Large LTT purchase

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Large LTT purchase

Post by ppnewbie » Thu May 23, 2019 1:55 pm

Trying to figure out how this works. The numbers magnitude I am talking about is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars - TLT will end up costing quite a bit per year nearly $1000 so want to just buy the bonds.

Do I just buy a bunch of the longest 30 year bonds I can buy and not worry about a laddering or rolling. If I do this, they will all hit their 20 year mark at a pretty much the same time. So I'll have a massive sale (Tax Deferred) and then redo it all? I have a tax deferred account and a taxable account.

How would this work in each of those accounts.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Large LTT purchase

Post by pmward » Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 pm

Personally what I would do is buy all of them at the next auction (next one is June 6). Then you can roll them a little each year. So if you want to target a 5 year rollover you sell and rollover 1/5 for the next 5 years, then after then they just roll automatically. If you do a 10 year rollover, you sell and rollover 1/10 every year for the next 10 years.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu May 23, 2019 2:46 pm

Good problem to have.

We know not much about your account other than taxable and tax deferred. Standard practice would be to put all of these in the tax differed and put other assets (stocks/gold particularly) in the taxable.

Assuming you can buy open market bonds (e.g. those already issued) via a brokerage account(s) I'd definitely ladder. You want to be able to reinvest if interest rates ratchet up. (But that's an implicit forecast for sure)
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Large LTT / STT purchase

Post by ppnewbie » Thu May 23, 2019 2:47 pm

Expanding the question to STT

Should I buy 1mo,3mo,6mo,1yr in equal proportions with autoroll enabled (see note). OR
Just put it all in 1 yr tbills with autoroll enabled.
Or maybe buy 1/12 for a year and have a permanent 1 year tbill.

Note: autoroll feature only rolls into the same duration tbill.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Large LTT / STT purchase

Post by pmward » Thu May 23, 2019 2:53 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:47 pm
Expanding the question to STT

Should I buy 1mo,3mo,6mo,1yr in equal proportions with autoroll enabled (see note). OR
Just put it all in 1 yr tbills with autoroll enabled.

Note: autoroll feature only rolls into the same duration tbill.
It doesn't really matter to be honest. I originally started down the path of having some in 1 mo, 3 mo, etc but quickly realized I was overcomplicating things and canned it for just all 1 year bills. I'm trying to spread it out a bit throughout the year so I have at least 3-4k maturing each month, just so I have short dated liquidity for emergencies. Aside from that 3-4k per month for emergencies, the rest of it I use some discretion to place wherever I want to put it at the time. In the meantime while I'm building this 1 year bill ladder out, the cash I need to ladder in future months for the rest of the year is all either sitting in the Fidelity treasury money market fund or SHV.

When it comes to cash just whatever works for you and your liquidity needs will be fine. When in doubt, keep it simple. It's funny how we here make cash, what should be the simplest asset, into the most complicated asset just to try and chase a measly extra 10-20 basis points out of 1/4 of our portfolio, haha.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu May 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Kbg wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:46 pm
Assuming you can buy open market bonds (e.g. those already issued) via a brokerage account(s) I'd definitely ladder. You want to be able to reinvest if interest rates ratchet up. (But that's an implicit forecast for sure)
Mathematically, is there really any difference between buying a ladder, or just buying all at auction up front? All changes in past yields should be prorated into the existing bonds.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Excellent Thread:
FNBGX vs. individual bonds at Fidelity
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9866&hilit=FNBGX

I can probably start with all FNBGX (.03% ER) and figure it out (.03% ER).
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu May 23, 2019 3:57 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 pm
Excellent Thread:

Yep, that would be a good low cost fund. You can even do the same thing I'm doing with cash, use that fund as a way to dollar cost average into direct LTT's. If you're doing the standard 10 year rollover, you could put 1/10 into direct long term treasuries and 9/10 into FNBGX, then each year for the next 10 years peel 1/10 out of that fund and into direct bonds.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Thu May 23, 2019 4:07 pm

pmward wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:57 pm
ppnewbie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 pm
Excellent Thread:

Yep, that would be a good low cost fund. You can even do the same thing I'm doing with cash, use that fund as a way to dollar cost average into direct LTT's. If you're doing the standard 10 year rollover, you could put 1/10 into direct long term treasuries and 9/10 into FNBGX, then each year for the next 10 years peel 1/10 out of that fund and into direct bonds.
Thanks I was thinking that exact thing.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu May 23, 2019 11:04 pm

pmward wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:59 pm
Kbg wrote:
Mathematically, is there really any difference between buying a ladder, or just buying all at auction up front? All changes in past yields should be prorated into the existing bonds.
Yes, because the coupons will all be different on day 1. Ladders at the end of the day are an averaging mechanism. If you know interest rates are heading straight south then you would never ladder and you would load up on 30 yr bonds. If you knew interest rates were headed straight north you would buy 4wk T-Bills. If you don’t claim to know any of that in advance, ladders get you the average over the time period you run the ladder at the bond duration level you target.

In the financial markets average is good. Most investors don’t achieve it.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri May 24, 2019 8:57 am

Kbg wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:04 pm
pmward wrote:
Kbg wrote:
Yes, because the coupons will all be different on day 1. Ladders at the end of the day are an averaging mechanism. If you know interest rates are heading straight south then you would never ladder and you would load up on 30 yr bonds. If you knew interest rates were headed straight north you would buy 4wk T-Bills. If you don’t claim to know any of that in advance, ladders get you the average over the time period you run the ladder at the bond duration level you target.

Well I was speaking purely about laddering 30 year in the context of a PP where someone rolls over at 20 year maturity. Mathematically, the if someone is buying all 30 year bonds anyways, there shouldn't be much difference in the purchase (assuming all are in tax deferred, obviously in taxable lower yields are more tax efficient). I mean, they will be a bit more volatile the first couple years on a day to day basis, but come time to sell and roll there shouldn't really be much difference. I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle to split up and buy in the repo markets 10% 2009 issue, 10% 2010 issue, ... I'm a big fan of "keep it simple, stupid" wherever possible.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Fri May 24, 2019 9:44 am

There are probably endless ways to do this...I personally would ladder annually for sound financial reasons as a lot can happen in 5 years and especially with 30 yr bonds. But if simplicity is a significant issue, go for it. It’s your $$$.

If you are going to roll out at the 20 or 25 year point do your duration calculations, run some scenarios and make sure you are good with the potential results if interest rates go up. What you will find in general is A) you will roll with a loss most likely (specifics will matter here) and B) laddering will have been a better financial choice.

A good assumption for scenarios is nominal at 4-7%.
LittleDinghy

Post by LittleDinghy » Fri May 31, 2019 1:21 pm

pmward wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 pm
Personally what I would do is buy all of them at the next auction (next one is June 6). Then you can roll them a little each year. So if you want to target a 5 year rollover you sell and rollover 1/5 for the next 5 years, then after then they just roll automatically. If you do a 10 year rollover, you sell and rollover 1/10 every year for the next 10 years.
I am in the similar boat as the originator of this thread with similar size investments. I implemented the equity portions (20% S&P500 & 20% Small Cap Value) earlier this week and now want to implement the LTT 20% and the cash 20% (to be split between 0-12 month T-bills emergency funds in a taxable account and the bulk in 1-3 yr T-Notes). My question relates is whether (and why) it is better to buy the longest LTTs I can at Fidelity (April 15, 2049) and then rollover 1/5th for the next 5 years as suggested in the quote above, or to go ahead and set up a 5 rung ladder of LTTs at Fidelity maturing from 2045-2049? What are the pros and cons of each choice? Thank you!
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri May 31, 2019 1:32 pm

LittleDinghy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:21 pm
pmward wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 pm
I am in the similar boat as the originator of this thread with similar size investments. I implemented the equity portions (20% S&P500 & 20% Small Cap Value) earlier this week and now want to implement the LTT 20% and the cash 20% (to be split between 0-12 month T-bills emergency funds in a taxable account and the bulk in 1-3 yr T-Notes). My question relates is whether (and why) it is better to buy the longest LTTs I can at Fidelity (April 15, 2049) and then rollover 1/5th for the next 5 years as suggested in the quote above, or to go ahead and set up a 5 rung ladder of LTTs at Fidelity maturing from 2045-2049? What are the pros and cons of each choice? Thank you!
Pro of buying all of the longest bond: You can buy them all at the next auction next week so it's simple and there is no spread you have to worry about.

Con of buying all the longest bond: Since you are doing the 1-3 year maturity on cash and a 5 year rollover on the long bonds, you would wind up with slightly longer average maturity (16 years vs 15) which means a bit added volatility (could also be a pro depending on if that volatility works in your favor or not). You can also go with all 1 year T Bills on the short end and wind up with 15.25 year average maturity when combined with purchasing all the 30 year up front, which is basically a wash on the average maturity and volatility as a whole.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Fri May 31, 2019 5:27 pm

This is in another thread...but very relevant.

https://portfoliocharts.com/2019/05/27/ ... convexity/

There's really no right or wrong here. It comes down to convenience and understanding the trade offs of your decision and being good with them.

If you read the article and study the chart I believe it is some ammo for what I was advocating on the long side of your purchases and also captures why I never mentioned anything about the short side. The long side will have serious repercussions (good or bad) to your portfolio. Therefore, I believe getting the average of whatever is going to happen is a more prudent option.

On a practical note regarding level of effort...you have no choice but to be active managing the short side. I don't see a whole lot more work doing same on the long side.

But again...see line #2.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:13 am

Kbg wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:27 pm
This is in another thread...but very relevant.

https://portfoliocharts.com/2019/05/27/ ... convexity/

There's really no right or wrong here. It comes down to convenience and understanding the trade offs of your decision and being good with them.

If you read the article and study the chart I believe it is some ammo for what I was advocating on the long side of your purchases and also captures why I never mentioned anything about the short side. The long side will have serious repercussions (good or bad) to your portfolio. Therefore, I believe getting the average of whatever is going to happen is a more prudent option.

On a practical note regarding level of effort...you have no choice but to be active managing the short side. I don't see a whole lot more work doing same on the long side.

But again...see line #2.
Funny - I was actually starting to read Tyler's article and I saw your post as well.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Kbg wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:04 pm
pmward wrote:
Kbg wrote:

Quick question on this. Isn't building in and harnessing the maximum volatility of one of the 4 asset classes a feature of the PP. Laddering in 30 year bonds over say 5 years seems to be a way to reduce some of the volatility. (Not being facetious here just trying to get a better handle on this) - but if you want to reduce volatility, 10 year bonds seem to be less volatile than a 30 year ladder. It would be great if there was a way to back test a PP portfolio with a close to 30 year average LTT maturities. Anyway thanks so much. I feel like I can start to see the forces working on the gyroscope with all the craziness happening in the economy at the moment.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:50 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:23 pm
Quick question on this. Isn't building in and harnessing the maximum volatility of one of the 4 asset classes a feature of the PP. Laddering in 30 year bonds over say 5 years seems to be a way to reduce some of the volatility. (Not being facetious here just trying to get a better handle on this) - but if you want to reduce volatility, 10 year bonds seem to be less volatile than a 30 year ladder. It would be great if there was a way to back test a PP portfolio with a close to 30 year average LTT maturities. Anyway thanks so much. I feel like I can start to see the forces working on the gyroscope with all the craziness happening in the economy at the moment.
My personal take is the above is secondary. Primary is certain assets do better in different economic and monetary conditions. Volatility of the "on" asset helps mitigate the "off" assets. IDK, but I'm going to guess that when HBPP was working with the financial guy he mentioned in backtesting and constructing the PP they knew they needed the right assets to generate a decent real return and that probably wasn't going to happen with super mellow assets. It's counter-intuitive and I'm not going to go into the reasons here, but when constructing a portfolio too little volatility is a very undesirable characteristic. On the other end of the scale adding a dash of mellow to something volatile can actually improve not only risk adjusted but raw returns. If you're into matrix algebra, correlations and returns it's all out there in the google world.

You could get a pretty close answer to your question if you really wanted to. Take the dividend adjusted return history of TLT and do your own overlay using the bond duration formula and then back that into the PP's performance and rebalance annually.

Technical note...30 year bonds do not exist at all times. There are periods when they were not issued.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:47 pm

I am buying 1/4 of the LTT allocation to 30 year treasury bonds at auction
3/4 FNBGX with an average maturity of 24.1 years. So the total comes out to an average long term maturity of 25.575 years.
I may peel of a fourth of that FNBGX pile and get a 2048 bond. Anyway thanks for the help!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Kbg wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:50 pm

You could get a pretty close answer to your question if you really wanted to. Take the dividend adjusted return history of TLT and do your own overlay using the bond duration formula and then back that into the PP's performance and rebalance annually.

Technical note...30 year bonds do not exist at all times. There are periods when they were not issued.
Directly related to something I asked earlier tonight.....where do I found the above described...."dividend adjusted return history of TLT"?

Thanks

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:00 am

Iirc you said you got a tiingo subscription, there are instructions on how to do downloads.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:28 pm

Sorry I've been absent a looong time. But if it did not cost so much, I would love to just buy TLT.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:37 am

Vanguard and Schwab both have etf equivalents for less than half the cost of tlt.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:46 pm

Nice! Do you have the names of the funds offhand?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:56 pm

(ppnewbie)...if it did not cost so much, I would love to just buy TLT.
(kbg) Vanguard and Schwab both have etf equivalents for less than half the cost of tlt.
ppnewbie wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:46 pm
Nice! Do you have the names of the funds offhand?
Vanguard has VGLT
https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/VGLT
RIP Marcello Gandini