Do All brokerages Mark Bonds to Market?

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MiniB

Do All brokerages Mark Bonds to Market?

Post by MiniB » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:58 pm

When I start my PP I will be holding individual treasuries.  Probably at Schwab but maybe at Vanguard.  Do all brokerages mark my holdings to market each day?  That would be really nice to be able to calculate how much what I have it worth on a daily basis for purposes of rebalancing.  I wont be checking daily, but when I do check, I dont want to have to do calculations.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Do All brokerages Mark Bonds to Market?

Post by MediumTex » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:08 am

I assume all brokerages do.  Vanguard does.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
MCSquared

Post by MCSquared » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:38 am

MiniB wrote: When I start my PP I will be holding individual treasuries.  Probably at Schwab but maybe at Vanguard.  Do all brokerages mark my holdings to market each day?  That would be really nice to be able to calculate how much what I have it worth on a daily basis for purposes of rebalancing.  I wont be checking daily, but when I do check, I dont want to have to do calculations.
Fidelity updates treasury holdings.  I use a google doc that does the same thing though.
MiniB

Post by MiniB » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:23 pm

MCSquared wrote: Fidelity updates treasury holdings.  I use a google doc that does the same thing though.
How do you do it in google doc?

I assume you need to input a formula that takes into account the maturity and yield compared to the day's date and current market yield.  I think you can pull that data into Excel so you don't have to manually type it in everyday.
MCSquared

Post by MCSquared » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:24 am

MiniB wrote:
MCSquared wrote: Fidelity updates treasury holdings.  I use a google doc that does the same thing though.
How do you do it in google doc?

I assume you need to input a formula that takes into account the maturity and yield compared to the day's date and current market yield.  I think you can pull that data into Excel so you don't have to manually type it in everyday.
I use a formula but I do not pull the data into the spreadsheet daily.  I load the current yield maybe once a week for price calculation.  Here is a sample doc.  You can obviously ignore the calcs for bonds with call options etc.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=COTeg6UK
doug6zj9
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by doug6zj9 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:27 pm

MiniB wrote:     Do all brokerages mark my holdings to market each day? 
Schwab does at end of day.  (It IS fun to watch etfs though which update instantly and constantly)
"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"