Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I Thought Gold Would Fare Better in 2022-23

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:15 pm I will need to do some modelling work
How did this thread drift into fashion? ???
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

dualstow wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:37 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:15 pm I will need to do some modelling work
How did this thread drift into fashion? ???
Easily! 8)
Attachments
Men-s-Spring-Casual-Slim-Fit-Shirts-Cash-Money-Printed-Long-Sleeve-Button-Shirt-Top-Blouse-649471500.jpeg
Men-s-Spring-Casual-Slim-Fit-Shirts-Cash-Money-Printed-Long-Sleeve-Button-Shirt-Top-Blouse-649471500.jpeg (279.54 KiB) Viewed 14736 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

ahahahahahah! 😂
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp »

seajay wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:58 am you can for instance program a transaction to either be accepted or rejected subject to other criteria.
Bitcoin has smart contracts. In fact each Bitcoin transaction is a series of contracts.
seajay wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:58 am Ethereum is also already becoming the accepted 'regulated' (official) network.
No need for Ethereum or a blockchain if you're going for regulated networks. Just some feds running a central database will do.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

bitcoininthevp wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:48 pm
seajay wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:58 am you can for instance program a transaction to either be accepted or rejected subject to other criteria.
Bitcoin has smart contracts. In fact each Bitcoin transaction is a series of contracts.
seajay wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:58 am Ethereum is also already becoming the accepted 'regulated' (official) network.
No need for Ethereum or a blockchain if you're going for regulated networks. Just some feds running a central database will do.

Etherium has smart contracts too, in fact that was a big point during the NFT craze: that the creator of the work could be paid a percentage each time the work was involved in a transaction. However, a bunch of marketplaces recently decided they would no longer pay that royalty fee. Turns out that built-in smart contract actually doesn't mean anything.
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp »

Xan wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:53 pm Etherium has smart contracts too, in fact that was a big point during the NFT craze: that the creator of the work could be paid a percentage each time the work was involved in a transaction. However, a bunch of marketplaces recently decided they would no longer pay that royalty fee. Turns out that built-in smart contract actually doesn't mean anything.
Much of "crypto" is decentralized theater.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

Gold has a 10 year CAGR of 3.46 percent. It feels like a super tanker moving very slowly (reflecting an inflationary environment).
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

gold is a competitor to the dollar ..at 3.46% the last 10 years it out performed cash instruments
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

I realize now that all of the conventional inflation narratives around gold are BS. "Gold responds to inflation" - August 2020 until now really disproves that.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

ochotona wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:56 am
I realize now that all of the conventional inflation narratives around gold are BS. "Gold responds to inflation" - August 2020 until now really disproves that.

William Bernstein told us that 10 years ago!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/phildemuth ... f5f18765b3

Inflation

Here is one of Bernstein's most interesting contributions. First of all, a serious inflation shock is the most probable big risk we face. Second, everything you know about how to cope with it is wrong.

Gold, it turns out, is no great inflation hedge. In serious inflations, it behaves like any real asset -- keeping pace with CPI but little more (which also means you need a lot of it to do you any good). Commodity producers, it turns out, have worked better. The cheapest solution is to hold an internationally diversified stock portfolio, so that rampant inflation in the U.S. can be offset by more stable returns from foreign stocks. A long-term, fixed rate mortgage tied to a house not purchased in a bubble will also offer an offset. Finally, there are inflation-protected bonds for those who want them.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

How about US domestic stocks. I thought in a general inflationary environment they go up as well. That seems to me to be the easiest inflation hedge. And gold seems to be a long term inflation hedge and maybe a chaos hedge.
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog »

My experience with holding gold is that, in the short term, it's a noncorrelated asset (meaning its not correlated with anything, including current affairs or inflation) and that it tends to move in cycles/trends that are evident over maybe a decade. Long term, it mirrors inflation -- more precisely, currency devaluation, but that's a messy thing that's not easy to quantify short-term. As such, gold's a useful asset for portfolios that rebalance with a frequency of less than a decade but more than annually, maybe every three to five years, such as the PP with rebalance bands.

My gut feeling is that gold has reached a new support level and that we won't be going below, say, $1600 again. But who knows?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Since July 31, 2021, gold is -2% and TLT is -47%. That's a really good argument for having gold. And now, gold is starting to buck the ten year real yield. There is scant argument to be made for a 90 y.o. person to hold stocks, but in addition to bonds I bought GLDM for my Mom, and looking back, I am soooo glad I did. The gold and cash have held the roof up.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Yes, Ocho.
Gold is definitely rising in a monkey’s paw, this-is-not-how-I-wanted-my-wish-granted way.