Did Bitcoin Kill Gold’s Monetary Utility?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Did Bitcoin Kill Gold’s Monetary Utility?

Post by seajay » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:36 am

ppnewbie wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:16 am
IMHO I think your off that that gold is the primary asset in the PP.
Harry devised the PP as a means to diversify his primary gold exposure.
Arthur Boe Nansa

Post by Arthur Boe Nansa » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:40 am

seajay wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:36 am
And more so when someone repeatedly posts content in wrong places. A web site forum dedicated to Chevrolet pickup's, brakes sub-section, repeatedly having someone posting how using ballet shoes instead of conventional shoes because they personally particularly like, or benefit from the promotion of ballet shoes, on the suggestion that the vehicle will tend to go quicker ... will generate heat.
I understand where you're coming from and agree to an extent, but this also reminded me of something I saw not too long ago. There's a Tesla group for vehicle owners. It serves as a haven to glorify their purchased cars and occasionally praise Musk and his companies in general. Recently, someone who considers himself pro-Tesla bought an EV car from another company and joked that it may sway his opinion on a favorite. Some were genuinely interested in his new purchase, asking how it compared to the Tesla and for more details on his thoughts. Very quickly though others got too defensive and said "it was no place to talk about other cars." A moderator stepped in and said "other cars are off topic, I'm locking comments. Was he simply sticking to the rules? Or was he trying to nip interest in alternatives at the bud? Maybe both?

As I said before, I think it would be better if threads and posts that veer too off topic simply get moved back to the VP section. We should be on topic yet flexible. I think BitVP is wrong about a lot of his points, but it's a good check-in for what BTC people think and why. Who knows, even if you don't drink that specific kool-aid it may convince you to look deeper at different cryptocurrencies and what they can offer you...
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by seajay » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:47 am

Arthur Boe Nansa wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:40 am
seajay wrote:
And more so when someone repeatedly posts content in wrong places. A web site forum dedicated to Chevrolet pickup's, brakes sub-section, repeatedly having someone posting how using ballet shoes instead of conventional shoes because they personally particularly like, or benefit from the promotion of ballet shoes, on the suggestion that the vehicle will tend to go quicker ... will generate heat.
I understand where you're coming from and agree to an extent, but this also reminded me of something I saw not too long ago. There's a Tesla group for vehicle owners. It serves as a haven to glorify their purchased cars and occasionally praise Musk and his companies in general. Recently, someone who considers himself pro-Tesla bought an EV car from another company and joked that it may sway his opinion on a favorite. Some were genuinely interested in his new purchase, asking how it compared to the Tesla and for more details on his thoughts. Very quickly though others got too defensive and said "it was no place to talk about other cars." A moderator stepped in and said "other cars are off topic, I'm locking comments. Was he simply sticking to the rules? Or was he trying to nip interest in alternatives at the bud? Maybe both?

As I said before, I think it would be better if threads and posts that veer too off topic simply get moved back to the VP section. We should be on topic yet flexible. I think BitVP is wrong about a lot of his points, but it's a good check-in for what BTC people think and why. Who knows, even if you don't drink that specific kool-aid it may convince you to look deeper at different cryptocurrencies and what they can offer you...
If there was a Tesla section and a "other EV's" section but they posted to the Tesla section then quite rightly those that go to the board to discuss Telsa's objected to threads discussing other material. If the other EV posts continued to bombard in then that would naturally further raise anger levels. Even more so if the other EV poster had set their Avatar to blatantly promote such, and whose posts predominately included intentional promotion. Why? Well every Ponzi system requires each layer to lock in more other greater fools to otherwise avoid being in the last/largest layer that gets caught out.
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:49 am

How about I opine on threads where Bitcoin is specifically brought up by someone else and it is germane to the thread?

Oh, wait...
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:35 pm

"Well every Ponzi system requires each layer to lock in more other greater fools to otherwise avoid being in the last/largest layer that gets caught out."

It's pretty funny. If you are looking for greater fools, you probably don't want your mark to be people in a forum where many are nearing retirement, looking to preserve portfolio gains, happy with consistent four percent real returns, and bury gold in their back yards. I am guessing this is not BTCVP's intention.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:34 pm

I think a large part of the issue is the name and avatar. If the avatar were much anything else, and the name were much anything else, things would be perceived differently.

As it is, everything that "bitcoininthevp" says has an undertone of shilling to it. Probably different people perceive this differently: some just see a name as identifying that person, and other people see it as an obvious and outright shill who has already made up his mind about everything and is trying to convince us all to buy Bitcoin.
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:22 pm

Maybe something more like this for my new profile picture
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:29 am

bitcoininthevp wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:22 pm
Maybe something more like this for my new profile picture
I vote for that one.
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by seajay » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:54 am

ppnewbie wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:29 am
I vote for that one.
A most disrespectful (yet another plug of Btc) placement of virtual coins on the deceased's eyes.

I see that Vincent's request hasn't been respected and in contemplating following his lead wonder what the correct procedure might involve?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:42 am

But seriously, what is up everyone's ass these days?
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:16 am

seajay wrote:
Fundamentally gold is the heart of the PP, the primary asset/holding, where other assets are included only as a means to smooth the interim volatility. Empires and fiat currencies come and go whilst gold endures. It might be acceptable to include discussions of silver as a alternative, but certainly not virtual alternatives, nor ballet shoes.

Harry Browne wrote:The U.S. dollar is the leading money of the world, and gold is its principal challenger. It hasn't always been that way, and it may not always be. Sufficient inflation in the U.S. could dethrone the dollar -- making way for gold or another currency to be king. But, in the late 1980's, we're quite a distance from such an event.
var

Post by var » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:38 pm

As of 3.9.22

i think not Gold is a hedge against uncertainty. It certainly moved up a lot lately.

Thats
said I am holding GLD, BTC, and some oil stocks.