Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

If You're Going To Sin, Sin A Little

Post by Smith1776 »

I'm going to sin, but just a little.

This is, of course, a famous phrase frequently uttered by Cliff Asness. For him it's usually in reference to increasing one's tilt towards value when the value-growth spread reaches extremes, like we have today. A similar action was taken by even John Bogle himself during the height of the dotcom bubble. With stock valuations at incredible extremes and bonds yielding attractive valuations, a tilt from equity to fixed income was a prudent move.

I am buying the argument of sinning a little. Asness isn't saying that one should go 100% into value. Bogle didn't abandon stocks. They just tilted during market extremes. I do believe we are in a bond environment that is warranting a such a shift.

As such I have shortened the duration of the bond portion of my PP. I am not abandoning bonds. They are still 25% of my portfolio, but my weighted average duration is now dropping from 17.62 years to 7.28 years.

I have replaced the Long Federal Bond Index ETF (ZFL)...

zfl.png
zfl.png (65.72 KiB) Viewed 1148 times

...in favour of the Mid Federal Bond Index ETF (ZFM).

zfm.png
zfm.png (69.07 KiB) Viewed 1148 times

Again, if you're going to sin, sin a little. And only at extremes. This new allocation to intermediate terms bonds will allow me to maintain the basic principles and allocation consistent with the PP, while also exercising my own prudence.
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: If You're Going To Sin, Sin A Little

Post by Smith1776 »

MangoMan wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:04 pm I think this is a good plan. I have been doing something similar over the last year or so.
Thanks, MangoMan. I don't want to abandon the PP principles, but I also don't want to follow dogma to my death. I think this strikes a good compromise.

I'd be interested in knowing if Craig and/or Tex have done something similar.
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com