Dave ramsey plan using Vanguard

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Dave ramsey plan using Vanguard

Post by whatchamacallit » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:43 am

Imagine how rich you would be if you had put money equally into these four active funds the last 10 years. I don't know what return would have been but I know it is enough to make you sick.

All mainstream funds from Vanguard so not exactly way out there in hunting and pecking for outperforming funds.

Growth:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VWUAX

Growth and income:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VGIAX

Aggressive growth:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VEXRX

International:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VWILX

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/what-is-diversification
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dave ramsey plan using Vanguard

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:49 am

We can only go from 2002 since some funds were not around .

I compared from 2002 to 2021 against my favorite fund fidelity contra which has been a core for me for decades and the permanent portfolio.

The vanguard portfolio took 10k and grew it to 60,768 ..fidelity contra 82,480, and the permanent portfolio 40,849

I compared the last 10 years too for you .

Vanguard 49,096 , contra 49,162. , permanent portfolio 21,301

Which is why I always say I would Never use the pp before I accumulated and grew the bulk of what I needed to
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:18 am

I realize it is a 100% stocks story but I think it has been 10 years of following PP for me so it does sting a bit.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:18 am

And remember that difference is per 10k invested.
Only after I reached the retirement goal posts did I not use 100% equities .

The price to pay for mitigating what amounted to temporary short term dips in my accumulation stage spanning decades was way to painful on the long term returns not to be 100% equities up until what is called the red zone of retirement.

It is powerful compounding over decades that took the bits and pieces I was able to save while raising a family and turned them in to meaningful amounts maximizing my money working for me while I worked for my money.

Nicely retired today on what was really portfolio growth over the decades and not based on our salaries as much since I was a middle of the road earner and my wife pretty much a low end earner.

It eventually reaches a point you can gain or fall a years salary in a day as the portfolio eclipses your earning ability.

It reaches a point you can likely lose half of your portfolio forever and still be ahead had you gone a more conservative route ...

In fact that is exactly the case in the numbers above ....and no , diversified equity funds are not staying down 50% forever
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:47 am

I’ve owned VWILX since inception and in 2020 the fund blew away expectations, riding TSLA and BABA (among others) into the stratosphere. I harvested gains all along and restored it to 15% of AA.

The fund is now +ve less than 1% YTD as it is/was extremely tech heavy. I don’t expect it to replicate 2020 performance ever again but damn what a ride.
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:13 am

whatchamacallit wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:43 am
Imagine how rich you would be if you had put money equally into these four active funds the last 10 years. I don't know what return would have been but I know it is enough to make you sick.

All mainstream funds from Vanguard so not exactly way out there in hunting and pecking for outperforming funds.

Growth:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VWUAX

Growth and income:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VGIAX

Aggressive growth:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VEXRX

International:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VWILX

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/what-is-diversification

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion10_2=10

This is comparing the investor shares--since the Admiral shares don't go back that far--of the above four funds (annually rebalanced) with a 75/25 index fund portfolio made up of a 75% US / 25% international fund combo (also annually rebalanced.....do note that VGTSX doesn't go back that far so I had to use a combination of actively managed funds that together had similar returns to total international).

Up until the last three years or so do you see the huge difference in returns?

Yeah, me neither. Until around Jan 2018 the total values of the two competing portfolios trace each other so closely they might as well be identical.

If one had access to the "Admiral" share class things would look a bit better for the actively managed funds but it appears that management fees have eaten away a good bit of the excess returns/alpha generated by active management.
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:17 am

whatchamacallit wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:18 am
I realize it is a 100% stocks story but I think it has been 10 years of following PP for me so it does sting a bit.
Would anyone be interested in a potential PP variant (that DOESN'T use market timing or vol targeting or anything like that....it's just annually rebalanced once a year every December 31st or Jan 1st like normal) with similar returns to TSM with maybe 60 to 66% of the risk/historical maxDD (at most) and that would typically recover quicker?
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:52 am

buddtholomew wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:47 am
I’ve owned VWILX since inception and in 2020 the fund blew away expectations, riding TSLA and BABA (among others) into the stratosphere. I harvested gains all along and restored it to 15% of AA.

The fund is now +ve less than 1% YTD as it is/was extremely tech heavy. I don’t expect it to replicate 2020 performance ever again but damn what a ride.
I did notice that. A perk of an active fund that could be for better or worse. Realizing international stocks were so bad they used their 15% wild card to pick the meme stock TSLA.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:55 am

In hindsight you all are right, but you are cherry picking data specific to one country and one period of time. Japanese, Greek, and Italian equity investors would not share your sentiments over this same time frame.

Furthermore, 12 year bull markets with 500% returns generally aren't followed by another 12 year bull market with a 500% return...if we are able to avoid a crash, market returns will certainly be slower going forward over the next decade then they were in the previous.

From my perspective, guys in 100 percent US equities got lucky...kind of the same way guys in 100% gold did. Sure, over the long term equities have outperformed other asset classes in the United States, but that also occurred under the exceptional backdrop of a post world war 2 environment where the united states was able to cement a position of global dominance. Will the next 70 years continue the same trend as the previous 70? Who knows, but I doubt it.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:59 am

D1984 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:17 am
whatchamacallit wrote:
Would anyone be interested in a potential PP variant (that DOESN'T use market timing or vol targeting or anything like that....it's just annually rebalanced once a year every December 31st or Jan 1st like normal) with similar returns to TSM with maybe 60 to 66% of the risk/historical maxDD (at most) and that would typically recover quicker?
Sure. Is there another thread to just point to?
I have been trying to get to this the last couple of years. 25% in each based off of golden butterfly.

Large cap growth
Small cap value
Intermediate term fixed income
Gold

Plenty of days I just want leave what I have in place and just do tsm for any further contributions. Just to stop thinking about it.
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:25 am

whatchamacallit wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:59 am
D1984 wrote:
whatchamacallit wrote:
I have been trying to get to this the last couple of years. 25% in each based off of golden butterfly.

Large cap growth
Small cap value
Gold

Plenty of days I just want leave what I have in place and just do tsm for any further contributions. Just to stop thinking about it.
Unfortunately there's no thread (yet) because I haven't posted anything and only came up with this a few months ago.

The portfolio itself has two variants (one using LTTs and STTs like normal and one using ITT TIPS + LTTs+ STTs).

The increased returns (and admittedly, the increased draw dons vs a "normal" 25x4 PP....although still much less than S&P 500 or TSM) come from using 3X leveraged ETFs for the stock portion...and then keeping everything else pretty much the same as a regular PP.

The allocations for the two are as follows:

For the version with just LTTs and STTs and no TIPS

8.334% UPRO
8.333% MIDU
8.333% TNA
25.000% VUSUX (or TLT if you prefer)
25.000% VFISX (or SHY if you prefer)
25.000% gold

For the version with LTTs, STTs, and ITT TIPS

8.334% UPRO
8.333% MIDU
8.333% TNA
12.500% VUSUX
12.500% VFISX
25.000% VAIPX
25.000% gold

I have backtested results for both of these back to the mid-1950s (along with the data sources used); I'll post them when I can get access to the portable hard drive I stored my backed-up investing data on. I did have to use simulated data for the TIPS before 1997 and the gold before 1968 but I wanted to extend this back into a rising rate period and 1955 to 1981 was definitely that.

Again, note that only the stock ETFs are leveraged; the bonds, gold, and cash remain unleveraged and are only 1X ETFs or mutual funds.

One of the (obvious) reasons these portfolios perform better than a standard PP is because they use leveraged stock ETFs in place of the non-leveraged one in a "normal" Permanent Portfolio; with that said, it's not just the leverage per se; it's the fact that during a good year with a general and rarely interrupted strong upward trend like 2017 (or 2003, 1995, 1991, 1985, 1975, or 1967, or 1958, or 1955) these ETFs will actually hypothetically outperform a 3x annually leveraged (say with margin loans....on January 1st you borrow twice the amount you have invested and pay it back at the end of the year and take your leveraged profit or loss then...yes I know Reg T makes this impossible but if not for Reg T you could theoretically do this) version of the same ETF because of the effects of daily compounding on an increasing amount; conversely, during a bad or horrible steadily downward trending year like 2008, 2002, 1974, or 1973 these ETFs will lose much less than a 3X annually leveraged bet on the same index because they are compounding their losses on a generally smaller amount each day. In all fairness, during a kind of "drift around but end up mostly right where you started" volatile year like 2015, 2011, or 1994 these will do worse than a hypothetical 3X annually leveraged ETF but fortunately those type of years for the market aren't that common.

Finally, note that from, say, 2010 to the present either of these "turbocharged PPs" would have somewhat underfunded the TSM index fund (and/or a S&P 500 TR index fund like VFIAX); most of their power comes from not losing as much during downturns combined with doing almost as well during the sudden uptrend in the first year or two or so after the downturn rather than always keeping up with a 100% stock market portfolio during extended bull runs....and regardless, they still would've kicked the "regular" PP's tail during this period.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:17 pm

D1984 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:25 am
whatchamacallit wrote:
D1984 wrote:
whatchamacallit wrote:

Large cap growth
Small cap value
Gold

Unfortunately there's no thread (yet) because I haven't posted anything and only came up with this a few months ago.

The portfolio itself has two variants (one using LTTs and STTs like normal and one using ITT TIPS + LTTs+ STTs).

The increased returns (and admittedly, the increased draw dons vs a "normal" 25x4 PP....although still much less than S&P 500 or TSM) come from using 3X leveraged ETFs for the stock portion...and then keeping everything else pretty much the same as a regular PP.

8.334% UPRO
8.333% MIDU
8.333% TNA
25.000% gold

8.334% UPRO
8.333% MIDU
8.333% TNA
12.500% VUSUX
12.500% VFISX
25.000% VAIPX
25.000% gold

I have backtested results for both of these back to the mid-1950s (along with the data sources used); I'll post them when I can get access to the portable hard drive I stored my backed-up investing data on. I did have to use simulated data for the TIPS before 1997 and the gold before 1968 but I wanted to extend this back into a rising rate period and 1955 to 1981 was definitely that.

Again, note that only the stock ETFs are leveraged; the bonds, gold, and cash remain unleveraged and are only 1X ETFs or mutual funds.

One of the (obvious) reasons these portfolios perform better than a standard PP is because they use leveraged stock ETFs in place of the non-leveraged one in a "normal" Permanent Portfolio; with that said, it's not just the leverage per se; it's the fact that during a good year with a general and rarely interrupted strong upward trend like 2017 (or 2003, 1995, 1991, 1985, 1975, or 1967, or 1958, or 1955) these ETFs will actually hypothetically outperform a 3x annually leveraged (say with margin loans....on January 1st you borrow twice the amount you have invested and pay it back at the end of the year and take your leveraged profit or loss then...yes I know Reg T makes this impossible but if not for Reg T you could theoretically do this) version of the same ETF because of the effects of daily compounding on an increasing amount; conversely, during a bad or horrible steadily downward trending year like 2008, 2002, 1974, or 1973 these ETFs will lose much less than a 3X annually leveraged bet on the same index because they are compounding their losses on a generally smaller amount each day. In all fairness, during a kind of "drift around but end up mostly right where you started" volatile year like 2015, 2011, or 1994 these will do worse than a hypothetical 3X annually leveraged ETF but fortunately those type of years for the market aren't that common.

Finally, note that from, say, 2010 to the present either of these "turbocharged PPs" would have somewhat underfunded the TSM index fund (and/or a S&P 500 TR index fund like VFIAX); most of their power comes from not losing as much during downturns combined with doing almost as well during the sudden uptrend in the first year or two or so after the downturn rather than always keeping up with a 100% stock market portfolio during extended bull runs....and regardless, they still would've kicked the "regular" PP's tail during this period.
There are threads for this...they're in the VP section.
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:43 am

Kbg wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:17 pm
D1984 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:25 am
whatchamacallit wrote:
D1984 wrote:
whatchamacallit wrote:

Large cap growth
Small cap value
Gold

8.334% UPRO
8.333% MIDU
8.333% TNA
25.000% gold

8.334% UPRO
8.333% MIDU
8.333% TNA
12.500% VUSUX
12.500% VFISX
25.000% VAIPX
25.000% gold

There are threads for this...they're in the VP section.
I may be wrong here but isn't the thread (or threads) on this in the VP section about using a blend of 3X ETFs for ALL of the assets rather than just for the equities and also about using "sigma pumping" to capture returns of the volatility between said ETFs by rebalancing as many times per year as the rebalancing bands are hit? This portfolio has several differences from that/those.

One, it adds an exposure to small-cap and mid-cap stocks (which add an additional diversified returns stream that has the potential to do well even when large-caps are doing meh or outright bad--see 1966-1983 or 2000-2013).

Two, it rebalances once per year (or likely per one year and the first day of the new year if it has a gain) to minimize the tax hit. It doesn't try to capture gains by rebalancing every time a band is hit; it sticks with simple annual rebalancing (although to be fair this was done partly because I don't have monthly or daily return data for the simulated ETFs/indices back to the mid-1950s).

Three, IIRC the purpose of the "all 3X ETF PP" in the "20% per year" thread was maximum capital gains, full steam ahead, and damn anything else. The purpose of the portfolio I was describing in this thread is to provide similar returns as a 100% TSM or 100% S&P 500 portfolio (or at least a 95/5 TSM/TBM portfolio) with much less severe drawdowns and a likely higher SWR vs said stock-heavy portfolio should you happen to start retirement at the beginning of a bad period for equities (see 1965, 1966, 1969, 1973, 2000, etc) while at the same time at least partially correcting for two of the PP's main weaknesses, to wit:

A. It's (the "classic" 25x4 PP's) tendency to provide OK and fairly smooth returns over long periods while at the same time doing poorly (relative to equities) during years when stocks are kicking ass (see 1955-1965, 1967-68, 1975-76, 1979-80, 1983-84, 1988-89, 1991-99....especially the period from 1995 to 1999, 2009-10, 2012-14, most of the last seven or eight months of 2020, 2021 so far, etc) which leads to people potentially abandoning the PP--and going into a 100% stocks or near 100% stocks portfolio at often the moment when stocks are about to do badly and a well-diversified portfolio like the PP is about to shine (or at least shine relative to stocks).

B. The fact that the PP's total return seems more dependent on gold and bond returns (i.e. is affected more by losses/gains in those assets than by losses/gains in stocks) than by equity returns and that (as mathjak is fond of pointing out) in a true long term rising rate environment (such as the one that prevailed from, say, 1955 to 1969) the PP has never been really tested but would likely do relatively poorly in such an environment if gold also wasn't doing well (i.e. exactly what might happen if we get a long-term trend of rising rates with low single digit inflation --IIRC I believe Harry Brown considered anything below 5% to be low and normal----and where real interest rates are not negative most of the time).
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:53 am

Traditionally stock markets are up 2/3’s of the time and down only 1/3 ..so it really takes the down turns to propel the pp like now .

The only hope we may have of seeing Gld and tlt go back is when the Proverbial stumble or black swan happens ...

So 2/3s of the time now gold and Ltb are working against stocks and grabbing them by the collar and holding them down
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:05 am

whatchamacallit wrote:
D1984 wrote:
whatchamacallit wrote:

Large cap growth
Small cap value
Gold

Hi whatchamacallit,

Here's a link to the spreadsheets containing the backtested returns for this portfolio (with and without using ITT TIPS):

https://gofile.io/d/4UYZ0p

Version of this portfolio that I have "nerfed" (deliberately weakened) the gold returns for 1970-1974 from; this is in case anyone says that gold returns for these years were artificially high because gold was coming off of a long period of essentially being price controlled at $35 an ounce and never being allowed to rise above that (this is actually kind of a reasonable point BTW).

https://gofile.io/d/PeNcCx

Version of this portfolio using actual gold returns for the years 1970-74

Note that these two spreadsheets also contain simulated (well, more like a VERY crude wild-ass guess) gold returns for 1955-67; these are of course in no way close to what gold would've done then (no one could know what it would've done since it was price controlled) but I followed the general maxim that gold does poorly in times of economic stability, prosperity with decent non-stagflationary economic growth and good returns on "traditional" assets like equities, tame inflation, and positive real rates....these were the conditions that generally prevailed from 1955 to 1967. I basically just picked a number that in real terms was slightly worse than gold did on average from 1982-2000 and then just used that for the 1955-63 returns. Feel free to add your own returns for gold for these years (who knows....maybe I am being too generally pessimistic about gold in the mid-50s to early 60s). 1968 and 1969 gold returns were actual returns for those years in the London free market in gold.

I have also included a simulated return series for VWINX (Wellesley) for 1955 to 1970.

More tomorrow including SWR calcs, some ideas on gold from the late 50s to mid 60s, on the simulated TIPS return series (since TIPS didn't exist before 1997), on how I created the simulated VWINX for the years before its inception, and on how the leveraged ETF returns were derived. Right now I have to get to bed very soon as I have been awake for almost 22 hours.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:18 am

On the leveraged threads in the VP section...the intent of most of them was to get the most return using the PP framework. For me running a bunch of numbers caused me to move away from a classic PP leveraged. Most of my posts were really more about leverage and it's characteristics, good and bad vs. the PP per se.
PrimalToker

Post by PrimalToker » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:51 pm

A risk parity between stocks shows roughly 25% large cap, mid, small, international was the proper allocation. Interesting.