Gold "Bubble"

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Gold "Bubble"

Post by craigr » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:41 am

There’s much discussion in the news about Gold’s new price high (about $1300). The word “bubble”? is getting tossed around a lot. There are a flood of articles (and advertisements) about buying gold and an equal flood about selling gold. What to do?

Talks about gold seem to devolve into market timing arguments. But for someone holding gold as part of their total asset allocation, such as the Permanent Portfolio, it should be treated like stocks or bonds with no market timing involved.

The only reason to be timing the market with gold is if you are treating it as a speculation. In this case it’s no different than relying on various indicators to sell out of all your stocks or sell out of all your bonds, etc. So use what you feel is best because they are all equally unreliable as market timing doesn’t work.

I can recall seeing these gold conversations when it hit $600 an ounce. I recall them when it hit $850 an ounce (matching the high in 1981). I can recall them when it hit $1000 an ounce. I can recall them when it hit $1100 an ounce. And of course I am seeing them all over as gold hovers near $1300 an ounce. The price of gold could fall at any time, but then again it could just keep going up responding to world events. We have no way of knowing these things.

If you own gold in your portfolio already then be sure you keep it rebalanced and use the profits to buy your laggards. If you don’t own it already, be sure you are doing so with a logical plan in place why you are doing it and not some knee jerk reaction to what you are seeing in the news.