Time to buy more physical gold

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

welderwannabe

Time to buy more physical gold

Post by welderwannabe » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:18 am

Its time for me to buy more physical gold. I usually buy American Eagles, but it seems the spreads on those is absolutely insane. Any reason not to buy maple leafs instead this year, which seem to have a more reasonable spread?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Time to buy more physical gold

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:22 pm

Only their susceptibility to scratches. But, as long as you take care of them…
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:48 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:22 pm
Only their susceptibility to scratches. But, as long as you take care of them…
I hold them for bullion purposes only. Do the scratches matter in that case?

Understood they are 24K and therefore softer, do I need to care?

I held bars before and when I sold, while not terribly difficult, it was a little but more of a process requiring an inspection and all that. When I sold eagles, it was less of a discussion. Are maple leafs similar?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:19 pm

I’ve heard people say they got less money back for scratched maples, and others say no issues at all.
I’ve only bought one maple and I bought it new. For the rest, I go with crown gold or something similar so that I don’t need to think about it.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:22 pm

I have Maple Leafs and Eagles, and TBH I can't tell the difference. My nipples always end up pretty raw. Selling them, I believe you recoup the premium though.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:17 am

Ah yes, maybe it was just the nipples that incurred damage.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:04 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:17 am
Ah yes, maybe it was just the nipples that incurred damage.
And we wonder why we can't lure more Bogleheads to this forum! O0
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:04 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:22 pm
My nipples always end up pretty raw.
Im afraid to ask.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:38 pm

I get a bit sauced up and start thinking about rubbing gold coins on myself. Try doing that with a bitcoin.
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:08 am

Any opinions on where I should buy some physical from? APMEX seems to be far from the cheapest, but thats who ive usually used.
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by seajay » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:41 am

Internationally as one board member might be looking to add gold, another might be looking to reduce. For instance gold in non US dollar countries has risen, in the US its down. There are forums around where members exchange (trade) gold, where often the seller is content with spot price as is the buyer, just postal/insurance costs involved. There are others that act as trusted intermediaries - but that cream of a 1% or so amount for doing so (and that also doubles up on the postal/insurance cost). They typically receive the coin(s) and perform a appraisal, ring-test, weight/size, whatever and if OK they flag to the parties to have the buyer dispatch the money to the seller that once flagged as having been received the intermediary forwards on the coin(s) to the buyer.

For retirees there's less need to trade, a PP can be largely maintained by directing withdrawals from the asset(s) with the highest value at the time, one major initial purchase perhaps with a 5% spread cost to obtain from a reputable dealer one-off cost and then just smaller disposals periodically thereafter. Maybe supplemented with paper-gold (ETF) purchase if a top-up does become strictly necessary.
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:17 pm

seajay wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:41 am
Internationally as one board member might be looking to add gold, another might be looking to reduce. For instance gold in non US dollar countries has risen, in the US its down. There are forums around where members exchange (trade) gold, where often the seller is content with spot price as is the buyer, just postal/insurance costs involved. There are others that act as trusted intermediaries - but that cream of a 1% or so amount for doing so (and that also doubles up on the postal/insurance cost). They typically receive the coin(s) and perform a appraisal, ring-test, weight/size, whatever and if OK they flag to the parties to have the buyer dispatch the money to the seller that once flagged as having been received the intermediary forwards on the coin(s) to the buyer.

For retirees there's less need to trade, a PP can be largely maintained by directing withdrawals from the asset(s) with the highest value at the time, one major initial purchase perhaps with a 5% spread cost to obtain from a reputable dealer one-off cost and then just smaller disposals periodically thereafter. Maybe supplemented with paper-gold (ETF) purchase if a top-up does become strictly necessary.

Thanks, Seajay. I appreciate the suggestion, but I'd like to stick with reputable dealers versus having to worry about getting counterfeit etc.

I already keep a bunch of ETF gold in the form of GLDM, but I like to keep some physical too.

So that all said, anyone have any feedback on the better gold dealers to use? National ones like APMEX, Kitco, Gainesville coins etc? Any im missing?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:39 pm

I’d like to offer help, but I’ve only used AJPM and Apmex. The past few years have been Apmex, so I don’t really have anyone to compare them to. Expensive but reliable. (I never had any issues with AJPM. Just didn’t like ordering by phone).

If memory serves, people here really liked JM Bullion. I never got around to trying them. Inertia/brand loyalty.
snedgar

Post by snedgar » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:30 am

I've had multiple good experiences with California Numismatic Investments (golddealer.com). I have a great deal of trust in them.

Conversely, I have had two experiences with JMBullion where they made annoying sloppy mistakes on orders and their customer service in making correction was unsatisfying. I don't use them anymore.

Steve
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:39 am

Wow, sorry to hear it!
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:11 am

Thanks for both the positive and negative feedback on jmbullion. I'll check them out as well.

As said I've always done apmex but I think they're getting more expensive. They are 1% over spot higher than Gainesville coins even after factoring in Gainesville's shipping costs.

Any feedback on Gainesville? I've never used them.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:53 am

welderwannabe wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:11 am

Thanks for both the positive and negative feedback on jmbullion. I'll check them out as well.

As said I've always done apmex but I think they're getting more expensive. They are 1% over spot higher than Gainesville coins even after factoring in Gainesville's shipping costs.

When I was doing my exhaustive investigation of The Permanent Portfolio, I took extensive "notes" on what I found in this forum regarding various aspects of making the Permanent Portolio investment and then its subsequent management. Here is my section on physical gold vendors:

NOTE: 1. Sorry for the formatting. If you want it in a more readable form, contact me privately and I will send you a PDF.

2. ALL the words below come from what forum participants have said in various posts in various topics i the forum.

NOTES

AJPM
When you are looking to buy more, there are lots of good places that do business by mail. I have personally done business with www.ajpm.com and had good experiences. (I have no connection to them other than being an occasional customer.)
I also use AJPM. Go to their website and watch for their web specials. I've done well with the specials and paid as little as 1% premium over spot.
Also AJPM. They are all business with good prices:
http://www.ajpm.com
AJPM
503-277-4653
BBB A
Shipping free for > 10 oz gold
7 d holding on checks
I've bought from AJPM, Goldmart, and Gainesville coins and the only bad experience I ever had was when it took Goldmart over 6 weeks to ship my order last year. Won't be transacting with them again.
A-Mark Precious Metals
- For the remainder, 1 oz American Eagles are a good choice. In addition to the usual suspects, try A-Mark Precious Metals - that's where Colorado Gold buys its coins, and presumably you can get a better price with them than you could at a retail broker.
APMEX
Received my APMEX order today and am very happy with the way they handled the shipment. Nowhere on the box or label is there any indication of the shipper or what contents may lie inside. This should be an obvious way to do things, but I was still worried that it might say APMEX right on the shipping label.
Apmex has always been good to me as well.
Your best protection against counterfeiting is to always buy from highly reputable dealers. From above I see you ordered from APMEX. They have been in business for a long time and have a stellar reputation. They tend to get a lot of their products directly from the respective mints and last I heard they check everything they acquire from other sources. On a scale of 1-5 I'd say your risk level here is 1. Ditto some of the other well known big dealers like Kitco. My dealings with APMEX have always been completely satisfactory and I have never heard anything untoward about them.
Apmex.com has treated me well and I use them almost exclusively now.
2.95% at APMEX buyback price, or 4.65% above spot bid, using cash/bank wire. 7% at buyback or 9.2% above spot bid using CC/Paypal. You need to be careful because sometimes certain categories have historically low premiums above spot that are a better deal, whether that be foreign bullion or pre-1933. Don't buy blindly; search for value. This is helpful: http://www.goldprice.org/gold-prices/
I have only had good experiences from Apmex. Well, I had trouble selling my bitcoin for gold there and they apologized. "We're still figuring it out, too", they said. The most annoying part was when someone pasted a response to me addressing me in the third person, so I responded to him with a "he" as well. Minor technical point: I was never able to get into my Marc bitcoin wallet anyway! But that's already in the appropriate thread.
Border Gold
2. www.bordergold.com
Bullion Direct
I've been happy with BullionDirect.com.
I think the premiums are a little more than what you might get at a local dealer, and there's also a shipping fee, but it's very convenient.
They'll store your gold for you, which can come in handy if you want to buy a few coins over time before you request delivery.
California Numismatic Investments
I'm going to recommend CNI, California Numismatic Investments, again. I've been buying from them for ten years and have had a great experience. I haven't been able to beat their prices either.
California Numismatic Investments
http://www.golddealer.com/
800-225-7531
BBB A
Free shipping
3 week holding on checks
There have been several threads in the past on this topic, but I'll state again that CNI has been very good.
I can also give a strong recommendation for CNI. I just finished my first gold purchase through the mail from them, and everything worked out well. I wanted Krugerrands, and my local dealer hardly ever has them. I called up CNI, locked in the price, and sent them a personal check. They said the coins would mail out two weeks after they received the check, and that is exactly what happened. The coins arrived in a non-descript, but very well packed, box. I believe shipping is free for purchases over $2k. I was a little put off by having to wait two weeks, but unless you want to pay about $30 for a bank transfer, that's what you have to do. Fortunately, I could watch the value of my coins going up during that two weeks, even though I didn't actually have them in my possession. The price is locked in on the first phone call.
Coin Galleries of Oyster Bay
I know someone who used Coin Galleries Of Oyster Bay. They've been around for 40 years and have multiple branches on Long Island. I have personally never used them but they might be worth a call.
Colorado Gold
I don't know if you have a specific dealer that you use and/or like, but ColoradoGold.com seems to pay more than most when selling to them if you also bought from them. As of today (6/20), they will sell 1 oz. American Eagles for $1,417.76 (if buying less than $25k) and will buy them for $1,377.70. That's a round trip spread of only 2.8%.
Colorado Gold
http://www.coloradogold.com/
888-442-0994
BBB A+
Shipping 1.5% (included in price, click button)
5 d holding on checks
I personally think gold is on sale, but whether I'm right or wrong, I'm buying as part of my regular contribution. Trying out Goldmart for the first time, as they definitely have the best price and I can't argue with free shipping. I used Gainesville coins and Colorado gold in the past, which were both great to deal with. The minimum purchase for Colorado Gold, though, means I won't be using them much unless I get a sudden windfall (most unlikely). I liked Gainesville because you pay a small portion on your credit card, and the 1% cash back covers part of the shipping costs. Just remember to set up the bank wire BEFORE you buy.
I buy physical from Colorado Gold - easy and low cost, but you have to buy at least 7 coins per order.
Dillon Gage
They don't buy or sell, so you have to get your own dealer for buying and selling and pay those fees too. I have a dealer account with Dillon Gage (https://dillongage.com/) but I'm sure there are others you can use.
I think having physical gold coins or ingots stored in a commercial depository with a separation of custodian from administrator is probably the safest. 0.2% a year isn't that much if you consider it also includes record-keeping and other administrative expenses.
But don't you pay this same premium when you buy these coins? I don't see how, between the bid/ask spread and the markup yo can keep a round trip transaction to 1%.
The bid/asked spread IS the markup.
Let me give you an example.
Let's say that gold is at $1000/oz. and the dealer is buying Eagles at $1020 and selling them at $1030.
In that case, the "buy premium" is 2% and the "sell premium" is 3%.
It would cost you $10 (~1%) per coin to buy a coin and sell it back immediately.
Does that help?
Thanks, now I get what you are saying. However, my contention is that in actual practice, those numbers are much further apart.
So lets delve further: Can anyone open an account? Do they store or deliver the gold? If delivered, is there an additional charge? If stored, is there a storage fee? Are there any wrap fees or commissions? 'Private wealth clients' usually are the goal of every commissioned salesman.
Anyone can open an account, but you will need to do a lot of business with them to get this pricing. I don't know the exact amount, but it is probably on the order of 100 ounces (not each transaction, but in total over a reasonably short period of time). They have retail accounts too but I don't know the pricing on those.
As far as I know they don't store gold, but deliver it. However, they are involved with the Texas Bullion Depository project, so storage may be an option at some point.
I've only transacted with them over the counter, but they will ship. They may waive shipping for large orders.
There are no wrap fees or commissions.
After reviewing the fiztrade site, it is not really for retail clients.
So again, I ask how everyone here who wants to can have a round trip cost of 1%, which you implied is possible.
If I implied that everyone can have that, then that was an incorrect implication.
Gainesville Coins
I have been using http://www.gainesvillecoins.com/ and it has been excellent.
Gainesville Coins
http://www.gainesvillecoins.com/
813-482-9300
BBB A+
Bank wires only
Shipping dependent on weight
I personally think gold is on sale, but whether I'm right or wrong, I'm buying as part of my regular contribution. Trying out Goldmart for the first time, as they definitely have the best price and I can't argue with free shipping. I used Gainesville coins and Colorado gold in the past, which were both great to deal with. The minimum purchase for Colorado Gold, though, means I won't be using them much unless I get a sudden windfall (most unlikely). I liked Gainesville because you pay a small portion on your credit card, and the 1% cash back covers part of the shipping costs. Just remember to set up the bank wire BEFORE you buy.
I've bought from AJPM, Goldmart, and Gainesville coins and the only bad experience I ever had was when it took Goldmart over 6 weeks to ship my order last year. Won't be transacting with them again.
I'll probably be buying from Gainesville coins from now on. They have some of the lowest prices but a lot of people think their shipping rates are too high. Doesn't bother me because they are about a 30 minute drive away and I can pick up in person. I place the order on their website and then send them a bankwire through Fidelity (which costs $0) and gets you the lowest price. They send me an email confirming the transaction after they receive the money in their account and then in about a week or so I get a call saying it's ready to pick up.
Global Gold
You might also want to check out "Global Gold", mentioned in the PP book written by the founders of this forum. They have buy/sell spreads of about 4% (for 100g bars) and costs in the neighborhood of 0.5%/year, depending on account size.
They buy physical gold for you and store it in ViaMat vaults. They're not a financial institution, but they are regulated by a Swiss regulatory body for "para-financials".
How about Global Gold? Yes, the expense ration is a bit painful (0.5% for reasonable amounts) but it solves the other problems, other than the obvious one of their turning out to be crooks, which I think is pretty unlikely.
They look interesting - at least at first glance similar to allocated storage at Perth Mint, but significantly cheaper (Perth's allocated storage is 1% per year). Perth Mint has been around longer and is government owned.
Have you considered globalgold? They have good customer service and the people I've dealt with all have excellent English (some native English-speakers) although they are a Swiss company.
Gold Dealer
http://www.golddealer.com/
Good prices, good service. I've bought and sold with them with no problems.
Goldmart
I've been very satisfied with GoldMart's pricing and customer service. Shipping is a bit slow if you buy less than 5k at a time though.
I second goldmart. I'd also say if you have a question to call them, not email or instant message because I never have gotten a response back from them. I'd have to see if it is lower than Tulving but it's been the lowest I could find (other than my local dealer).
+1 for Goldmart. Sent them a check, exactly 7 business days after receiving the check (as promised) they shipped my order by USPS (it was priority or express mail, I don't recall which one). I got an e-mail with the tracking number. Packaging was pretty g
Goldmart prices are quite competitive. I also like the reasonable check clearing period - 7 business days. Free shipping on orders of $7500+. I'm sure Goldmart's relocation from California to more business-friendly Nevada helped to keep the prices low.
It looks like the Gainsville prices are identical to GoldMart but cheaper shipping. So, I will try my next purchase at GoldMart.
Goldmart and Tulving are the two cheapest dealers anywhere. Texas Precious Metals is pretty good too. I've used all three and have no complaints though I probably give the nod to Goldmart since they don't have a minimum purchase requirement like Tulving.
Goldmart
http://www.goldmart.com/
800-470-0170
BBB A-
Free shipping >15k
7 d holding on checks
Goldmart was kinda slow with my last purchase there (nearly 3 weeks) so I tried Provident a month ago. Bought three times now from them and got 3 day turnaround each time. BTW they were selling Eagles for $39 over spot and Maples at 24 over spot at the time. Now eagles are going for $44 and Maples for $29 so those are still pretty good prices.
Goldstar Trust Co.
half of that in a Roth IRA with Goldstar Trust Co; the bullion is with Delaware Depository
I use GoldStar Trust (https://www.goldstartrust.com). They have fees of 10 basis points for storage and another 10 basis points for account administration, with the latter capped at $275.
The only reason I'm thinking about trying JM Bullion is that, like Apmex, I can order online instead of on the phone and, unlike Apmex, I can have my order shipped via UPS. The post office ignored my paid sig request on a fountain pen, leaving it on my front step, so they can f__ right off as Ricky from Trailer Park Boys would say. Our UPS man is reliable.
JS Mine Set
https://www.jsmineset.com/2013/11/23/ji ... nge-sgpmx/
Kitco
Your best protection against counterfeiting is to always buy from highly reputable dealers. From above I see you ordered from APMEX. They have been in business for a long time and have a stellar reputation. They tend to get a lot of their products directly from the respective mints and last I heard they check everything they acquire from other sources. On a scale of 1-5 I'd say your risk level here is 1. Ditto some of the other well known big dealers like Kitco. My dealings with APMEX have always been completely satisfactory and I have never heard anything untoward about them.
I put in an order with Kitco on Monday and wired $ the same day. Coins were shipped Tuesday and arrived via UPS on Wednesday even though I didn't pay for expedited shipping. Ten coins at $1,312 each. Insurance was $52.48 & the wire fee was $30. Price above spot was $21 per coin. All included my price above spot was just under 2.2%. Pretty damn easy and the coins are all 2016 Eagles in great shape.
This is one of the "special offers" on their site for which - at least this is my understanding - one cannot specify a year on the coins.
I have to say I am pleasantly surprised (and that my wife is a little freaked out that I bought gold online). Open package, fondle, make note to dig a hole in the back yard when the ground thaws.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:54 am

welderwannabe wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:11 am

Here is part II of my "Notes". I was not allowed to put all in the prior post:

Northwest Territorial Mint
I have used Northwest Territorial Mint - nwmt.com - in the past. They have eagles, krugs, maple leafs, plus other gold coins, both bullion and coins. If you have a smaller amount of money, you can even purchase a 1/20th oz of gold chinese panda or even smaller gold bars measured in grams. I pass this info on to you as a person who has made several gold and silver eagle purchases with them in the past. Service has always been excellent. I do not know how their prices compare to other dealers in terms of mark-ups, prices over spot, etc.
Provident
Good list. May want to add Texas Precious Metals and Provident to your list.
Goldmart was kinda slow with my last purchase there (nearly 3 weeks) so I tried Provident a month ago. Bought three times now from them and got 3 day turnaround each time. BTW they were selling Eagles for $39 over spot and Maples at 24 over spot at the time. Now eagles are going for $44 and Maples for $29 so those are still pretty good prices.
Before I lost all of my precious metals in a horrible boating accident, I used to order them from ProvidentMetals.com and had nothing but a good experience with them. They ship most quickly if you order via electronic check (echeck).
Sansom Coin Exchange
Philly - I've bought from Sansom Coin Exchange more than once before switching to just using big outfits and the mail. Ask for Malcolm. Really nice and funny guy, but also very serious about business, very professional. I haven't been there in a long time, but I called not too long ago and he was still there.
SGPMX
SGPMX may be an option.
Have used them with no issues
http://www.sgpmx.com
Silver Gold Bull
For physical (40% of my gold allocation) I order from silvergoldbull.ca. Free, fast shipping; usually the lowest premiums I can find. Online dealers are pretty much the only way to go, IMO -- brick and mortar dealers just can't compete.
3. www.silvergoldbull.com
For physical (40% of my gold allocation) I order from silvergoldbull.ca. Free, fast shipping; usually the lowest premiums I can find. Online dealers are pretty much the only way to go, IMO -- brick and mortar dealers just can't compete.
Texas Precious Metals
We have made about 10 purchases of Eagles and Krugs from Texas Precious Metals in Shiner, Texas. I have got to say, they are the best prices I've found and based on my phone conversations with them, I feel they are very trustworthy. They have delivered EXACTLY as promised.
Texas Precious Metals is totally trustworthy. I have bought from them for a couple of years, they even took back a slightly dinged Maple Leaf and gave me a fresher one, and they paid round-trip insured shipping.
Goldmart and Tulving are the two cheapest dealers anywhere. Texas Precious Metals is pretty good too. I've used all three and have no complaints though I probably give the nod to Goldmart since they don't have a minimum purchase requirement like Tulving.
Good list. May want to add Texas Precious Metals and Provident to your list.
Texas Precious Metals no longer has good prices. I don't know what happened but I won't buy from there now.
The CREDIT CARD prices are in the left-most column. They are much higher than CASH / CHECK / WIRE prices. I was comparing Tex CC prices vs. everyone else's cash prices. Silly me. I suggested they make the CC prices the right column, not the left. People read left-to-right.
Tulving
Experiences? This question has come up regularly, but I thought it would be worth reviewing again. I have found Tulving's prices consistently the lowest, so I thought I would try. Shipping occurred 8 weeks after order, and there seem to be lots of complaints about this online (http://golddealerreviews.com/reviews/go ... /3-tulving). So, next time I will look elsewhere.
Update: It looks like Tulving has lower premiums for something like an American Gold Eagle, you just have to pay so much to meet the minimums versus goldmart you could just get one coin at a decent price.
Tulving
http://tulving.com/
800-995-1708
BBB A+
Min order gold 20oz
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:35 pm

Thanks a bunch, this is helpful. I'll pour myself a drink later and review. Appreciate it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:19 pm

uh, some of that may be out of date. I think Tulving had some legal problems, for example. Big ones. I remember writing to him about placing an order and receiving a bitchy response that I should have telephoned. Then why post your email address? Well, he was probably up to his neck in trouble by then.

That’s the thing about reviews. They have an expiration date. AJPM treated me fine, but they had completely different owners after CraigR* had sung their praises. Not his fault at all, obviously, but it was a very different experience than what I had expected.

Stick with fresh reviews if you can, Welder. (No offense, Vinny. You’ve put some diligent work into this, and much of it may still be accurate).

*Craig Rowland, co-author of the Permanent Portfolio book along with JM Lawson, aka MediumTex on this forum.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:23 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:19 pm

uh, some of that may be out of date. I think Tulving had some legal problems, for example. Big ones. I remember writing to him about placing an order and receiving a bitchy response that I should have telephoned. Then why post your email address? Well, he was probably up to his neck in trouble by then.

That’s the thing about reviews. They have an expiration date. AJPM treated me fine, but they had completely different owners after CraigR* had sung their praises. Not his fault at all, obviously, but it was a very different experience than what I had expected.

Stick with fresh reviews if you can, Welder. (No offense, Vinny. You’ve put some diligent work into this, and much of it may still be accurate).

*Craig Rowland, co-author of the Permanent Portfolio book along with JM Lawson, aka MediumTex on this forum.

If this had been presented to me I'd zero in some of interest and then do my own updated search for more current information on them. Of course, this forum would be the first place I'd start and consider it to have the most creditable information.

By the way I did not include it in what I put above but in my Excel worksheet I do have the source for every word in it - who made it and on what date.
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:10 am

Understood dualstow. Vinny's info is helpful at a minimum just giving me some more names to research.

Ihad a negative experience with AJPM about 10 years ago. Nothing major, but my delivery took almost 2 months to get to me and they were unable to provide any updates. In fairness to them, the gold was shipped registered from a depository directly to me, so they didn't have much visibility themselves, but it wasn't the customer experience I desired. APMEX has always been great, never had an issue. They are just big bucks.

Im really leaning towards gainesville coins this time. Any recent experiences or opinions pro or con?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:17 am

The last place I bought from was bgasc.com, which was totally fine. It looks like boldpreciousmetals.com has a little sale going on Krugerrands right now with a few left (their Maple Leafs are cheaper than bgasc if you are set on those).
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:51 am

welderwannabe wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:10 am
I had a negative experience with AJPM about 10 years ago. Nothing major, but my delivery took almost 2 months to get to me and they were unable to provide any updates. In fairness to them, the gold was shipped registered from a depository directly to me, so they didn't have much visibility themselves, but it wasn't the customer experience I desired. APMEX has always been great, never had an issue. They are just big bucks.
Damn, if I had to wait two months with no updates, I would consider that a major issue. Most of the physical gold I bought was from Kitco back in 2018. I was lucky that the markup was very small at the time. My recollection is that it always took about three days for delivery (I spread it out over 4-5 purchases). Always came in a larger cardboard box with a bunch of padding and the coins in the middle of the box. I think about this kind of stuff as I don't want the delivery guy to think a tiny package feels really heavy. Also nothing on the box to indicate that precious metals might be inside.

It was quite a leap of faith for me to order by mail but my local place always had a higher markup.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:39 am

Yeah, Apmex always uses a larger box and the packaging is pretty non-descript. Hopefully, the mailman just assumes it’s sex toys.