Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Texas Bullion Depository is the Best Way to Protect Your Gold

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 am

ochotona wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:18 am
Thanks, your posts were sounding a bit promotional. Good arguments, though. I use a small bank way out in the Texas countryside, box insured, it's not an evil mega bank. I just don't see the point of paying more carry charges, if you compound them over the next thirty years it's a lot of money the gold holder pays. TBD fee 0.5% would be $100 per month for me at present gold prices and portfolio size. In future could be in multi-hundreds per month. Gold Roth IRA at GoldStar Trust co is 0.175% for $100k physical gold which you own, and ultimately tax free. I have one of these also. I don't distrust Perth Mint AAAU, though it's new.
I have one of those Goldstar Trust IRAs as well, and you can't beat the fees.
But you still have the disadvantages of IRAs.
What do you mean "ultimately tax free"?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:16 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 am
Let's say you bought gold at $1,000 per ounce. Let's say it goes to $10,000 per ounce. The capital gain is $9,000 per ounce. You take a distribution out of the Roth, or your heirs get it. You or they pay NO TAX on the $9,000 per ounce gain.

If you had physical in your possession, you'd pay, worst-case, 28% on the gain, or $2,520 per ounce (the collectibles tax top rate is 28%). If the gold was in a Traditional IRA, the distribution would be taxed as ordinary income, whatever your rates will be in the future.

If you believe, as I do, that Gold could be a or the top performer in our portfolios over a long period of time due to the central bank nonsense we now see, the Roth is a great place to put it.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:05 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:16 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 am
Let's say you bought gold at $1,000 per ounce. Let's say it goes to $10,000 per ounce. The capital gain is $9,000 per ounce. You take a distribution out of the Roth, or your heirs get it. You or they pay NO TAX on the $9,000 per ounce gain.

If you had physical in your possession, you'd pay, worst-case, 28% on the gain, or $2,520 per ounce (the collectibles tax top rate is 28%). If the gold was in a Traditional IRA, the distribution would be taxed as ordinary income, whatever your rates will be in the future.

If you believe, as I do, that Gold could be a or the top performer in our portfolios over a long period of time due to the central bank nonsense we now see, the Roth is a great place to put it.
Sorry, missed the Roth part. Now it makes sense.