Treasurydirect.gov and terms of service - risky?

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

BP

Treasurydirect.gov and terms of service - risky?

Post by BP »

I read the treasurydirect.gov terms of service and noticed the following:

5. YOUR ACCOUNT

If you use this site, you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account, password and for restricting access to your computer. You also agree to assume responsibility for all activities that occur under any account or password that you maintain for electronic commerce with Treasury or BPD. TreasuryDirect.gov, publicdebt.treas.gov and all other websites operated by BPD do not sell products to minors. If you are under 18, you may use TreasuryDirect.gov only with involvement of a parent or guardian. TreasuryDirect.gov, publicdebt.treas.gov, and all other websites operated by BPD reserve the right to refuse service, terminate accounts, remove or edit content, or cancel purchases in their sole discretion.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/terms.htm

One wonders what this means in practical terms.  Who is responsible if your account is hacked?  What recourse would you have if your account was liquidated by a third party without your permission?
I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, or physician.  My posts are not advice of any type and should not be construed as such.  My posts are used at the sole risk of the reader.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Treasurydirect.gov and terms of service - risky?

Post by Pointedstick »

This is one reason I don't have a TD account. I figure I'd be trading the counterparty risk of a broker for the risk that because it's a website run by the government, it will be inflexible and unhelpful in the event anything goes wrong. I could be waiting months to get my money anyway. I doubt there are really a large number of TD users, which equates to small number of voters, which equates to congress not caring about you if you get screwed.

IMHO.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

Like with any asset, it's a good idea to hold cash a few different ways.  So TD is fine for some, but maybe use a treasury only money market and/or an etf for the rest.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones »

If your password were hacked, the hacking person could move in and out of your zero interest account at TD and transfer money in and out of YOUR bank account. It is a PITA to set up a bank account with TD, so it would be unlikely someone would/could transfer to another account. Anyone disagree?
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rickb »

BearBones wrote: If your password were hacked, the hacking person could move in and out of your zero interest account at TD and transfer money in and out of YOUR bank account. It is a PITA to set up a bank account with TD, so it would be unlikely someone would/could transfer to another account. Anyone disagree?
Agree.

And, unlike most websites, if you log into TD on a computer that has been hacked and has a keystroke monitor installed, when you log in your password is not compromised since you enter it with mouse clicks on a virtual keyboard.  The possibility of keystroke monitoring is actually a damn good reason to never log into any financial website from any sort of public kiosk computer.
melveyr
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by melveyr »

TD's security seems better than any other financial institution I have had experience with. If anything the hoops they make you jump through are a little bit annoying, making it almost too secure  :P
everything comes from somewhere and everything goes somewhere
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I hate TreasuryDirect and haven't bothered to unlock my account after a password problem in 2005.
I also have not bought I-Bonds since about 2005. (I buy treasuries at Vanguard and Fidelity).

For those of you who don't use TreasuryDirect but do buy I-Bonds, where do you get them? From a bank?
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
smurff
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by smurff »

The only place to get IBonds outside of TD is from the IRS.  As of January 2012, if the IRS owes you a refund, you can elect to have all or part of it paid to you via paper IBonds, but the maximum is $5000 per year.  I am not certain whether that is per tax return, or per person, i.e., whether the married couple on a joint return can get a total of $10,000 or if any can be put in the names of their children.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Ah, thanks.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

rickb wrote: And, unlike most websites, if you log into TD on a computer that has been hacked and has a keystroke monitor installed, when you log in your password is not compromised since you enter it with mouse clicks on a virtual keyboard.  The possibility of keystroke monitoring is actually a damn good reason to never log into any financial website from any sort of public kiosk computer.
Only if Javascript is enabled.  They also used to require a passcard for 2-factor authentication.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!