Understanding Cash Will Make You a Happier Investor (Tyler)

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

grapesofwrath
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Understanding Cash Will Make You a Happier Investor (Tyler)

Post by grapesofwrath » Mon May 15, 2017 8:11 pm

sophie wrote:I wonder if anyone thought that autorolling Treasuries might spell the death of Treasury money market funds, with their high (0.4%+) ERs.
One day I was horrified to discover that 70-80% of my treasury cash yield at a Schwab fund was being sucked up by their "expenses". So I decided to just use Tbills instead. Also I don't really have a need for cash and I don't have the stomach for 20yr bonds so I decided to combine short and long and set up a ~5yr (intermediate) treasury ladder. I intend to hold to maturity so Treasury Direct seemed OK. I also liked the instituitional diversification of not having all at brokerage. I started setting ladder up by buying 1,2,3 and 5 year notes in the first year, second year fill in the gaps with 3 and 5 year purchases and then just let it roll from there. I may add 7yr notes.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Tue May 16, 2017 8:04 am

sophie wrote:...CDs are great for taxable cash, but Barrett was asking about a retirement account...
Sophie, why would it make a difference if the CDs were held in an IRA? I am just trying to generate a bit of yield on the cash in my IRA. Thanks.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Tue May 16, 2017 8:51 am

grapesofwrath wrote:
sophie wrote:I wonder if anyone thought that autorolling Treasuries might spell the death of Treasury money market funds, with their high (0.4%+) ERs.
One day I was horrified to discover that 70-80% of my treasury cash yield at a Schwab fund was being sucked up by their "expenses". So I decided to just use Tbills instead. Also I don't really have a need for cash and I don't have the stomach for 20yr bonds so I decided to combine short and long and set up a ~5yr (intermediate) treasury ladder. I intend to hold to maturity so Treasury Direct seemed OK. I also liked the instituitional diversification of not having all at brokerage. I started setting ladder up by buying 1,2,3 and 5 year notes in the first year, second year fill in the gaps with 3 and 5 year purchases and then just let it roll from there. I may add 7yr notes.
This is the simplest solution. The past performance of a PP with 50% allocation to intermediate treasuries is nearly identical to that of a PP with a 25/25 cash/LTT allocation.
Jeffreyalan

Post by Jeffreyalan » Tue May 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Do most of you keep your cash in Treasury Direct? Or in a brokerage?
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Wed May 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Brokerage for me.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Jack Jones wrote:Brokerage for me.
Me too.
2nd initialism of the day (a two-fer!) low-SES: Socioeconomic Status
Acronym of the Day: RINO = Republican In Name Only
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 17, 2017 9:52 pm

dualstow wrote:Could you guys explain how you're calculating it? I don't know how it's done.

I just know that I have bills and notes (up to 3-year notes), so I can see individually how they're doing.
For example, the $10,000 block ending in ~LF4 2017-Jun-29 (bought as a 26-week t-bill) is up $27.
The $10,000 block ending in ~R44, due 2019-MAY-15 (bought as a 3-year note) is down $84.
Yes, I'm going to get my money back, but when I add up everything (cost vs holding value, but not interest paid), it's down...

Well it's up now ;-)
grapesofwrath
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by grapesofwrath » Thu May 18, 2017 6:21 am

dualstow wrote:
dualstow wrote:Could you guys explain how you're calculating it? I don't know how it's done.

I just know that I have bills and notes (up to 3-year notes), so I can see individually how they're doing.
For example, the $10,000 block ending in ~LF4 2017-Jun-29 (bought as a 26-week t-bill) is up $27.
The $10,000 block ending in ~R44, due 2019-MAY-15 (bought as a 3-year note) is down $84.
Yes, I'm going to get my money back, but when I add up everything (cost vs holding value, but not interest paid), it's down...

Well it's up now ;-)
This is another reason I prefer holding my bills/notes at treasury direct rather than a brokerage. A brokerage tends to prominently display the daily current market value of each of your bill/note/bond. As far as I'm aware TD doesn't show this (or I haven't seen it and not looked for it). As interest rates rise/fall above what you bought your bill/note/bond for its value on the market (if you tried to sell it) will fall/rise. This daily loss/gain displayed in reds and greens is a distraction to me and fear it may tempt me to do something stupid like figure out which way interest rates are headed... I'm trying to get into a mode of been oblivious and trying not to care.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu May 18, 2017 6:32 am

Or you could always ... not look. ;-)
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu May 18, 2017 6:53 am

Jeffreyalan wrote:Do most of you keep your cash in Treasury Direct? Or in a brokerage?
Deep cash at Treasury direct. "Shallow" cash in bank savings account. All other cash in brokerage as autorolled T bills. But that's not a hard and fast plan. I figure I'll be moving more cash into Treasury Direct, especially given that autorolled T bills will give approximately the same return as the bank savings account & CDs, after taxes.

Banks should be ashamed of themselves...interest rates have barely budged despite the jump in Treasuries.
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by eufo » Thu May 18, 2017 8:20 am

sophie wrote:Banks should be ashamed of themselves...interest rates have barely budged despite the jump in Treasuries.
Agree. Chase keeps sending me a deal for $200 to deposit $15,000 into one of their savings accounts and leave it for 90 days. It's actually a good deal except that I will have to pretty much instantly close the account because of the 0.03% APY. Is it worth $200 to have to move money around, open the account, wait 90 days, monitor until the money goes in, close the account and shuffle money back where I want it? No.

Hey, Chase... up the interest rate on your savings and I'll just have a savings account with you instead of somewhere else. It's that simple.
Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu May 18, 2017 11:00 am

eufo wrote:
sophie wrote:Banks should be ashamed of themselves...interest rates have barely budged despite the jump in Treasuries.
Agree. Chase keeps sending me a deal for $200 to deposit $15,000 into one of their savings accounts and leave it for 90 days. It's actually a good deal except that I will have to pretty much instantly close the account because of the 0.03% APY. Is it worth $200 to have to move money around, open the account, wait 90 days, monitor until the money goes in, close the account and shuffle money back where I want it? No.

Hey, Chase... up the interest rate on your savings and I'll just have a savings account with you instead of somewhere else. It's that simple.
Ha. They are never going to do that. Their profit model is to rip-off the people who don't know better or are too lazy to [or can't] move their money elsewhere. Then add in the lure of easy 'free' money to open the account. Most people will just leave it there once the account is established.