Rebalancing strategy for bonds

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Rebalancing strategy for bonds

Post by Gumby »

Half of my Bond allocation is in my Traditional IRA (in the form of TLT where dividends are automatically reinvested tax free). I have about 30 years to retirement age

The other half of my Bond allocation is in 2040 Treasury Bonds (~4.23%) in my regular brokerage account. Proceeds from these bonds are obviously taxed.

All of these bonds were purchased in April and May.

Hypothetically...if LT Bonds go up enough to trigger a rebalance in the next few months, which bonds should I sell?

Since my bonds in the brokerage account could easily be a short-term capital gain, my instinct is to sell the bonds in the IRA first and not have to suffer tax consequences. However, Harry Browne suggested maximizing the compounding power of the income-producing bonds by just leaving them in your IRA. That would mean selling the bonds in the brokerage account and taking a short term tax hit.

So, now I'm confused. Anyone have any thoughts on strategy? I'm leaning towards one of two strategies where either I would sell the bonds from my brokerage account and take the tax hit.... or where I would sell evenly from both accounts to split the difference, but I'm still unsure what the best approach is.

The funny part is that when I bought these bonds, I had no faith in them — clear proof of how uncertain things are. Now, I have the dilemma of how to maximize profits from them. :)
Last edited by Gumby on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing I say should be construed as advice or expertise. I am only sharing opinions which may or may not be applicable in any given case.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Rebalancing strategy for bonds

Post by MediumTex »

Sell shares of the ETF in your IRA.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
MiniB

Re: Rebalancing strategy for bonds

Post by MiniB »

Sell shares of the ETF in your IRA and put stocks or whatever else is low in that IRA position.

Then once you can capture a long term capital gain on the taxable bonds, sell those, buy stocks, and within the IRA, sell the stocks and buy the bonds.