted to wear seat belts but never could motivate myself to do so. Once it became the law I became 100%. Now when I get out of my car to go to my mail box across from my driveway that seat belt goes right back on to just drive across the street into my driveway.

Yes, I could have already done it on my own. But I had NEVER once prior done it. The law resulted in a super great habit for my life.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:49 am

Do you wash your hands after you use the toilet? Should that be mandated in law?
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:47 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:00 pm
jalanlong wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
I always wanted to wear seat belts but never could motivate myself to do so. Once it became the law I became 100%. Now when I get out of my car to go to my mail box across from my driveway that seat belt goes right back on to just drive across the street into my driveway.

Yes, I could have already done it on my own. But I had NEVER once prior done it. The law resulted in a super great habit for my life.
Would you be in favor of a law that mandated that you had to eat a certain amount of vegetables, fruits, fiber etc. each day? Or a limit to how much sugar you could eat? How about mandatory exercise?

I envision we all live in a world like the old Prisoner tv series where people watch us 24/7 and a voice comes thru your house speaker each day instructing you that is is time to do your daily exercises and if you slack off they yell at you thru the speaker...then they tell you the car is here to take you to the mess hall to eat the food they have prepared.

Once you agree to the thought that government has a duty to keep you safe from your own choices then you have lost the true meaning of individual freedom and you have opened a Pandora's box that has no limits. See the residents of 2 blocks in Melbourne who were forbidden to leave their apartments for 14 days after 1 resident in an apartment building tested positive for Covid.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/12/worl ... kdown.html
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:50 am

In a recent video about the Canadian threat to revoke travel privileges, Nomad Capitalist made an observation that has eluded me up till now. Namely that people in the west do not want or value freedom. Once you understand that, a lot of things make more sense.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:24 am

Want to be treated like a child.

Try your own conclusion about what that says about their mentality.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:51 pm

murphy_p_t wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:24 am
Want to be treated like a child.

Try your own conclusion about what that says about their mentality.
Sure but apparently it’s human nature once life becomes easy.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:40 pm

Well, as it so happens, we have a mechanism for giving those people exactly what they want. It's called guardianship, or in some states, conservatorship.

But how many of those people clamoring for the benefits and coddling of government would even think of subjecting themselves to such a thing? Not many.

What this tells me is that these people want the best of both worlds. They want the right to live as they choose, having the safety net of government there to bail them out of their decisions go bad, and sharing in the wealth that somebody else has produced. In other words, they want the rights of a free society without any of its responsibilities.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:21 pm

Maddy wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:40 pm
Well, as it so happens, we have a mechanism for giving those people exactly what they want. It's called guardianship, or in some states, conservatorship.

But how many of those people clamoring for the benefits and coddling of government would even think of subjecting themselves to such a thing? Not many.

What this tells me is that these people want the best of both worlds. They want the right to live as they choose, having the safety net of government there to bail them out of their decisions go bad, and sharing in the wealth that somebody else has produced. In other words, they want the rights of a free society without any of its responsibilities.
Not only that but one of the more disturbing realities of adult life is that I have been awakened to how many people get off on controlling other people's behavior. Inherent in the notion of freedom is not just that you can make your own choices in life, but that other people can make their own choices and you have to live with that fact regardless of your personal feelings. In essence you truly need to mind your own business. I am not sure if social media has caused it or if it has always been this way and social media has just shined a light on it but the majority of people just seem to not be ok with letting others live their lives as they see fit.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:18 am

murphy_p_t wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:49 am

Do you wash your hands after you use the toilet? Should that be mandated in law?

What are the consequences to not washing your hands versus the consequences of being in a car accident while not wearing a seat belt?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:20 am

jalanlong wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:47 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:00 pm

jalanlong wrote:

MangoMan wrote:

Would you be in favor of a law that mandated that you had to eat a certain amount of vegetables, fruits, fiber etc. each day? Or a limit to how much sugar you could eat? How about mandatory exercise?

I envision we all live in a world like the old Prisoner tv series where people watch us 24/7 and a voice comes thru your house speaker each day instructing you that is is time to do your daily exercises and if you slack off they yell at you thru the speaker...then they tell you the car is here to take you to the mess hall to eat the food they have prepared.

Once you agree to the thought that government has a duty to keep you safe from your own choices then you have lost the true meaning of individual freedom and you have opened a Pandora's box that has no limits. See the residents of 2 blocks in Melbourne who were forbidden to leave their apartments for 14 days after 1 resident in an apartment building tested positive for Covid.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/12/worl ... kdown.html

I can play the same game that so far two of you have played. Would you be in favor of anyone of any age being able drive a car with no age limits and no licensing requirements, including passing a driving test?