Hal wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:15 am
Hal wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:06 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:39 pm
stuper1 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:13 pm
I'm just trying to understand Rickards' position. What is it about pegging the gold price at a high dollar amount that would cause inflation, at least in his mind? I still don't get it. I must be dumb. I don't think bakers value their materials and labor in grams of gold. Maybe I have to buy one of Rickards' books.
You're not dumb. It makes no sense.
Think his reasoning is along the lines of

1. Current USD loses value as people lose faith in "The trust and credit" of the USA

2. New 40% gold backed USD issued

3. Relative to the new Gold USD, the Fed USD will continue to inflate (less purchasing power) until its converted to the new USD.

At least that's my take on it :o
ps: Vaguely remember something similar happened in 1871 when the US changed to backing of the dollar from silver to gold.
If you were holding silver dollars you experienced price rises as it progressively purchased less than gold.
http://pricedingold.com/silver/
There won't be two different USDs at the same time. If they actually do issue a new one with gold backing, they will cancel all the old ones.

BTW, the new one would have to be 100% backed and the backing validated by a third party for anyone to believe it.

As for the "crime of '73" (https://www.usmint.gov/news/inside-the- ... me-of-1873), that was because silver was legally overvalued relative to a gold dollar: see "Gresham's Law". Obviously that wouldn't happen if there is only one actual money in circulation.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How Does Fixing the Gold Price Create Inflation

Post by Hal » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:37 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:31 am

There won't be two different USDs at the same time. If they actually do issue a new one with gold backing, they will cancel all the old ones.

BTW, the new one would have to be 100% backed and the backing validated by a third party for anyone to believe it.

As for the "crime of '73" (https://www.usmint.gov/news/inside-the- ... me-of-1873), that was because silver was legally overvalued relative to a gold dollar: see "Gresham's Law". Obviously that wouldn't happen if there is only one actual money in circulation.
Thanks Tech,

I'm guessing the greenbacks issued during the civil war were exchanged with some other gold or silver backed note ?
My US monetary history comes from watching old westerns and civil war movies. ;)

The only in-depth read I had of the US system was from "Coins Financial School".

https://archive.org/details/coinsfinanc ... rch/weight

ps: I believe in the early days for us "Subjects of the Crown" the Pound Sterling was actually a pound of silver.
pps: For some reason Rickards thinks 40% backing will work - don't know why
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:43 am

stuper1 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:13 pm
I'm just trying to understand Rickards' position. What is it about pegging the gold price at a high dollar amount that would cause inflation, at least in his mind? I still don't get it. I must be dumb. I don't think bakers value their materials and labor in grams of gold. Maybe I have to buy one of Rickards' books.
I think he way trying to convey that if Gold"s value was Higher it would take more Dollars hence Inflation for the Dollar.
Now we could discuss "value" but let's not.
Before Gold Peg.. Apple = $1.00
After Gold Peg.. Apple = $5.00

$1.00 Dollar does not buy as many apples so Inflation in Dollar.

If you want a Gold Standard there is a way it's just not as easily convertible.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:06 am

Hal wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:37 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:31 am

Thanks Tech,

I'm guessing the greenbacks issued during the civil war were exchanged with some other gold or silver backed note ?
My US monetary history comes from watching old westerns and civil war movies. ;)

The only in-depth read I had of the US system was from "Coins Financial School".

https://archive.org/details/coinsfinanc ... rch/weight

ps: I believe in the early days for us "Subjects of the Crown" the Pound Sterling was actually a pound of silver.
pps: For some reason Rickards thinks 40% backing will work - don't know why
Yes, the greenbacks were eventually made convertible after the end of the war.
The Pound Sterling was originally a pound of "sterlings", which were small silver coins.
The 40% figure probably comes from the original Federal Reserve requirement that Federal Reserve Notes be backed by a minimum 40% in gold.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:22 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:49 pm
This has actually been tried before, by FDR.
It didn't work.
It won't work now either.
Define the term "work". The very day they changed the gold peg was the day that the data shows that the economic recovery from the Great Depression began. I'm sure it's not ironic that those dates line up. It might not have created "inflation" but it sure did counter the deflation (which in a relative manner is generating inflation).
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:02 pm

pmward wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:22 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
It didn't work.
Define the term "work". The very day they changed the gold peg was the day that the data shows that the economic recovery from the Great Depression began. I'm sure it's not ironic that those dates line up. It might not have created "inflation" but it sure did counter the deflation (which in a relative manner is generating inflation).
If you want to know the truth, read Rothbard's book about the Great Depression. It's free at https://cdn.mises.org/Americas%20Great% ... sion_3.pdf
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:16 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:02 pm
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
It didn't work.
If you want to know the truth, read Rothbard's book about the Great Depression. It's free at https://cdn.mises.org/Americas%20Great% ... sion_3.pdf
And you can read Ray Dalio's Navigating Big Debt crisis here via free PDF: https://www.principles.com/big-debt-crises/

He does a very in depth study of the Great Depression, and all of the charts and figures in the book show the economic data from the time started to turn up and recover on the very day that they devalued the dollar.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:33 pm

pmward wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:16 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
It didn't work.
And you can read Ray Dalio's Navigating Big Debt crisis here via free PDF: https://www.principles.com/big-debt-crises/

He does a very in depth study of the Great Depression, and all of the charts and figures in the book show the economic data from the time started to turn up and recover on the very day that they devalued the dollar.
Even assuming that is correct, it's impossible to devalue the dollar against gold today, because there is no link between the two.
So even if it worked then, it can't work now.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:04 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:33 pm
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
It didn't work.

Even assuming that is correct, it's impossible to devalue the dollar against gold today, because there is no link between the two.
You are correct in one way, that there is no reason currently to do so. Back in the Great Depression that was the only way they could add liquidity to the financial system. There was a dollar crunch, and the Fed couldn't do QE like it does today when there was a gold peg. We have had quite a few dollar crunches in the last 10 years, but the Fed is able to print. But that doesn't mean there aren't scenarios where they would look to use gold as a tool to devalue the currency. If the government devalues vs gold by saying they will buy any and all gold for twice the current price, it reduces the value of the dollar as a collateral instrument, and in turn makes our debt more manageable (and provides relief to foreign countries that have large amounts of dollar denominated debt).
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:20 pm

pmward wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:04 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
It didn't work.

You are correct in one way, that there is no reason currently to do so. Back in the Great Depression that was the only way they could add liquidity to the financial system. There was a dollar crunch, and the Fed couldn't do QE like it does today when there was a gold peg. We have had quite a few dollar crunches in the last 10 years, but the Fed is able to print. But that doesn't mean there aren't scenarios where they would look to use gold as a tool to devalue the currency. If the government devalues vs gold by saying they will buy any and all gold for twice the current price, it reduces the value of the dollar as a collateral instrument, and in turn makes our debt more manageable (and provides relief to foreign countries that have large amounts of dollar denominated debt).
It's fine with me if they do that.
However, my prediction is that they will do no such thing but will keep printing wildly until they are forced back onto an actual gold standard by hyperinflation.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:46 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:20 pm
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
It didn't work.

However, my prediction is that they will do no such thing but will keep printing wildly until they are forced back onto an actual gold standard by hyperinflation.
Hyperinflation is impossible in a country with all of it's debts denominated in it's own currency. ESPECIALLY impossible for a country that is the global reserve and trade currency. We will never see hyperinflation. But, we may see high inflation, and that can be painful enough on its own. I do agree that if we got to a point of high inflation, going back on a gold standard, even temporarily until things settle, might be a bit easier to stomach than the Volcker way of jacking interest rates and intentionally sending the country into recession. Especially since our governments debt load is much larger in both absolute and relative terms than it was in Volcker's day. So yes, there is possibility they could do this some day.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:49 pm

pmward wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:46 pm

Hyperinflation is impossible in a country with all of it's debts denominated in it's own currency. ESPECIALLY impossible for a country that is the global reserve and trade currency. We will never see hyperinflation. But, we may see high inflation, and that can be painful enough on its own. I do agree that if we got to a point of high inflation, going back on a gold standard, even temporarily until things settle, might be a bit easier to stomach than the Volcker way of jacking interest rates and intentionally sending the country into recession. Especially since our governments debt load is much larger in both absolute and relative terms than it was in Volcker's day. So yes, there is possibility they could do this some day.
What do you consider to be "high inflation"? And, you can answer in a range, e.g., 10% to 15%, and for a period of time, e.g., at least five years.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:42 am

pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
It didn't work.

So if the Federal Reserve printed $1 million for each American resident and gave it to them, that wouldn't cause hyperinflation? How interesting.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:16 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:49 pm
pmward wrote:

What do you consider to be "high inflation"? And, you can answer in a range, e.g., 10% to 15%, and for a period of time, e.g., at least five years.

Vinny
Yes high inflation is like 10, 15, 20%. Hyperinflation is when inflation gets into the 100's or even 1,000's of percent.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:21 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:42 am
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
pmward wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
It didn't work.

So if the Federal Reserve printed $1 million for each American resident and gave it to them, that wouldn't cause hyperinflation? How interesting.
Let's be realistic here. It is even silly to say that the government would give away $1 million to each resident. And even if they did, it would create a one off burst of inflation... but it wouldn't necessarily create a pattern of hyperinflation over a long period of time. A developed country with all debt denominated in their own currency, especially one that has strong buying demand because of being global reserve and trade currency, simply cannot lose control of the currency enough to have a hyperinflation. It's simply not possible. Every case of hyperinflation in history happened because of large amounts of debt/reparations denominated in a foreign currency. Those countries had to print to pay their debt, yet at the same time the debt valued in their currency kept increasing. This is the cycle that needs to happen to truly get a hyperinflation. We have all of our debt in USD, so it is simply not possible. If we print to pay our debt, the value of our debt goes down instead of up. When your debt is in your own currency inflation helps pay the debt instead of hurting.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:31 am

pmward wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:16 am
vnatale wrote:
pmward wrote:

Vinny
Yes high inflation is like 10, 15, 20%. Hyperinflation is when inflation gets into the 100's or even 1,000's of percent.
What periods of time in our history do you think were then times of "high inflation"? Just trying to determine when it happened and what were its causes.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:24 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:31 am
pmward wrote:
vnatale wrote:
pmward wrote:

Vinny
What periods of time in our history do you think were then times of "high inflation"? Just trying to determine when it happened and what were its causes.

Vinny
The only period post-industrial revolution that we have had high inflation was the 70s-early 80s. Back pre-industrial revolution when we were a developing country we had a long history of problematic inflation. But the country has changed so much that I'm not sure if those are still relevant for the sake of comparison.

From a hyper-inflation standpoint in the developed world, the Weimar Republic is really the poster child. BUT the problem there was that they had a large reparations debt that was denominated in foreign currencies. They had no choice but to print to pay the debt... and the very act of printing itself made the debt more expensive in their local currency. So they were basically screwed from both sides. They couldn't default without facing military action.
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:39 pm

pmward wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:24 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:31 am
pmward wrote:
vnatale wrote:
pmward wrote:

Vinny

Vinny
The only period post-industrial revolution that we have had high inflation was the 70s-early 80s. Back pre-industrial revolution when we were a developing country we had a long history of problematic inflation. But the country has changed so much that I'm not sure if those are still relevant for the sake of comparison.

From a hyper-inflation standpoint in the developed world, the Weimar Republic is really the poster child. BUT the problem there was that they had a large reparations debt that was denominated in foreign currencies. They had no choice but to print to pay the debt... and the very act of printing itself made the debt more expensive in their local currency. So they were basically screwed from both sides. They couldn't default without facing military action.
I'm presuming you mean "the only peacetime period post-industrial revolution we have had high inflation was the 70s-early 80s"; the years during and immediately after WWI (1916 to 1920) were years in which US inflation averaged around 16-17% a year and reached over 20% a year in 1917.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:37 am

Rickards explains his thesis at the 53 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu4gd_r1tsY

<edit> Here as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqPdCkMw-pk
Last edited by Hal on Sun May 03, 2020 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:10 pm

D1984 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:39 pm
pmward wrote:
I'm presuming you mean "the only peacetime period post-industrial revolution we have had high inflation was the 70s-early 80s"; the years during and immediately after WWI (1916 to 1920) were years in which US inflation averaged around 16-17% a year and reached over 20% a year in 1917.
WWII as well, right?

"Policy makers have repeatedly called the battle against the novel coronavirus a war. As in wartime, federal expenditures are rising sharply while tax revenues are being hit by the lockdown. Both World War I and World War II—and, indeed, the Vietnam War—were followed by nasty bouts of inflation."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/get-ready- ... lead_pos10
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:10 pm
D1984 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:39 pm
pmward wrote:
WWII as well, right?

"Policy makers have repeatedly called the battle against the novel coronavirus a war. As in wartime, federal expenditures are rising sharply while tax revenues are being hit by the lockdown. Both World War I and World War II—and, indeed, the Vietnam War—were followed by nasty bouts of inflation."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/get-ready- ... lead_pos10
I'm pretty sure that the current money printing event is unprecedented in the US, even in prior wars.
I can't imagine how it can end well.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:03 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:54 pm
I'm pretty sure that the current money printing event is unprecedented in the US, even in prior wars.
Imagine if you held a lot of gold. That could end well.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:43 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:03 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:54 pm
Imagine if you held a lot of gold. That could end well.
Yes, for me personally. But I would prefer the general public to do at least reasonably well too.