TLT and SHY income classification

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

D

TLT and SHY income classification

Post by D »

How is TLT and SHY income classified on your tax documents: as "dividends" or as "interest"? My broker informed me that they'd withhold 30% tax for me as a non-resident alien if it's paid out as dividends and no withholding if it's paid out as interest.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: TLT and SHY income classification

Post by dualstow »

:o No one has answered this? I bought TLT yesterday, but I've only held treasuries directly up 'til now. I'll be waiting for DIVs or INTs next year.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

I don't own either of them, but I'm 99% certain you'll get a 1099 int next year, not div.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
chrikenn

Post by chrikenn »

Agree.  I didn't own TLT in 2010 but I do now.  For every other bond fund I've owned though, I've gotten a 1099-INT.

Actually, check that.  For an international bond fund (RPIBX) I am slowly phasing myself out of, I got a 1099-DIV, even though it paid monthly distributions.

I still think TLT will probably be a 1099-INT, but maybe someone that has actually received tax docs from the ETF can tell us for sure.
Boeing737

Post by Boeing737 »

Both TLT and SHY on my 1099-div show as nonqualified dividends.
chrikenn

Post by chrikenn »

Boeing737 wrote: Both TLT and SHY on my 1099-div show as nonqualified dividends.
I think he's asking whether the form is a 1099-DIV or a 1099-INT, not whether the interest is qualified.  So you are saying that they do indeed send out a 1099-DIV as opposed to a 1099-INT?
Boeing737

Post by Boeing737 »

It's on a 1099-DIV.
fnord123
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by fnord123 »

I just noticed this topic.  My understanding is non-qualified dividends on a 1099DIV (which apparently TLT provides) is basically the same as receiving interest in terms of tax treatment.  So D, dualstow, if you are asking from a tax consideration point of view, TLT gives no advantage over holding treasuries.  Actually, it might give less - if someone has 1099DIV for TLT, can they still avoid paying state and local taxes like they can for a 1099INT from treasuries?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

fnord123 wrote: I just noticed this topic.  My understanding is non-qualified dividends on a 1099DIV (which apparently TLT provides) is basically the same as receiving interest in terms of tax treatment.  So D, dualstow, if you are asking from a tax consideration point of view, TLT gives no advantage over holding treasuries.  Actually, it might give less - if someone has 1099DIV for TLT, can they still avoid paying state and local taxes like they can for a 1099INT from treasuries?
Ah, good question. I assumed because it holds treasuries that TLT is free of state and local. But, it's best to avoid wishful thinking when it comes to taxes. In fact, I should abandon all optimism whatsoever. ;-)

While I was also curious about the OP's question, I won't have to concern myself with TLT tax for a few decades, as it's actually in my 401(k).
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Dividends are treated as the interest would be...

Nontaxable for state purposes.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine