The GOLD scream room

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by technovelist » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:58 pm

1546 now
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8818
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:41 pm

oh my
Gold has passed 1645/oz
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2929
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by ochotona » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:02 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:41 pm
oh my
When is $1600?

But seriously it needs a breather at some point
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:01 am

No, it doesn't need to stop. It's not going to... yet.

It's going to $5,000; then to $10,000; then it's going to $20,000.

When it hits $20,000 Craig and Tex will come back and write a new edition of their book that advocates replacing gold with platinum in the PP.

The U.S. Dollar collapses and at the same time NASA finally captures that gold packed asteroid up in space. The gold price subsequently collapses as well, and the price of platinum rises to 1 trillion dollars per ounce.

Craig and Tex, for their prudence, become joint fed chairmen and the true believers on this forum all become members of the board of governors.

^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^
e + 1 = 0
Check out the Gold Smith Portfolio: https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9613
Remember to watch National Treasure at least once per year to maintain your forum membership.
VVL is Ben Graham in a box.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1895
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:16 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:01 am
No, it doesn't need to stop. It's not going to... yet.

It's going to $5,000; then to $10,000; then it's going to $20,000.
BYAH!

Image
There are several thousand nearly complete viral genomes integrated into the human genome, most now inert or missing a crucial gene. These account for 1.3% of the entire genome. That may not sound like much, but 'proper' genes account for only 3%. If you think being descended from apes is bad for your self-esteem, then get used to the idea that you are also descended from viruses.
Ridley, Genome
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8818
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:27 am

Just minutes ago, I removed a long ingrown beard whisker AND got rid of IAU in my 401(k) above breakeven.
The two experiences felt rather the same.

(I still believe in holding 25% gold in the pp. This is just a move to holding all physical).

P.S. ^Love that Dean scream, Kriegs.^
Gold has passed 1645/oz
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2929
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by ochotona » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:45 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:27 am
Just minutes ago, I removed a long ingrown beard whisker AND got rid of IAU in my 401(k) above breakeven.
The two experiences felt rather the same.

(I still believe in holding 25% gold in the pp. This is just a move to holding all physical).

P.S. ^Love that Dean scream, Kriegs.^

I just sold my shares in NEM (Newmont Goldcorp) and will move my HSA to Fidelity and re-buy IAU... sorry Lively HSA, I have too many login accounts. And the ETFs are off-brands.

I set up a taxable TD Ameritrade account with a cashless HBPP in it, total value $109, so I can keep using TD's fine alerting system.
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3149
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by sophie » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:23 pm

Good luck with getting your money out of LIvely! It can be done, but it was like pulling teeth. Be prepared to spend hours on the phone repeatedly, and expect the process to take around 3 months (which is how long it took for me). I'm sure they have seen a lot of their accounts go to Fidelity. It will definitely be simpler if you liquidate the TDA account and transfer the cash into Lively, rather than attempting an in-kind transfer.

Dualstow: all physical, eh?? Wow!! Didn't know you were hardcore.
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2929
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by ochotona » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:38 pm

sophie wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:23 pm
Good luck with getting your money out of LIvely! It can be done, but it was like pulling teeth. Be prepared to spend hours on the phone repeatedly, and expect the process to take around 3 months (which is how long it took for me). I'm sure they have seen a lot of their accounts go to Fidelity. It will definitely be simpler if you liquidate the TDA account and transfer the cash into Lively, rather than attempting an in-kind transfer.

Dualstow: all physical, eh?? Wow!! Didn't know you were hardcore.

Yes, vacating my positions in TDA, pushing the cash to Lively.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8818
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Not hardcore, Soph. I guess I feel like I’ll be holding gold long-term, so I would rather have metal than paper. IAU will lose value over time if the price treads water. I can give the coins to heirs.

Also, there is no paperwork to fill out for the accountant.
Gold has passed 1645/oz
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2976
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by pugchief » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:38 pm

ochotona wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:38 pm
sophie wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:23 pm
Good luck with getting your money out of LIvely! It can be done, but it was like pulling teeth. Be prepared to spend hours on the phone repeatedly, and expect the process to take around 3 months (which is how long it took for me). I'm sure they have seen a lot of their accounts go to Fidelity. It will definitely be simpler if you liquidate the TDA account and transfer the cash into Lively, rather than attempting an in-kind transfer.

Dualstow: all physical, eh?? Wow!! Didn't know you were hardcore.

Yes, vacating my positions in TDA, pushing the cash to Lively.
Ocho, please keep us posted on how this works out. I have been thinking about moving from Lively to Fido also.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8818
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:45 pm

Well, gold is back down to earth. I cannot decide if I'd rather have it go up or down at this point.
I think I have achieved nirvana.
Gold has passed 1645/oz
Post Reply