New Details on 20-Year Bond Issuance (WSJ)

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

New Details on 20-Year Bond Issuance (WSJ)

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:28 pm

A new 20-year US TREASURY BOND was mentioned recently. I looked for a thread on it, so apologies if one has already been created.
Of course, Harry's traditional pp calls for the replacement of 20-year bonds for 30-year ones. However, there was no 30-year bond being issued during the airing of his Money Talk show (now archived), and he was very interested in looking into TLT when a caller brought it up.
For one reason or another, some of you may be interested in holding these.
why?
I don't know.

The department plans to issue the new bonds each quarter and will hold auctions in the third week of the month

The Treasury Department on Wednesday provided new details about its plans to begin regular auctions of 20-year bonds in the first half of 2020, but stopped short of saying when the first bond will be issued or the potential size.

The Treasury said it plans to issue new 20-year bonds each quarter—in February, May, August and November—and will hold auctions in the third week of the month, the same week as Treasury inflation-protected securities, or TIPS. Auctions will settle at the end of the month or the first business day thereafter, the Treasury said, “in order to spread the auction supply of duration more evenly across the month.”
More details coming in May.

source: (paywalled) https://www.wsj.com/articles/treasury-r ... 1580909629
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: New Details on 20-Year Bond Issuance (WSJ)

Post by Kbg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:06 pm

Will 30s continue?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: New Details on 20-Year Bond Issuance (WSJ)

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:17 pm

I sure hope so. Since they considered 50- and 100-year bonds, I think the 30 is safe.
We’ll see.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years