where to buy gold coins

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

PPConvert

where to buy gold coins

Post by PPConvert » Thu May 27, 2010 4:18 pm

what is the best, most efficient way to buy gold coins?  i have heard ampex mentioned on bogleheads thread. 

also, for SHTF scenarios where it was necessary to use PM as currency, is it wise to have not just 1 oz gold coins, but also 1/2, 1/4 oz. coins, etc.?  otherwise, how do you pay for smaller stuff since the 1 oz gold coins are worth so much?  is silver the answer here?  thanks.
Wonk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: where to buy gold coins

Post by Wonk » Thu May 27, 2010 4:22 pm

PPConvert wrote: what is the best, most efficient way to buy gold coins?  i have heard ampex mentioned on bogleheads thread. 

also, for SHTF scenarios where it was necessary to use PM as currency, is it wise to have not just 1 oz gold coins, but also 1/2, 1/4 oz. coins, etc.?  otherwise, how do you pay for smaller stuff since the 1 oz gold coins are worth so much?  is silver the answer here?  thanks.
www.tulving.com

Keep 95% gold, 5% pre-1965 silver coins if you are worried about SHTF.
digitalfour

Post by digitalfour » Thu May 27, 2010 6:42 pm

If you are a small time investor like me, I think the best, most efficient way is direct trading on a site like BullionStacker. There are great deals to be had, if you enjoy spending time in that manner.
Pkg Man
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pkg Man » Thu May 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Gainesville Coin has great prices and doesn't require you buy minimum amount.  Bullion Direct has good pricing and is easier to use (you can pay with a check whereas with GC you need to do a bank wire).  APMEX is expensive.  If you are only buying a few I would go with Bullion Direct, otherwise GC.
"Machines are gonna fail...and the system's gonna fail"
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Thu May 27, 2010 8:17 pm

AJPM in Oregon is a good source with small markups:

http://www.ajpm.com

For SHTF, some junk silver coins may be a good option. In a book review I did that covered the Argentina collapse in 2001 the author recommended actually junk gold jewelry that could be sold or cut into smaller pieces easily for barter:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160324133 ... -collapse/

This book was an interesting read about what really happens in places that see their currency sink by large amounts. His advice is from first-hand experience, not theory.
Last edited by craigr on Thu May 27, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu May 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Ditto craig's comment about www.ajpm.com.

They're good.
Last edited by MediumTex on Thu May 27, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: where to buy gold coins locally in Houston, TX?

Post by Jan Van » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:28 pm

Would anybody by chance know a good dealer in Houston, TX?
Online buying seems more complicated than it should be, and then there are the shipping costs and handling costs and such. all I want is get my toes wet by buying one or two Krugerrands or something like that...

jan
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude
Pkg Man
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: where to buy gold coins locally in Houston, TX?

Post by Pkg Man » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:44 pm

jmourik wrote: Online buying seems more complicated than it should be, and then there are the shipping costs and handling costs and such. all I want is get my toes wet by buying one or two Krugerrands or something like that...
I do not, but I have found online buying to be fairly easy.  I looked around where I live for a brick and mortar shop but found few options and prices online where quite a bit better, even after shipping charges.  The cost of shipping and handling is really not that much compared to the cost of the coin itself.  Even if you buy only one Krugerand at say $1,303 (which you can from Bullion Direct at the moment, assuming you pay by check), shipping brings the total to $1,319 and change.  I don't recommend buying one at time, though, as the more you purchase the lower the shipping cost will be per coin.   

One thing about Bullion Direct is that you have the option to buy and have it stored in your portfolio (they hold it for you) rather than have it delivered immediately. That way you can wait until you have purchased a few before requesting delivery. This does come with some counter-party risk, however, and is something that I know HB and probably many others here would recommend against.  I wouldn't store up too much or let them hold it very long before taking physical delivery, but it is something to consider as a short-term solution - caveat emptor.  Admittedly this is a less satisfying way to get one's feet wet.

The one thing to consider about online purchasing is that the package will naturally require a signature, so you will want to make arrangements to ensure someone is home when the package arrives.
"Machines are gonna fail...and the system's gonna fail"
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Pkg Man wrote: One thing about Bullion Direct is that you have the option to buy and have it stored in your portfolio (they hold it for you) rather than have it delivered immediately. That way you can wait until you have purchased a few before requesting delivery.
Thanks PkgMan. This does sound interesting. Maybe a good way to buy a few coins over a few months, and then have them shipped. Might give that a try. Guess the minimum charge for shipping & handling would then be $9.45 + $5.95 = $15.40 give or take a few dollars, which wouldn't be too bad for say three or four coins...
Last edited by Jan Van on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:51 am

Desert, I was checking out their website (golddealer.com). Looks like you have to call to order? How do you pay them?
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:01 am

What if the price of gold drops 20% by the end of the day and you don't mail your order? Or can you cancel?
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:37 am

jmourik wrote: What if the price of gold drops 20% by the end of the day and you don't mail your order? Or can you cancel?
Normally, if you cancel like this you can't order from that dealer again.  A contract for sale was formed over the phone when they agreed to sell and you agreed to buy at the current price.  If you cancel you are breaching that contract.

I suggest you not do this sort of thing.  Just buy when it's time to buy or when you are setting up your PP in the first place and don't worry about the daily price fluctuations.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:46 am

MediumTex wrote:I suggest you not do this sort of thing.
I wouldn't, that would make me an evil-doer ;D . But it struck me that somebody might.
On the surface this way of doing business feels a bit archaic to me. But then, I guess if I were a gold dealer I wouldn't want to take the 3% or more haircut from using credit cards, or paypal. Though I think BullionDirect lets you use credit cards, but charges 4% if I understand it correctly. And I guess paying with a debit card still incurs a fee. Hmmmm.. what about electronic checks?
Last edited by Jan Van on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.