How to Fix the Flawed Tilt with the PP's Equity Component

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How to Fix the Flawed Tilt with the PP's Equity Component

Post by Kbg » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:02 pm

I must not be understanding your first post as it sure seems to me a 50/50 split is good enough for government work
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:31 am

Kbg wrote: I must not be understanding your first post as it sure seems to me a 50/50 split is good enough for government work
"Government work"???
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
sixdollars

Post by sixdollars » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:41 pm

MG,

Great work, the only qualm I have with implementing something like this is that adding 2 to 3 more funds feels like a big hit to re-balancing simplicity.  If you find any way to implement this with less (i.e. two funds), please let me know :)

I'm mostly invested in VTSAX for my stock portion of the portfolio at the current time.
"There’s nothing wrong with Harry’s portfolio—nothing at all—but there’s everything wrong with his followers, who seem, on average, to chase performance the way dogs chase cars."

-William J. Bernstein
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:49 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
Kbg wrote: I must not be understanding your first post as it sure seems to me a 50/50 split is good enough for government work
"Government work"???
Close enough.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:53 pm

That's why Motif is ideally suited.  You can rebalance up to 30 stocks/ETF's for $9.95 and do it by setting exact weight percentages.  And since you would need to rebalance annually to match a marketcap weighted fund's rebalancing frequency, that is really nothing.  However, Schwab does look superior at this point in terms of overall fees.  I'm not too familiar with their order management system -- anyone know if they have a portfolio rebalancing by weight feature?
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Kbg wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:
"Government work"???
Close enough.
Explain what the hell you mean?

Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:56 pm

sixdollars wrote: MG,

Great work, the only qualm I have with implementing something like this is that adding 2 to 3 more funds feels like a big hit to re-balancing simplicity.  If you find any way to implement this with less (i.e. two funds), please let me know :)

I'm mostly invested in VTSAX for my stock portion of the portfolio at the current time.
I don't have the fancy tools, but per free MorningStar Portfolio X-Ray:

VTSAX: 40% (VG Total Stock Market)
VEXAX: 60% (VG Extended Market)

Gives:
Large: 33%
Mid:    36%
Small: 31%

Or:
38/34/27 if replace Total Stock with VLCAX (VG Large Cap Index)
34/32/34 with 40% VLCAX Large Cap Index; 60% VSMAX Small Cap Index

Far from exact, but closer in two funds and more balanced cap-wise than total by itself... (73/18/9 per MorningStar)
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:49 pm

I thought that was interesting.  I've taken out Mega/Large in a backtest from 1972 to 2014 to see their contributions towards returns:

[align=center][img width=800]http://i.imgur.com/qmPoTXz.png[/img][/align]

The EW PP weights were:

Mega    0%
Large    0.29%
Mid    17.20%
Small    20.00%
Micro    20.00%

Difference from 100% in T-Bills.  So basically all market caps other than Mega/Large contribute 94% vs long-term market cap weighted returns.  Mega/Large contributes only 6%.  Too bad I can't eliminate Mega only.  That might have been a bigger eye opener.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:59 am

MachineGhost wrote:
Kbg wrote:
MachineGhost wrote: "Government work"???
Close enough.
Good enough for government work definition:

sufficiently close; done just well enough. (Alludes to the notion that work for the government is not done with care or pride.)
"I didn't do the best job of mending your shirt, but it's close enough for government work."
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:28 pm

1NV35T0R (Greg) wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:
Kbg wrote: Let's go with sufficiently close...vice the rest.

Close enough.
Good enough for government work definition:

sufficiently close; done just well enough. (Alludes to the notion that work for the government is not done with care or pride.)
"I didn't do the best job of mending your shirt, but it's close enough for government work."
fi50@fi2023
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by fi50@fi2023 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:41 pm

I use the Paul Merriman "Ultimate Buy and Hold Portfolio" for my equity component.  It is equal weighted between US/International and diversified between, large, large value, small, and small value.  I use the "aggressive" split, which does not include any bond/cash allocation, since I address those needs elsewhere.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:15 pm

At Schwab, no portfolio rebalancing by weight feature. But if you write a paragraph or two describing the features you'd like to see, I will forward it to their customer service for consideration. I think it would be a great thing. I have found bugs in their software, and they are quite godd at fixing them quickly based on user feedback,so I know they listen.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:54 am

I was on Schwab today, and submitted this email to their team for MachineGhost and the rest of us:

Product suggestion, intelligent.schwab.com

Product concept: Schwab intelligent no-cost robot-advised portfolio rebalancing and tax-loss harvesting for the self-directed investor"

An interesting way make a new service offering by "dumbing down" intelligent.schwab.com would be to allow the customer to design his or her own portfolios with fixed percentages of their own selected ETFs... then, if the portfolio drifts off the allocation, it would adjust in as tax-efficient a manner as possible.

The rebalancing should be able to be specified as follows:

- at customer supplied fixed time intervals (specified in months)
- when any rebalancing bands are crossed, also customer sepcified; for example, if the initial allocation for SCHZ is 25%, the customer could order the entire portfolio to rebalance is SCHZ drops above or below some percentage, like plus-minus 2, 5, 10, 15 %. The initial allocations and rebalance bandwidths would be custom for each ETF, of course

Thanks for you responsive service on Schwab software bugs in the past. I have report a big one in the past, and you fixed it quickly. I hope you will take a look at this suggestion.
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:51 pm

If one only had access to an SP500 fund and a small cap index fund, what's the best you could do? 50/50 in each?
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:07 pm

i kind of like the equity break down in that global x permanent portfolio fund . nice mix in that section .
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:49 pm

Jack Jones wrote: If one only had access to an SP500 fund and a small cap index fund, what's the best you could do? 50/50 in each?
For the two funds I'm interested in (VSCPX and FXAIX) a 50/50 split would result in:

Market Capitalization
Size    % of Portfolio
Mega    25.8%
Large    18.2%
Mid    25.3%
Small    25.3%
Micro    5.4%

Not bad.