Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Sucks to Be An I-Bond Hater

Post by jalanlong » Mon May 02, 2022 9:48 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:17 pm
Kbg wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:19 am
Oh man the treasury direct website sucks so bad.

😂 The forum has finally convinced me otherwise, but i love to see this comment.
I have not bought anything on Treasury Direct in quite a while. So I need to change my main bank account that is hooked up to TD. But they will not allow any changes to that online. To add, edit or delete any connected bank accounts you have to complete a form, get a Medallion Signature Guarantee from a bank and then mail in the form. I just cannot deal with that in 2022.
Dmilligan

Post by Dmilligan » Mon May 02, 2022 3:08 pm

joypog wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:54 am
Are you sure you can do auto roll for secondary market T-bills?
My understanding is that auto roll cannot be set up for secondary market T-bills. I believe auto roll can only be set up for new issue treasury purchases. But, this is based on a phone support call with Fidelity a couple of years back. So, maybe something has changed within the past couple of years.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon May 02, 2022 3:52 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:48 am
dualstow wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:17 pm
Kbg wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:19 am
Oh man the treasury direct website sucks so bad.

😂 The forum has finally convinced me otherwise, but i love to see this comment.
I have not bought anything on Treasury Direct in quite a while. So I need to change my main bank account that is hooked up to TD. But they will not allow any changes to that online. To add, edit or delete any connected bank accounts you have to complete a form, get a Medallion Signature Guarantee from a bank and then mail in the form. I just cannot deal with that in 2022.
I wonder if there’s some way too keep one’s bank account “alive” without buying or selling. Or, is it just always going to be that way when changing bank accounts? Damn, I can never leave my bank even though the service is just ok. It would lead to half a dozen hassles. Now add TreasDir.
RIP Marcello Gandini
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:53 am

This is a bit of a PSA...

Just posting to say that I successfully "delivered" I-Bond gifts for both me and my wife yesterday morning. The process took about ten minutes. I waited a couple of days after the new year to do this in case the TD site was overwhelmed by Bogleheads doing the same. Good to get the deliveries checked off of my to-do list for 2023 before I totally forget about it.

I'm still not sure about holding our electronic I-Bonds long term but I don't have to make that decision just yet. I want to see whet the new composite rate resets to on May 1st and will then wait at least until three months after the good interest rate drops off (these are all bonds bought in 2021 & 2022, so all have the three-month early withdrawal penalty and all have a 0% fixed rate).

But the big reasons for maybe selling are simplification for my uninterested wife (well, just uninterested on the personal finance front!), and possibly using the funds in the next few years to help pay bills while I do a few Roth conversions before starting SS in 2028.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:56 pm

Thanks!

I’ve been thinking about soon buying half of what I plan to purchase for the year (still have to figure out how much I plan to put in)

Having that 0.4% “real” is nice — makes any new purchases better than all my existing purchases