S&P 500

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

S&P 500

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:50 pm

It has been brought to my attention that the 6 FANG+ stocks make up 19% of the index cap.
Yikes.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: S&P 500

Post by Tortoise » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:32 pm

Has that not always been the case for the top 5 or 6 stocks in the S&P500? I.e., did market cap used to be less concentrated at the top?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:47 pm

You know what is amazing? How close market cap SPX funds and equal weight SPX funds like RSP are in performance over the last year, even though the latter has 1/500 slices of every company in the SPX. It's downright eerie.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:29 am

about 50 stocks dominate the entire wilshire 5000 , those 50 stocks can be extremely powerful and dominating .
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:52 am

You still get good diversity with an index fund, but I wonder how much better than buying and holding a basket of stocks it really is. In the new era of zero commissions, this might be worth a rethink. You'd want to buy and hold as opposed to constantly rebalance though. I bet we will start seeing some opinion pieces soon on this.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:20 am

sophie wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:52 am
You still get good diversity with an index fund, but I wonder how much better than buying and holding a basket of stocks it really is. In the new era of zero commissions, this might be worth a rethink. You'd want to buy and hold as opposed to constantly rebalance though. I bet we will start seeing some opinion pieces soon on this.
Or at least move to an equal weight fund. GSEW has 500 stocks equal weighted for .09 expense ratio.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:32 am

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:20 am
sophie wrote:
Or at least move to an equal weight fund. GSEW has 500 stocks equal weighted for .09 expense ratio.
Wow, thanks, GSEW seems to out-gun RSP.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:08 am

sophie wrote:
I subscribe to a lot of different financial boards and in the last year I have seen more and more people who seem to be on board with that. Perhaps it is the amount of brokers now that do not charge commissions and allow fractional share purchases.

A very popular trend I see is people buying 30-50 dividend growth stocks and just having that and cash, no bonds or gold. They say they ignore the market price fluctuations and just look at the (hopefully) increasing stream of dividends and are just creating their own cash flow/pension for later in life.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:13 am

No concerns that all those dividends create taxes?

Vinny
jalanlong wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:08 am
sophie wrote:
I subscribe to a lot of different financial boards and in the last year I have seen more and more people who seem to be on board with that. Perhaps it is the amount of brokers now that do not charge commissions and allow fractional share purchases.

A very popular trend I see is people buying 30-50 dividend growth stocks and just having that and cash, no bonds or gold. They say they ignore the market price fluctuations and just look at the (hopefully) increasing stream of dividends and are just creating their own cash flow/pension for later in life.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:13 am

Vinny
jalanlong wrote:
sophie wrote:

Vinny, have you noticed that nobody else here does top-posting, and when you do, it makes conversations difficult to read?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:26 am

Had not noticed.

However, my preference is that all did the same as I do since I view the latest as new material and the prior as footnotes.

Part of my being in independent in many ways.

Vinny
Xan wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 am
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
jalanlong wrote:

Vinny, have you noticed that nobody else here does top-posting, and when you do, it makes conversations difficult to read?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:44 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:26 am
Had not noticed.

However, my preference is that all did the same as I do since I view the latest as new material and the prior as footnotes.

Vinny
Xan wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

I don't think it's realistic to expect everyone else to change, but if you're okay with people having trouble reading posts you participate in, okay by me.

I'm not sure it qualifies as "independent" if you want everybody else to do things the way you do them, though.

The quoted bits are the part being replied to, so it's like having a recap of last week's episode at the start of the new episode instead of after it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:11 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:50 pm
It has been brought to my attention that the 6 FANG+ stocks make up 19% of the index cap.
Yikes.
You have two choices, I Shrugged: buy the broad market (well, S&P 500 isn't bad, or VTSAX (most of the stock market) or build a time machine. It's usually a few stocks that carry the gains (and the losses), but it's not easy to find them early on.

Top-posting: I'm guilty of that, too, although I usually only do it if I'm quoting a post immediately above.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:21 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:44 am
vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:26 am
Had not noticed.

Vinny
Xan wrote:

I don't think it's realistic to expect everyone else to change, but if you're okay with people having trouble reading posts you participate in, okay by me.

I'm not sure it qualifies as "independent" if you want everybody else to do things the way you do them, though.

The quoted bits are the part being replied to, so it's like having a recap of last week's episode at the start of the new episode instead of after it.
We'll see if this works.

But an expanded "independent" answer. My "independent" answer was not meant to say "and, I expect others to do it my way." It meant I independently decide for myself. And, that generally means I also think it's a better way for others.

I've been in my email discussion groups. And, over the decades there have been the top versus the bottom debate.

My reasons for top:

1) I've read so many emails that are long, long, long, long. It takes me forever to get to the bottom of them, scrolling through things I've already seen and read, just so I can read someone writing two words like, "I agree."

2) Of course, it will also take me that same amount of time to get to the bottom for me to write anything.

3) I prefer to immediately see the new on top. In regards to prior discussion, a. I can infer what is on the bottom from the context of the fresh response b. If I've been actively reading the discussion, I remember what is below. c. If a. and b. don't work, it's all there on the bottom for me to find.

4) When I think of the emails (both personal and business) it does seem that most of the world has moved to responded on the top?

Vinny
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:17 pm

I'm going to check with my trading coach (Novell) concerning MOC orders and ETFs with low volumes. I've heard Meb Faber discussing this topic, and his contention is that as long as the underlying securities are liquid, the ETF will be also. Of course, spreads will be larger, but I'm thinking MOC orders would eliminate all concerns about spreads, you just get the underlying at the close.

"Hey Peter,

No MOC orders don't get around the issues associated with low volume if your order is large enough to move the price at the close. Happens very very rarely but it can happen.

Paul"
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:58 am

I need to be educated on the issue of low volumes but if I am going to buy and hold this ETF in my PP for many, many years (I hope), what is the issue for me purchasing this instead of a higher volume etf?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:18 am

jalanlong wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:58 am
I need to be educated on the issue of low volumes but if I am going to buy and hold this ETF in my PP for many, many years (I hope), what is the issue for me purchasing this instead of a higher volume etf?
For buy and hold, definitely choose lower expense ratios. You just don't want a tiny $20 million ETF which is on the Death Watch List.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:40 pm

What better argument for equal-weighting in your stock allocation? (Lisa A. always has the best tweets).
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-11-24 at 12.38.53 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-11-24 at 12.38.53 PM.png (289.33 KiB) Viewed 12553 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:05 pm

Seems like a good argument for holding some Apple and Microsoft.
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:27 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:05 pm
Apple and Microsoft as the VP then? Or Apple as Core? ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:41 pm

ochotona wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:27 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:05 pm
Apple and Microsoft as the VP then? Or Apple as Core? ;D
Apple core has a ring to it. :-)
I hold both in my vp but certainly not as the vp. You know, after a cup of coffee you can read up on virtually any company and it looks good. Dangerous.
RIP Marcello Gandini
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:31 pm

The problem with individual stocks is you not only have to know all about the company you bought but you better know what the competition has on their drawing board
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:33 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:31 pm
The problem with individual stocks is you not only have to know all about the company you bought but you better know what the competition has on their drawing board
Which is of course impossible to know.
RIP Marcello Gandini
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:31 pm

Exactly .....so individual stocks take on a whole other level of risk that broad based funds don’t have ...individual company risk is a biggie
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:20 am

What really strikes me as interesting is how many different schools of thought there really are in investing.

The efficient market guys; the value investing guys; the factor tilters; the stock pickers; they talk past each other almost as if they're speaking a totally different language.

A basic disagreement on the realities of how the market functions -- the axioms, if you will -- lead to these totally different world views on how to deploy your capital.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.