Going to the dark side (Synchrony Bank)

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Going to the dark side (Synchrony Bank)

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:14 pm

Wow that's really tempting!

How reliable are these Bogleheads groupies in not piling into a deal then having regrets later?

It looks like the offer is gone already.  :'(
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:26 pm

dualstow wrote: Thanks. Hmm, I should really consider doing nothing. The 1.19% is an average on mostly 3-year treasury notes.
One small correction: they are actually 5-year notes that are due in 3 years.
RIP Marcello Gandini
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:22 pm

dualstow wrote:
dualstow wrote: Thanks. Hmm, I should really consider doing nothing. The 1.19% is an average on mostly 3-year treasury notes.
One small correction: they are actually 5-year notes that are due in 3 years.
Mine too.  I would have to call to break 'em so I've been delaying until they are formally 3 years old.  I wish banks would get with the times and do everything online.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:52 pm

Mine are in brokerage houses, so I can just trade'em away if I decide not to keep them.
RIP Marcello Gandini
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:26 am

Great thread, so going to revive.
Your link to the early withdrawal calculator was very helpful, MG! Looks like Synchrony still the best. Seems to beat the others, and is likely a better then even Ally's Raise-Your-Rate CD posted by Sophie.

But looks like people's experience at Synchrony has been horrible. What did you end up doing, Dualstow, and what was your experience?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:08 am

BearBones wrote: But looks like people's experience at Synchrony has been horrible. What did you end up doing, Dualstow, and what was your experience?
I stuck with treasury notes. I have 2- 3- and 5- year notes, but everything is now due in under three years.
My friend grumbled about his Synchrony experience.
In the end, my decision was based on keeping things simple, not lowering my already low taxes.
RIP Marcello Gandini