PP vs Dividend Growth Investing

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP vs Dividend Growth Investing

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:35 pm

This thread is honestly just becoming bizarre, circular, and for the most part, pointless. :o :o
e + 1 = 0
Anything is a server if you're brave enough.
The Permanent Portfolio will be safe enough to walk away from and forget about completely only if it allows for more than just the problems and hazards that are obvious today. It will have to allow for all of the unforeseeable events of the next 5, 10, 15, or 20 years.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:16 pm

I agree ,around and around we go ...but it really is such a simple concept because total return is always the entire story no matter what .

But like everything in life , once you start to imagine all kinds of scenarios to throw in to the mix it just becomes not based on math and the facts but on all kinds of personal assumptions that don’t change things but make following the money trail more difficult to see .

It reminds me of a corrupt money trail where it takes all different transformations and you lose sight of the basics .

I think everyone gets the idea and can decide for themselves which camp they are in And what it means for their own personal plan
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:24 pm

Agreed, I think we're finished here.

It seems to boil down to:
* Do you assume that a company's stock will keep increasing forever, or will the company eventually stop operating
* Do you care more about realized gains or paper gains
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:27 pm

Keyword is care about realized vs unrealized ....not caring at a particular time is very different from the usual myth you hear of it is only on paper so it does not count

It always represents your net worth and value .whether you have reason to care at that moment is a whole other thing ..

That retirement success rate as well as draw does not care realized or not ...just take the snap shot ,it all counts

So finally we agree on that point
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:36 pm

So, who here likes pizza?
e + 1 = 0
The Permanent Portfolio will be safe enough to walk away from and forget about completely only if it allows for more than just the problems and hazards that are obvious today. It will have to allow for all of the unforeseeable events of the next 5, 10, 15, or 20 years.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:44 pm

We got great ny pizza ..........
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:47 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:24 pm
Agreed, I think we're finished here.

It seems to boil down to:
* Do you assume that a company's stock will keep increasing forever, or will the company eventually stop operating
* Do you care more about realized gains or paper gains
It was a long but good debate ...it certainly made people daring to read, and follow along to think about things ,which is what a good discussion should do ....

Sleeping with the enemy is the best way to learn ......
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:50 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:44 pm
I personally am very partial to pineapple on pizza, despite how reviled it frequently is.

Almost all pizza toppings are savoury. That's a risk that can be diversified away. Adding a sweet topping like pineapple provides a diversification benefit to the overall flavour "portfolio."

Anyway, good debate guys. At the very least it keeps this forum lively and active, and we all learn as Mathjak mentioned.
e + 1 = 0
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:41 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:50 pm
mathjak107 wrote:
I personally am very partial to pineapple on pizza, despite how reviled it frequently is.

Almost all pizza toppings are savoury. That's a risk that can be diversified away. Adding a sweet topping like pineapple provides a diversification benefit to the overall flavour "portfolio."

Anyway, good debate guys. At the very least it keeps this forum lively and active, and we all learn as Mathjak mentioned.
When I was in HS, after sports practice we would sometimes go to CiCis pizza buffet. Their desert pizza was fantastic. It was more of a strudel, though. Haven't been to one since then, I wonder if they're still around.
All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:22 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
mathjak107 wrote:

We have a local pizza place in queens that does French toast pizza ,it is insane
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:54 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:41 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
mathjak107 wrote:

When I was in HS, after sports practice we would sometimes go to CiCis pizza buffet. Their desert pizza was fantastic. It was more of a strudel, though. Haven't been to one since then, I wonder if they're still around.
Was that the all you can eat for $2.99 place? There's one of those near Schlitterbahn. We used to DEMOLISH it after a day at the water park. I don't know how they stayed in business (and probably don't want to).
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:19 pm

Xan you said buybacks are a form of dividend, so instead of using the term "dividend" use net profits or total return. Dividend is special case of forced quarterly cash distribution, sometimes even when profits are declining.