maturities

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

maturities

Post by AdamA »

Assuming that a PP investor has a reasonable amount of cash saved in the form of T-bills, how much do you guys think it's safe to tinker with the expiration date on the rest of his Treasury notes?

2 years?  5 years?  When does it cease to be cash?
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: maturities

Post by MediumTex »

AdamA wrote: Assuming that a PP investor has a reasonable amount of cash saved in the form of T-bills, how much do you guys think it's safe to tinker with the expiration date on the rest of his Treasury notes?

2 years?  5 years?  When does it cease to be cash?
To me, if you are going to look for longer dated instruments series EE and I savings bonds are hard to beat, especially since you are getting higher yields than t-bills with basically no risk to principal and complete tax deferral until redemption.

Why mess around with 5 year treasuries when you can do savings bonds with more safety and tax efficiency?
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: maturities

Post by moda0306 »

AdamA,

I think after 3 years you're starting to weaken the pot.

However, looking at yield curves always helps... if we have an inverted  yield curve, going shorter actually provide higher rates.

However, when rates are as low as they are now no matter where you are on the short end of the curve, I'm much more in favor of 1-year or less.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine