Moderator: Global Moderator

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Active management - recent winners

Post by Xan » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:31 am

Not sure whether this is paywalled:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/top-stock- ... rs-14d3123

It's the WSJ's roundup of actively managed funds that have done well recently. Most of the time I just ignore this kind of thing: some funds get lucky and will revert to the mean later on.

This one I thought was more interesting than usual. The winners were funds that focus primarily on smaller companies with great fundamentals. "In a 12-month period when there’s a roaring bull market, we won’t be among the top performers, but when times are tougher, these companies keep going."

It reminds me of that interview we've linked here several times with the guy whose name escapes me who invests in small businesses that do unique things.

Seems like this is a place where active management makes more sense: surely there are a lot of these companies that all need to be constantly evaluated.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Active management - recent winners

Post by Hal » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:08 am

Xan wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:31 am

It reminds me of that interview we've linked here several times with the guy whose name escapes me who invests in small businesses that do unique things.
Is this the interview you were thinking of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4_U6bS-cU4
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:27 am

Hal wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:08 am
Xan wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:31 am

Is this the interview you were thinking of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4_U6bS-cU4

That's it! Anthony Deden.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:06 pm

Yes, there's a paywall. Would you mind telling us what particular funds were being featured? I'd be curious to look at their holdings.
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:24 pm

Maddy wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:06 pm
Yes, there's a paywall. Would you mind telling us what particular funds were being featured? I'd be curious to look at their holdings.
I don't have access to the article directly but by searching using some (non-Google) search engines I was able to find a copy of the article that was non-paywalled. The funds are:

1. Private Capital Management Value (VFPIX)

2. Virtus KAR Small-Cap Core (PKSFX)

3. Hennessy Cornerstone Mid Cap 30 (HFMDX)

4. Oberweis Micro Cap (OBMCX)

5. Oberweis Small-Cap Opportunities (OBSOX)

6. FMI Common Stock (FMIMX)

7. Dean Small Cap Value (DASCX)

8. Fuller & Thaler Behavioral Small-Cap Equity (FTHFX)

9. Palm Value Capital (PVCMX)

10. Franklin MicroCap Value (FRMCX)

Also...Aegis Value (AVALX) wasn't mentioned--its returns for this period were just a hair under FRMCX's so it just barely didn't make the cut--but it shares characteristics with several of the other valuey small cap funds mentioned above; it previously got a big write-up in a January 2023 WSJ article for its performance from 1-1-2022 to 12-31-2022 (and in 2021 and 2022 in general).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:37 pm

Maddy wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:06 pm

Oftentimes if you take the title of a paywalled article and put it in a search engine (I use Bing) then you are able to get at the article, which I just was able to do with this article.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:26 pm

Forget about any investment scheme but this one!

Follow this and you will be SURE to be a winner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQBubLv49fk

Just squeeze out 4 minutes and 48 seconds out of your busy schedule to watch and you will NOT regret it!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."