Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Another Gold ETF post

Post by ppnewbie » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:11 am

Tyler wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:11 pm
Kbg wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:53 pm
Agree with the general feeling on a Chinese holding company. However, I think the location, local laws in effect and the auditing/auditor is probably more important. If the vault is in the US or UK with a western auditing firm I'm not that concerned.

Move the vault to Bejing, use a non-western European or US auditor...I'd be out in a nano-second.
IMO that's a very reasonable take.

And for the record, I personally hold GLDM. I'm not 100% comfortable with the custodian, but to be honest I'm not 100% comfortable with ANY counterparty these days regardless of their country of origin (for example, BlackRock is no saint just because they're American). So I'll keep an eye on them just like I do all my holdings.
That’s exactly how I feel. I think IAU’s custodian is JP Morgan and I’m still nervous that the gold could disappear MF Global style or the rules suddenly change if gold sky rockets in an financial meltdown. IE We will pay you yesterdays value in cash and we keep the gold.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:35 am

Florida real estate has strong legal protections, and you can live in it. + No country/state seems more libertarian at the moment.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:55 am

boglerdude wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:35 am

Florida real estate has strong legal protections, and you can live in it. + No country/state seems more libertarian at the moment.

However, when as part of the job I had at the time I had to dispose of two Florida properties that the business had ended up owning.

I was quite surprised to find out that lawyers are traditionally NOT involved in real estate transactions. In Massachusetts their involvement is a given.

What ended up happening was that for the first property there was somehow an opposing lawyer involved in an adversarial way. But he impressed me so much that I ended up hiring him to assist in disposing of the second property.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:56 pm

FWIW, since I started this thread I figured I would share that I have started moving my holdings to SGOL. As tax loss harvesting opportunities pop up, im selling GLDM and moving. I like the current geo diversity of SGOL and hope it stays that way around.

While my analysis declared IAUM the winner, that was based on what I consider to be facts and data. As we all know emotions play into investing, and I'm just personally not a blackrock fan and feel better about the gold being spread out over 2 countries.
Last edited by welderwannabe on Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:46 pm

Thanks for the up to date review of gold ETFs.

I chose SGOL because of its holdings are diversified outside the US in Zurich and London.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"