Eagles / Buffalos vs Lady Fortuna’s

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Eagles / Buffalos vs Lady Fortuna’s

Post by ppnewbie » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:53 pm

Just got a beautiful Lady Fortuna 50g bar with PAMP Veriscan (so it’s easy to verify) - is there any reason why this easily verifiable gold would be less liquid than an eagle / buffalo. Also is there any legal difference between a bar and an Eagle / Buffalo?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Eagles / Buffalos vs Lady Fortuna’s

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:21 am

Sorry, no answer to your question. But Damn. That is a gorgeous piece of metal. Congrats!
Mark

P.S. If you ever want to sell, PM me :)
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:27 am

Exactly! It’s beautiful. I want to start a collection but want understand if there are any inherent disadvantages to these bars vs eagles.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:01 am

I'd think it would be less liquid than some basic bitch bullion like Eagles or Krugerrands, but I don't think you'd have trouble selling it. I think the only legal difference is that you can't use a bar as a $20 coin like you can with an Eagle ;D
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:03 pm

Nice.
I'm glad they're easy to verify. When I typed it in google images I saw that there are fake ones.
I stick to the standard 1oz coins because as they get smaller, you pay more per gram.
If the standard were a 1/2 oz, I'd probably buy coins a lot more often.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:43 pm

All my Gold is physical gold, about half i buy from various LCS. Last week i picked up 4 Eagles and 4 buffalos (my first). Eagles and buffalos are legal tender and US mint products. They are very liquid, and will likely fetch the highest premium of bullion when you sell.

If you're just picking up bullion, i see no reason to buy anything else unless its for fun or you can get it almost at spot. Premiums will usually be a little higher on eagles and buffalos but dealers pay more for them so it's a wash.

I have a few maples, some krugers including fractional and a Philharmonic and Panda 1/4 oz for fun. My 2020 Britannia is the most beautiful. I will probably only buy eagles and buffalos from here on out unless i can get fractional for cheap. It'll be easier to unload a tenth or quarter ounce rather than a full ounce when gold is 20k 😁

There are tax implications on the sale of them. I think you only have to report if you sell a large number at once unlike non us coinage. Not totally sure.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:51 pm

I have enough experience with a half dozen LCS to say with certainty if try to sell the Fortuna to an LCS you will get significantly less than if you're selling eagles. Maybe as much as 5-10%. I know that sounds crazy but call a few and ask them to quote you a price. I bet you get a little over spot for an excellent condition eagle and LESS than spot for the bar.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 am

SomeDude wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:43 pm
All my Gold is physical gold
Good for you!!

Question, where do you keep it and how have you insured it? I know we've discussed this for years on the forum, but it's always good to get a new person's take on this.
johnnywitt

Post by johnnywitt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:04 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:53 pm
Just got a beautiful Lady Fortuna 50g bar with PAMP Veriscan (so it’s easy to verify) - is there any reason why this easily verifiable gold would be less liquid than an eagle / buffalo. Also is there any legal difference between a bar and an Eagle / Buffalo?
Yes, it would most likely fetch less because the American Eagle is the "gold standard". The LCS Guy has to deal with customers that are more likely to know what a gold eagle is and trust it more than some other form of bullion. In short, it will be easier for them to turn because it sells itself.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:55 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 am
SomeDude wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:43 pm
All my Gold is physical gold
Good for you!!

Question, where do you keep it and how have you insured it? I know we've discussed this for years on the forum, but it's always good to get a new person's take on this.
😁 i do not insure it as i want as little record of its existence as possible. I store it all at home, in a suitcase full of clothes at the bottom of a closet underneath a pile of junk in my baby girls nursery. I have a newborn girl at the at age of 41 😂.

I need to bury some of it and hide some of it better i know..........

I also have platinum coins, about 10 ounces just as a little bet. I bought them all in the last two years, average price around $900. Just a personal thing to someday walk in and trade them for 1.5 or 2 ounces of gold, knowing i bought them for the cost of 1/2 ounce. I'm prepared to die with them 😝
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:59 pm

johnnywitt wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:04 pm
ppnewbie wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:53 pm
Yes, it would most likely fetch less because the American Eagle is the "gold standard". The LCS Guy has to deal with customers that are more likely to know what a gold eagle is and trust it more than some other form of bullion. In short, it will be easier for them to turn because it sells itself.
Bingo. I don't think any form of gold beats the American eagle here in the US unless it's spot or less. Bonus points for cheap fractional but even then the dealer might lowball you. All bets are off if you have another easy way to sell it.

The buffalos are maybe just as good. At this point if I'm buying a 1oz coin i just look for which one of those i can get cheaper.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:44 am

Thanks this is very helpful. Makes perfect sense. No more combibars or Fortunas. Back to good old Eagles and Buffaloes.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:54 am

ppnewbie wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:44 am
Thanks this is very helpful. Makes perfect sense. No more combibars or Fortunas. Back to good old Eagles and Buffaloes.
Ohhh but if you can get a good price on a flawless Britannia......what a stunner. I didn't think a coin could look better than a maple (the leaf side), but it sure does in my opinion.