Treasury Bond Basic Quetions - TreasuryDirect

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Treasury Bond Basic Quetions - TreasuryDirect

Post by sophie »

You didn't read my posts, but I don't remember which thread it was in.

I discovered that selling bonds at Fidelity is absurdly painful. You can buy any number of Treasury bonds you want (e.g. 1) but you can only sell them in quantities of 10. So good luck if you bought 15 of them and want to sell them in two separate transactions, for example. You can also only put in sell orders during an extremely limited number of hours during the day that despite what they say, is NOT the same as when the bond market is open. As best as I can tell, it's 11am to 2 pm - and even then I've been told the market is closed inside that window. And, the limit parameters that the sell menu will accept are sometimes impossible to satisfy (e.g. it has to be greater than X but less than Y, where Y is less than X). And, it's only good for that day, so you have to do it all over again the next day if the bond doesn't sell. I suppose you can get help over the phone, but that's at least an hour or two of your time under normal conditions...would take a lot longer now.

Which is why I am now using FNGBX. Perhaps tolerating the above level of pain once every 10 years is not anything to complain about, but I think I prefer my investments to be truly liquid.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Treasury Bond Basic Quetions - TreasuryDirect

Post by jhogue »

What is FNGBX? (Franklin Next Step Growth??)
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"