Sell Direct transaction cost

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Selfreliance

Sell Direct transaction cost

Post by Selfreliance »

I'm curious if any of you have experience using the Sell Direct feature for rebalancing LT Bonds.  Specifically whats the cost?  I found the following information on the Treasury Direct website:
Do you want to sell a Treasury security prior to its maturity? TreasuryDirect can help you do it, quickly and easily. You may sell 13-Week, 26-Week, and 52-Week Bills, as well as Notes, Bonds, and TIPS simply by selecting a single security or multiple securities in SellDirect. Choose to sell a portion or the full amount of a security for a single transaction. Multiple sales are available by selecting up to 50 securities in one transaction with the proceeds deposited to one payment destination. The full amount of each security must be sold when you sell multiple securities. All sales must be in increments of $100. Just provide your payment destination and TreasuryDirect does the rest!
And..
TreasuryDirect submits all your sale requests to the Federal Reserve Bank (FRB) of Chicago (a fiscal agent of the U.S. Treasury). By submitting a SellDirect request, you authorize FRB Chicago to sell the security, and to charge you a transaction fee of $45.00 for each security. This fee is automatically deducted from the proceeds of the sale before deposit to your designated payment destination.
So, I if I were to sell 10K of LT bonds the cost would be $450.00?  This seems excessive.  Am I understanding this correctly?

TIA,

Selfreliance
MCSquared

Re: Sell Direct transaction cost

Post by MCSquared »

Selfreliance wrote:
I'm curious if any of you have experience using the Sell Direct feature for rebalancing LT Bonds.  Specifically whats the cost?  I found the following information on the Treasury Direct website:
Do you want to sell a Treasury security prior to its maturity? TreasuryDirect can help you do it, quickly and easily. You may sell 13-Week, 26-Week, and 52-Week Bills, as well as Notes, Bonds, and TIPS simply by selecting a single security or multiple securities in SellDirect. Choose to sell a portion or the full amount of a security for a single transaction. Multiple sales are available by selecting up to 50 securities in one transaction with the proceeds deposited to one payment destination. The full amount of each security must be sold when you sell multiple securities. All sales must be in increments of $100. Just provide your payment destination and TreasuryDirect does the rest!
And..
TreasuryDirect submits all your sale requests to the Federal Reserve Bank (FRB) of Chicago (a fiscal agent of the U.S. Treasury). By submitting a SellDirect request, you authorize FRB Chicago to sell the security, and to charge you a transaction fee of $45.00 for each security. This fee is automatically deducted from the proceeds of the sale before deposit to your designated payment destination.
So, I if I were to sell 10K of LT bonds the cost would be $450.00?   This seems excessive.  Am I understanding this correctly?

TIA,

Selfreliance
I have sold UST through Treasury Direct.  They are sold through the FRB of Chicago at market.  The fee is a flat $45 for the transaction.  FYI, I now keep my UST holdings at Fidelity as they do not charge a fee (obviously there is a spread if you sell prior to maturity) and you can buy at auction with no fee or spread. 
TBV
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Sell Direct transaction cost

Post by TBV »

Looks like the Sell Direct service is no longer available.  Here's the text from the Treasury Direct website...

Selling Treasury Bills, Notes, Bonds, or TIPS

You can hold Treasury bills, notes, bonds, or TIPS until they mature, or sell them before they mature.

To sell a Treasury bill, note, bond, or TIPS held in TreasuryDirect or Legacy Treasury Direct, first transfer the security to a bank, broker, or dealer, then ask the bank, broker, or dealer to sell it for you.

How you transfer a security to a bank, broker, or dealer depends on whether you hold the security in TreasuryDirect or Legacy Treasury Direct.

For a security held in TreasuryDirect:
Go to "Manage Direct"
Choose "Transfer securities"
Identify the security or securities you want to transfer
Choose "External Transfer"
Click the link for the form PD F 5511, "TreasuryDirect Transfer Request"
Complete PD F 5511 and mail it to us as directed on the form
For a security held in Legacy Treasury Direct, complete "Security Transfer Request" (PD F 5179) and mail it to us as directed on the form
NOTE: We no longer offer SellDirect, a service where we sold securities on behalf of TreasuryDirect and Legacy Treasury Direct customers.