Moderator: Global Moderator

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP vs Dividend Growth Investing

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:17 am

Kbg wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:45 am
Also, the only reason the company has any value is its theoretical future dividend, as has also been proven.

This is incorrect and is not proven. All you have to do to realize this statement is incorrect is do a Charlie Munger “invert, always invert.” Let’s try it. The only reason there is a dividend is because a company has value...categorically false. Companies do not have to pay dividends and most do not and very unprofitable businesses can pay dividends right up to the point they go bankrupt.

If you changed dividends to profits, then it works. You seem unwilling to recognize several things can be done with profits.
Spot on ..when you have profits and share appreciation in a company you have choices ..you can pay out or not ......either way if the gains are there investors will come,

No appreciation in share price and a payout leaves you with zero return ...not one dollar increase anywhere for your invested dollars ....so all value starts with share appreciation or you got no gains no matter what they pay out
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:21 am

I agree.

However, I do wish US tax law was more neutral on this and it should be. It would give shareholders more power in forcing dividends for companies that probably should be paying dividends vs retaining earnings.

The downside of not having a neutral tax code is it leaves effective business valuation almost completely to the whims of speculative forces which as we all know are manic.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:30 am

My position isn't based on how many companies do pay dividends. It's just that fundamentally, that is the only (effectively, barring buybacks) mechanism for investors as a whole to realize gains.

InsuranceGuy, I'm not sure what you're saying on how swapping around cash and shares for the same shares is not a zero-sum game. Are you considering realized gains, or just theoretical gains?

Okay, so many companies could but don't issue dividends, largely because of tax implications. Doesn't mean that the backstop on their value isn't that they have money that they could pay out.

I don't think business going under while paying dividends disproves my point at all. If a business is going under, that may be the time I MOST want them to pay dividends, rather than putting the money back into a sinking business.

Mathjak, I certainly understand the tax differences between rent and true dividends makes taking your "dividends" from rental properties much more palatable than stock dividends. But we're talking about fundamentals, not tax details. I believe that the dollar in rent you get out DOES reduce your value in the "company", just as a dividend does. Because you could instead put that dollar back into the property in the form of improvements. This is exactly analogous to a public company. You don't do that, because you don't think you'd be increasing the rent you could get in the future as much by doing so (you're following Buffet's advice on when to issue a dividend). You're weighing the future rent increase (dividend) that would be possible by keeping the rent in the "company" and deciding to take the dividend now instead.

That also happens to be the point that you said you'd find some other investment: when more money isn't useful to it for improving itself. Will you be divesting your rentals? :-)
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:42 am

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:44 am

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:42 am
Xan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:30 am
InsuranceGuy, I'm not sure what you're saying on how swapping around cash and shares for the same shares is not a zero-sum game. Are you considering realized gains, or just theoretical gains?
I'm not saying anything about gains, only that earnings for investors are created regardless of distribution and that when earnings are retained they can be cashed out any time by selling some (or all) of their shares.
Not as a whole, though, right? Any "earnings" an investor gets from selling is just the amount another investor is down.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:29 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:44 am
InsuranceGuy wrote:
Xan wrote:
I'm not saying anything about gains, only that earnings for investors are created regardless of distribution and that when earnings are retained they can be cashed out any time by selling some (or all) of their shares.
Not as a whole, though, right? Any "earnings" an investor gets from selling is just the amount another investor is down.
I think you've said this a few times and I'm still not understanding it.

If you bought your shares at the accounting net book value of the company three years ago and now sell me those shares at their current accounting net book value (which produced a gain for you) how am I now down in any way? In theory I could turn right around and sell it in the next minute for exactly what I paid for it.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:40 pm

Xan wrote:
InsuranceGuy wrote:
Xan wrote:
Silly reasoning. 362k in gains last year says this is absolutely ridiculous logic in investing
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:07 pm

May I just say that I really appreciate Vinny asking for clarification on a point, as opposed to Mathjak just saying it's silly and then going off on yet another non-sequitur.

Vinny, I tried to illustrate this point in an earlier post.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10382&start=72#p185948
I'll put a brief excerpt here.

In 1950, a company that Investor A founded goes public, and A divests himself. B and C buy the shares. In 1960, B "makes his own dividend" and sells half of his interest to C.

The point is that the bottom-right cell, the all-time total gain for all investors, never budges. Investors swapping shares between each other is a complete non-event from the perspective of realized dollars. It's zero-sum. B got some cash, only because that cash came from D, not from the company.

That bottom-right cell only changes when the company pays a dividend. That's when investors as a whole, or maybe I should say as a group or as a class, get any reward at all from holding the company.

1950. Company valued at $100,000. Company has $0 in retained earnings/savings.
Investor Shares owned Amount spent on stock Amount earned from stock All-time total gain
A 0 $50,000 $100,000 $50,000
B 5,000 $50,000 $0 $-50,000
C 5,000 $50,000 $0 $-50,000
Totals 10,000 $150,000 $100,000 $-50,000

1960. Company valued at $350,000. Company has $250,000 in retained earnings/savings.
Investor Shares owned Amount spent on stock Amount earned from stock All-time total gain
B 2,500 $50,000 $87,500 $37,500
D 2,500 $87,500 $0 $-87,500
Totals 10,000 $237,500 $187,500 $-50,000

The bottom right cell is always the total amount the company has distributed in dividends, minus the initial startup cost. Which makes sense. That's exactly how a sole proprietorship would clearly work, and it makes sense that swapping shares around between people wouldn't change that, no matter what their value at the time of the swap.

Any individual investor, like our resident hotshot investor, may be up. But if he is, it's because someone else is down.

Every investor is either hoping for a dividend, or is hoping to sell to someone who's hoping for a dividend. Or hoping to sell to someone who's hoping to sell to someone who's hoping for a dividend. Etc. At the bottom is always the dividend.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:39 pm

it is simple math ... if your net worth is up a dollar regardless how , than you have a gain .

if you get a forced withdrawal of a dollar by the company and a matching dollar off your balance there are no additional dollars added and no gain without the same or greater appreciation in share price which already took place pre ex div

there is nothing else to look at..

you can spin it any way you like ...just look at your starting balance and ending balance on the investment plus the payouts .. it tells all
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:48 pm

Xan wrote:
InsuranceGuy wrote:
Xan wrote:
nope ... everyone can be a winner when selling or everyone can be a loser or a winner and a loser ...

we buy an investment -we sell an investment ..the difference is my gain ... my buyer invests his money and buys it from me and he sells the investment later on to someone else , that is his gain ... if he does not sell , then his gain or loss is where that investment stands at any given time ...just like my portfolio when i calculate each years draw

that is the real world
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:55 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:14 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:07 pm
May I just say that I really appreciate Vinny asking for clarification on a point, as opposed to Mathjak just saying it's silly and then going off on yet another non-sequitur.

Vinny, I tried to illustrate this point in an earlier post.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10382&start=72#p185948
I'll put a brief excerpt here.

In 1950, a company that Investor A founded goes public, and A divests himself. B and C buy the shares. In 1960, B "makes his own dividend" and sells half of his interest to C.

The point is that the bottom-right cell, the all-time total gain for all investors, never budges. Investors swapping shares between each other is a complete non-event from the perspective of realized dollars. It's zero-sum. B got some cash, only because that cash came from D, not from the company.

That bottom-right cell only changes when the company pays a dividend. That's when investors as a whole, or maybe I should say as a group or as a class, get any reward at all from holding the company.

1950. Company valued at $100,000. Company has $0 in retained earnings/savings.
B 5,000 $50,000 $0 $-50,000
Totals 10,000 $150,000 $100,000 $-50,000

1960. Company valued at $350,000. Company has $250,000 in retained earnings/savings.
B 2,500 $50,000 $87,500 $37,500
D 2,500 $87,500 $0 $-87,500
Totals 10,000 $237,500 $187,500 $-50,000

The bottom right cell is always the total amount the company has distributed in dividends, minus the initial startup cost. Which makes sense. That's exactly how a sole proprietorship would clearly work, and it makes sense that swapping shares around between people wouldn't change that, no matter what their value at the time of the swap.

Any individual investor, like our resident hotshot investor, may be up. But if he is, it's because someone else is down.

Every investor is either hoping for a dividend, or is hoping to sell to someone who's hoping for a dividend. Or hoping to sell to someone who's hoping to sell to someone who's hoping for a dividend. Etc. At the bottom is always the dividend.
This one took much less time to analyze. Did not put the time in to properly analyze the much longer one you originally created.

However, shouldn't your column entitled "Amount Spent on Stock" be more properly labeled "Net Amount Spent on Stock" and reflect the amount from the column "Amount Earned from Stock"? And, that column should be really split into two columns - "Return of original basis" and "Gain (loss) from original basis".

Then the "New Amount Spent on Stock" (for the 1950 transaction) would be reduced by $50,000, retaining the original $100,000 investment.

Continuing to just focus on the 1950 example (as it's always amazing to me how complicated the analysis can get for even the most simplest of transactions) I'm seeing the following personal financial statements for all involved from strictly the one transaction you have here.

1) A - Cash of $100,000 and Equity of $100,000. The Cash came from his original $50,000 plus the $50,000 appreciation of the stock. The Equity came from having an initial $50,000 Equity to make the investment which then gets increased by the $50,000 gain on the sale.

2) B & C - Before the sale they each had $50,000 of Cash and $50,000 of Equity. They now jointly give up $100,000 in Cash to transform that $100,000 of Cash into another Asset (their investment in this company). At this point their total Assets remain unchanged. As does their Equity remain unchanged at $100,000. They've just jointly decided to deploy their Equities into a different form of asset.

As an accountant the only way I can analyze certain things is through the basic Accounting Equation -- Assets = Liabilities + Equity

For all three investors I'm seeing the following:

ASSETS

Cash: +$50,000 (A1) - $50,000 (A2) + $100,000 (A3) - $50,000 (B) - $50,000 (B) = -$0

Company Value -- +$50,000 (A2) + $50,000 (A3) - $100,000 (A3) + $100,000 (B&C) = $100,000

EQUITY
Equity -- +$50,000 (A1) + $50,000 (A3) - $100,000 (A3) + $50,000 (B) + $50,000 (C) = $100,000

I've never done an analysis like this but I think my intuition (and what Mathjak has been adhering to) is represented by what I state above.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:27 pm

all the math in the world and all the spins you want to put on it , can't change the fact a hypothetical 9% total return does not matter if it is a 9% dividend , 9% appreciation or a combination of both ...except for taxes there can not be one difference in your balance or cash flow ... ever!

it does not matter what the stocks are , the total return is inclusive of all as far as what it means to you as an investor
Last edited by mathjak107 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Another difference in assumptions may be that I assume all companies will eventually wind down and stop operating. And in the housing example, I assumed the house fell over after 50 years. If you follow my example down to the end, then the company winds down and distributes everything that's left as a dividend.

Vinny, do you agree that if the value of the shares eventually goes to zero, that my assertions end up being true?

So maybe what Mathjak and InsuranceGuy are saying is true, that everybody will be a winner without dividends, as long as it's true that the company keeps going, and growing, forever without limits. And that what I say is true if the company will eventually stop operating.

I suppose it's up to the reader to decide which scenario is more likely.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:29 pm
Another difference in assumptions may be that I assume all companies will eventually wind down and stop operating. And in the housing example, I assumed the house fell over after 50 years. If you follow my example down to the end, then the company winds down and distributes everything that's left as a dividend.

Vinny, do you agree that if the value of the shares eventually goes to zero, that my assertions end up being true?

So maybe what Mathjak and InsuranceGuy are saying is true, that everybody will be a winner without dividends, as long as it's true that the company keeps going, and growing, forever without limits. And that what I say is true if the company will eventually stop operating.

to be honest , you really have to stop trying to spin things with the what if's ... everything is based on reality and what you see is what you got ...

once you start throwing personal assumptions in to the mix we can say don't invest at all because the world can end . so we need to compare apples to apples with what we know .

and we know mathematically all total returns regardless of composition work the same . so does them force selling your money from the investment or you voluntarily selling some money from the investment

Last edited by mathjak107 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Xan wrote:

those who reinvested their dividends would go down with the ship regardless.. everyone else would either go down with the ship or sell .... no different than any other blue chip company circling the drain of which we have a graveyard full .
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:41 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:37 pm
Xan wrote:

those who reinvested their dividends would go down with the ship regardless.. everyone else would either go down with the ship or sell .... no different than any other blue chip company circling the drain of which we have a graveyard full .
So we have a graveyard full of dead blue chips, but it's a "personal assumption" to assume that companies will go to zero one day?
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:56 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:41 pm
mathjak107 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:37 pm
Xan wrote:

So we have a graveyard full of dead blue chips, but it's a "personal assumption" to assume that companies will go to zero one day?
irrelevant .. those who did not like the performance would have sold .. those who reinvested and didnt sell crashed and burned . those who reinvested and didnt like the performance sold in either case ...so there is nothing different here .

in fact i would say on those failed blue chips , investors speculated all the way down once performance slipped and were not the original investors from the heyday .

again you are trying to visualize some scenario that is really not likely to play out in real life .

anyone who is not going to ride herd on an individual stock regardless if dividend payer or not and not have an exit point if things go wrong is the proverbial village idiot and does not belong investing in individual stocks .

remember that dividend payer if it is doing poorly is taking a double hit down .. market action may pull the stock down 10% but a 10% dividend being paid with a 10% roll back on an already down 10% loss in share price is a 20% drop .... think that should raise an eyebrow you are getting burned ? a non div payer would show just a 10% loss not 20% so again apples to apples in real life situations .
Last edited by mathjak107 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:04 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:07 pm

it is easy to see what i am saying .

repeat after me , a total return is a total return regardless of how it is composed ... all get the same income draw potential and balance ..it can't be any different , except for taxes . when i take my 4% draw every january and i rebalance to raise spending cash , the money i draw couldn't care less how it is composed . all it cares about is that it is 4% of my portfolio value , realized or not , dividends or appreciation .

see how simple .
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:19 pm

Xan wrote:

I'm trying to answer the question.

If the company eventually goes worthless after your 1950 analysis then A would have realized a $50,000 gain while B&C would have realized a collective $100,000 loss, for a net loss of $50,000, which is what you have been saying all along.

Then I have to agree with all you have stated above.

However, I don't think anyone ever makes an investment in any company with the expectation that the company will eventually stop operating, do they?

Or, maybe they do in my earlier example wherein the Venture Capitalists know that a certain % of their company investments will go to zero. But they don't assume that will happen to any specific company and assume that overall they will be a net winner.

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:23 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:19 pm
Xan wrote:

If the company eventually goes worthless after your 1950 analysis then A would have realized a $50,000 gain while B&C would have realized a collective $100,000 loss, for a net loss of $50,000, which is what you have been saying all along.

However, I don't think anyone ever makes an investment in any company with the expectation that the company will eventually stop operating, do they?

Or, maybe they do in my earlier example wherein the Venture Capitalists know that a certain % of their company investments will go to zero. But they don't assume that will happen to any specific company and assume that overall they will be a net winner.

Vinny
Well remember, for every seller there is a buyer. SOMEBODY is riding the stock all the way down. It doesn't matter whether it's B+C or people who are 100 transactions removed: overall, investors are only ahead by the dividend.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:31 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:23 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:19 pm
Xan wrote:

Vinny
Well remember, for every seller there is a buyer. SOMEBODY is riding the stock all the way down. It doesn't matter whether it's B+C or people who are 100 transactions removed: overall, investors are only ahead by the dividend.
Again, in the limited scenario you present, I think I'd agree. If a stock does go down to zero then the loss of all its value is going to be collectively shared by those who each bought and sold at a loss.

And, if there had no dividends, would there then have been less of a loss to be shared?

In your scenario where the investments eventually goes to ZERO could we not then analogize it to a Bernie Madoff situation wherein those who got the dividends were similar to those who got paid interest under the Ponzi scheme while there were still incoming funds to pay that interest? That they did get paid their interest increased the loss that others eventually incurred.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:35 pm

This thread is honestly just becoming bizarre, circular, and for the most part, pointless. :o :o
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:16 pm

I agree ,around and around we go ...but it really is such a simple concept because total return is always the entire story no matter what .

But like everything in life , once you start to imagine all kinds of scenarios to throw in to the mix it just becomes not based on math and the facts but on all kinds of personal assumptions that don’t change things but make following the money trail more difficult to see .

It reminds me of a corrupt money trail where it takes all different transformations and you lose sight of the basics .

I think everyone gets the idea and can decide for themselves which camp they are in And what it means for their own personal plan