Gold dealers?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Gold dealers?

Post by BearBones » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:49 am

Experiences? This question has come up regularly, but I thought it would be worth reviewing again. I have found Tulving's prices consistently the lowest, so I thought I would try. Shipping occurred 8 weeks after order, and there seem to be lots of complaints about this online (http://golddealerreviews.com/reviews/go ... /3-tulving). So, next time I will look elsewhere.
6 Iron
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Gold dealers?

Post by 6 Iron » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:30 am

I wonder, what has happened with Tulving?  I have always been satisfied with prior orders. I have seen complaints in the past, but delayed, uncertain delivery is a problem that I would pay a little more to avoid.
Peak2Trough

Post by Peak2Trough » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks for the review site, BearBones.  I hadn't seen that before, and I'm researching online metals dealers at the moment so it's very timely!

Not to hijack a thread, but I can't find the answer to a seemingly simple question: 

Does a US resident pay sales tax when buying gold from an online dealer?
Last edited by Peak2Trough on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:33 pm

I've been very satisfied with GoldMart's pricing and customer service. Shipping is a bit slow if you buy less than 5k at a time though.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Pointedstick wrote: I've been very satisfied with GoldMart's pricing and customer service. Shipping is a bit slow if you buy less than 5k at a time though.
I second goldmart. I'd also say if you have a question to call them, not email or instant message because I never have gotten a response back from them. I'd have to see if it is lower than Tulving but it's been the lowest I could find (other than my local dealer).

Update: It looks like Tulving has lower premiums for something like an American Gold Eagle, you just have to pay so much to meet the minimums versus goldmart you could just get one coin at a decent price.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:58 pm

+1 for Goldmart. Sent them a check, exactly 7 business days after receiving the check (as promised) they shipped my order by USPS (it was priority or express mail, I don't recall which one). I got an e-mail with the tracking number. Packaging was pretty good and of course there was no actual company name on the box.  ;)

Goldmart prices are quite competitive. I also like the reasonable check clearing period - 7 business days. Free shipping on orders of $7500+. I'm sure Goldmart's relocation from California to more business-friendly Nevada helped to keep the prices low.
Last edited by foglifter on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
Bean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Bean » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:02 pm

I have been using http://www.gainesvillecoins.com/ and it has been excellent.

It  looks like the Gainsville prices are identical to GoldMart but cheaper shipping.  So, I will try my next purchase at GoldMart.
“Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business and a third let him keep by him in reserve.� ~Talmud
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Peak2Trough wrote: Thanks for the review site, BearBones.  I hadn't seen that before, and I'm researching online metals dealers at the moment so it's very timely!

Not to hijack a thread, but I can't find the answer to a seemingly simple question: 

Does a US resident pay sales tax when buying gold from an online dealer?
It would depend on your state's sales tax rules.

Every state's sales tax regime is a little different.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:14 pm

You would only pay sales tax to an online gold dealer under both of the following conditions:

1. You live in a state that taxes gold sales
2. The online store you purchase the gold from has a physical presence in your state

If either of these conditions are false, you shouldn't pay any sales tax on your online gold purchase.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:50 pm

That's strange on the OP's link to the gold dealer reviews for Tulving.  Either great or terrible, nothing in between.  I bought from him a couple of years ago and had great service.  Sad, because his prices are great and I was going to buy again after first of year.  Any other good dealers other than the ones that have been mentioned.

Med Tex:  How does Texas fall out in regards to taxes on local purchases?
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:37 pm

glock19 wrote: That's strange on the OP's link to the gold dealer reviews for Tulving.  Either great or terrible, nothing in between.  I bought from him a couple of years ago and had great service.  Sad, because his prices are great and I was going to buy again after first of year.  Any other good dealers other than the ones that have been mentioned.
AJPM is good.
Med Tex:  How does Texas fall out in regards to taxes on local purchases?
If you buy in a physical shop they will collect sales tax on bullion purchases of $1,000 or less.  No sales tax on purchases over $1,000.

If you buy from an out of state dealer I think that the State of Texas would want you to self-report any sales subject to state "use" tax (i.e., purchases under $1,000) and remit the applicable use tax to the comptroller.

More info here.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
StdDeviant

Post by StdDeviant » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:19 pm

6 Iron wrote:I wonder, what has happened with Tulving?  I have always been satisfied with prior orders. I have seen complaints in the past, but delayed, uncertain delivery is a problem that I would pay a little more to avoid.
http://golddealerreviews.com/tulving

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THE CLOSURE OF THE TULVING COMPANY

The Tulving Company filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection on March 11, 2014.

Although the website is still working, legally the company cannot buy or sell bullion and is effectively closed as of March 3, 2014.

More information on the status of the company and the proceedings can be found here: http://about.ag/tulving.htm
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:40 pm

StdDeviant wrote:
6 Iron wrote:I wonder, what has happened with Tulving?  I have always been satisfied with prior orders. I have seen complaints in the past, but delayed, uncertain delivery is a problem that I would pay a little more to avoid.
http://golddealerreviews.com/tulving

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THE CLOSURE OF THE TULVING COMPANY

The Tulving Company filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection on March 11, 2014.

Although the website is still working, legally the company cannot buy or sell bullion and is effectively closed as of March 3, 2014.

More information on the status of the company and the proceedings can be found here: http://about.ag/tulving.htm
I'm happy that I never dealt with him, after reading the complaints about him all over the web.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:14 pm
You would only pay sales tax to an online gold dealer under both of the following conditions:

2. The online store you purchase the gold from has a physical presence in your state

If either of these conditions are false, you shouldn't pay any sales tax on your online gold purchase.
Anyone here had to pay sales taxes due to meeting both of the above two conditions?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:18 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:51 pm
Pointedstick wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Anyone here had to pay sales taxes due to meeting both of the above two conditions?

Vinny
Not I. Many states don't tax it anyway. Here's a map: https://www.texasbulliondepository.gov/ ... x-in-texas