Betting Against Beta

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Betting Against Beta

Post by Smith1776 »

As the resident factor maven here on the forum you'd think I'd have a staunch opinion on this matter, but I actually don't. Does anyone here employ the Betting Against Beta (BAB) factor in their equity allocation?

The idea behind Betting Against Beta is that the security market line specified by the CAPM is flatter and much less steep than predicted by theory. The consequence is that while high beta stocks do indeed have higher returns, their risk adjusted return is lower than low beta stocks. (Some data go further to imply that low beta stocks have higher risk-adjusted returns AND higher returns in an absolute sense, but that's likely regime dependent.)

It is sensible that the security market line might be flatter than expected because of funding and leverage constraints. Investors want higher returns but they have limited access/willingness to use leverage to get those returns. As a result, they overweight high beta stocks (whose prices get bid up), and underweight low beta stocks.

The folks at AQR consider Betting Against Beta to be a legit factor while others such as Swedroe consider it to be superseded by existing factors.

Thoughts? Does anyone here employ BAB? Why or why not? Do you think it's a legit factor?

Some papers:

https://www.aqr.com/Insights/Research/J ... ainst-Beta

http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~lpederse/pa ... stBeta.pdf

https://www.etf.com/sections/index-inve ... wg0QWBnTtt
πŸ’» DITM πŸ“š
πŸ›ž www.allterraininvesting.com πŸ›ž
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Betting Against Beta

Post by Smith1776 »

I do enjoy the sound of crickets!

^-^ ^-^ ^-^
πŸ’» DITM πŸ“š
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:19 pm I do enjoy the sound of crickets!

^-^ ^-^ ^-^
I just heard on the MLB Network that today is Canada's Thanksgiving Day? I had never heard of such a thing. Are you celebrating? And, how long has Canada had it and what was its origination?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: ↑Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:17 pm
Smith1776 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:19 pm I do enjoy the sound of crickets!

^-^ ^-^ ^-^
I just heard on the MLB Network that today is Canada's Thanksgiving Day? I had never heard of such a thing. Are you celebrating? And, how long has Canada had it and what was its origination?

Vinny
I believe it started in Canada in 1879. It's very similar in spirit to the American holiday, and for most practical intents and purposes it's basically the same thing but just a different day haha.
πŸ’» DITM πŸ“š