Blockchain Gold

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Blockchain Gold

Post by ppnewbie » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:18 pm

Has anyone looked at Paxos Gold? The token is PAXG.
johnnywitt

Re: Blockchain Gold

Post by johnnywitt » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:47 pm

One of the main points of GOLD ownership is no counter party risk. I feel stupid enough holding regular paper gold ETF's.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:12 am

johnnywitt wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:47 pm
One of the main points of GOLD ownership is no counter party risk. I feel stupid enough holding regular paper gold ETF's.
Same here.
yzninw

Post by yzninw » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:25 pm

There's an old post from 2012 viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2163&hilit=etfs&start=25#p28763 where Craig mentions a risk if internal trading is allowed. There are a number of posts after that discussing various things but a conclusion then seemed to be that there is more protection for ETFs than other vehicles.

I could see this being useful for investors outside the US but with the US being as indebted as it is, isn't there a concern that the US govt would order Paxos, a US company, to turn over their gold?
yzninw

Post by yzninw » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:54 pm

Duplicate thread, not sure if they can be merged:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11501&p=212166&hili ... ss#p212166
thisisallen wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:50 am
I’ve only bought gold ETFs so it is difficult for me to evaluate this. Maybe it would be interesting to the people buying physical?
https://www.paxos.com/paxgold/
I guess it makes sense for physical gold investors because of the ability to redeem it, both US and outside the US, since presumably if one came to the US you could redeem it. But I'm still wondering about protections for this vs. an ETF.
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by seajay » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:39 am

yzninw wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:54 pm
Duplicate thread, not sure if they can be merged:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11501&p=212166&hili ... ss#p212166
thisisallen wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:50 am
I’ve only bought gold ETFs so it is difficult for me to evaluate this. Maybe it would be interesting to the people buying physical?
https://www.paxos.com/paxgold/
I guess it makes sense for physical gold investors because of the ability to redeem it, both US and outside the US, since presumably if one came to the US you could redeem it. But I'm still wondering about protections for this vs. an ETF.
PAXG associated physical gold is vaulted in London, and is only deliverable to vaults within the UK if redeemed.

https://help.paxos.com/hc/en-us/article ... m-PAX-Gold
note that Paxos can have the gold bar securely delivered only to vaults in the UK.
Fine for me as I live in the UK. However in general it can be better to simply liquidate gold at its source location, transfer the sale proceeds and repurchase gold at the target destination rather than transporting physical gold across international borders.