Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Where do you store your gold?

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:29 pm

MediumTex wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:26 am
I think that whatever approach one takes to storage, it makes sense to have diversity among storage methods and multiple layers of security around each method of storage.  This isn't as hard to do as it may sound.

A person who owns a little PRPFX, GLD, coins in a safe deposit box, coins in a coffee can in a storage locker, and several large gold fillings in his mouth is basically following this approach.
Another gem from MediumTex all in just two short paragraphs!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Where do you store your gold?

Post by Hal » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:05 am

Pkg Man wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:58 pm
MediumTex wrote:
Clive wrote:So readily to hand when the 2012 solar flares hit and knocks out the worlds electrical supply (and sanitation etc. systems that are electrical/electronic driven/controlled) for a few years.

Apparently back in 1859 when the last major solar ejection hit compasses span around wildly and the relatively new telegraphy system became totally useless.  I've also heard that the major storms generally hit once every hundred years or so and as such we're well overdue.

Would be interesting - to say the least - as to what effect the loss of electricity/electronics for a couple of years or more might have on the current digital world.  I guess that even transport (cars etc.) would be a no-go.
The whole "solar flares knocking out electronic devices" scenario is interesting (and frightening).  One of the more interesting aspects of it is the fact that modern technological infrastructure does not lend itself to incremental regresssion in complexity.  What I mean by that is that if my computer goes down I can't necessarily just bust out my manual typewriter and continue working--all of the documents I would need to access may also be stored electronically.

As a general matter, I think that rapid improvements in technology can create a certain "brittleness" to systems that is not apparent until a large system failure occurs following an unanticipated shock (pardon the pun) from something like a solar storm.
Hence, my signature line.
Thanks for pulling out that bit of history Vinny,

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... rm_of_1859