Vanguard and Fidelity Treasury MM funds closed to new investors

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Vanguard and Fidelity Treasury MM funds closed to new investors

Post by Kevin K. » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:46 pm

What's the old saw about cash being king? Read through this article to see the scale of the inflows they've been dealing with at Vanguard alone. Pretty breathtaking.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/vanguard ... 44970.html

I note that that last time Vanguard closed their Treasury MM fund it took them nearly 8 years to reopen it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vanguard and Fidelity Treasury MM funds closed to new investors

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:16 pm

Kevin K. wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:46 pm
What's the old saw about cash being king? Read through this article to see the scale of the inflows they've been dealing with at Vanguard alone. Pretty breathtaking.

I note that that last time Vanguard closed their Treasury MM fund it took them nearly 8 years to reopen it.

What is a new investor?

Someone who has no Vanguard investments?

Even present Vanguard investors?

Even present Vanguard investors who already own the fund in a taxable account but not in one of their retirement accounts?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:45 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:16 pm
Kevin K. wrote:

What is a new investor?

Even present Vanguard investors who already own the fund in a taxable account but not in one of their retirement accounts?

Vinny
New investors means anyone that does not already have money in the fund. I'm not sure about the mixed account one though, that's a good question.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:43 pm

pmward wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:45 pm
vnatale wrote:
Kevin K. wrote:

What is a new investor?

Vinny
New investors means anyone that does not already have money in the fund. I'm not sure about the mixed account one though, that's a good question.
But existing investors can add as much as they want, I presume?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:25 am

I'm really curious what kind of investor is going there. Does it reflect the "normal" distribution of the market?
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:24 am

fdlxx for all purpose is at zero now ... i think it shows .01% ... i think my citi bank account is higher lol ... them and chase are always the laggards .

we took advantage of a citi special and got 1100 bucks for opening an account ..

it is hard to compare the etf's to money markets because they use 2 different methods of computing yield .... money money markets are the last 7 days ...etf's like shv , bill , shy , etc , are based on the last 30 days ending with the last month , so they are way way behind for comparison purpose
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:20 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:43 pm
pmward wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:45 pm
vnatale wrote:
Kevin K. wrote:

What is a new investor?

Vinny
But existing investors can add as much as they want, I presume?

Vinny
Exactly
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:19 am

yes , you can add
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:35 am

Definitely I can confirm that you can add or withdraw money to existing positions. It is an interesting question whether you can open that fund in a different account within the same brokerage, if you are already an investor. Probably worth a phone call since I imagine the online software wouldn't allow you to open a new position.

I'm glad I got those funds set up in all relevant accounts in time. Thanks to a timely thread opened by (I think) Libertarian666. (I had two positions and quickly set up the third.)
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Ditto. I got into Vanguard’s Treasury MMF shortly before they closed it to new investors thanks to Libertarian666’s warning thread.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:37 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:28 pm
Ditto. I got into Vanguard’s Treasury MMF shortly before they closed it to new investors thanks to Libertarian666’s warning thread.
Same here!

All Hail, Libertarian666!

Vinny
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:31 pm

Me too! Thanks Techno!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:45 pm

sophie wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:35 am
Definitely I can confirm that you can add or withdraw money to existing positions. It is an interesting question whether you can open that fund in a different account within the same brokerage, if you are already an investor. Probably worth a phone call since I imagine the online software wouldn't allow you to open a new position.
That's a good question. I've been holding onto the Treasury MM fund for over a decade and for the most part I only had a few thousand in there, nowhere near 50K.

I never tried to open up another instance of it in my Roth IRA.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:51 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:45 pm
sophie wrote:
That's a good question. I've been holding onto the Treasury MM fund for over a decade and for the most part I only had a few thousand in there, nowhere near 50K.

I never tried to open up another instance of it in my Roth IRA.
Even though I had well over $50,000 in my taxable account with Vanguard and was in this money market fund, Vanguard was adamant that I was not even eligible to have the money market in a retirement account if I did not have the minimum $50,000 in that retirement account to put into it. I was not happy that Vanguard was not taking a total view perspective of the investor. Therefore I'm assuming that if that retirement account grows to more than $50,000 they are going to tell me the fund is closed to me.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:00 pm

sophie wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:51 pm
Even though I had well over $50,000 in my taxable account with Vanguard and was in this money market fund, Vanguard was adamant that I was not even eligible to have the money market in a retirement account if I did not have the minimum $50,000 in that retirement account to put into it. I was not happy that Vanguard was not taking a total view perspective of the investor. Therefore I'm assuming that if that retirement account grows to more than $50,000 they are going to tell me the fund is closed to me.
Oh, I blew it! Vanguard explicitly told me, if some guy named Vinny comes calling, don't tell him about your second treasury mm fund. ;-)
(Let's call it TMMF for a minute).

Vinny, I didn't get what you were saying at first, but it sounded like you were saying the answer to Sophie's question is no. Kind of.
But, if you had the 50K in the account where you wanted a new instance of the TMMF, they would let you buy it because you're not a new investor, not a new holder of the TMMF.
So the answer is yes, kind of.
Do I have that right?

"So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me..."
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:11 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:00 pm
sophie wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:51 pm
Oh, I blew it! Vanguard explicitly told me, if some guy named Vinny comes calling, don't tell him about your second treasury mm fund. ;-)
(Let's call it TMMF for a minute).

Vinny, I didn't get what you were saying at first, but it sounded like you were saying the answer to Sophie's question is no. Kind of.
But, if you had the 50K in the account where you wanted a new instance of the TMMF, they would let you buy it because you're not a new investor, not a new holder of the TMMF.
So the answer is yes, kind of.
Do I have that right?
I'll use some examples and tell me if it does not answer the questions.

I have a taxable account of $125,000.

I have a retirement account with $40,000.

Both had been invested in the Prime Money Market Fund.

There was no problem exchanging the $125,000 to the Treasury Money Market Fund. I met the $50,000 minimum.

Now I also want to exchange the $40,000 also to that fund.

In the process of attempting to complete the transaction online I received a message I was not able to do this. Asked a representative about this. He confirmed that they do not take a whole view of you. It is account by account.

Therefore, even though in the above example I have $165,000 invested with Vanguard and $125,000 in that Treasury Money Market Fund they would not allow me open a another Treasury Market Fund in the retirement account. Therefore, I'm going to assume that if after I make some form of contribution to that Retirement account of $15,000 to bring it to $55,000 I'm now going to be told that that account is closed to new investors.

They take a narrow view of investor. Not the total investments you have with them. instead, the amounts you have invested with them in each separate account.

Vinny
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:24 pm

Kevin K. wrote:

That's an interesting article. I never understood why these funds close when interest rates get low.