Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Poll runs till Wed Jun 19, 2058 10:05 am

0-19%
41
58%
20-39%
2
3%
40-59%
10
14%
60-79%
4
6%
80-100%
14
20%
 
Total votes: 71
User avatar
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 am

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Hal » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:07 am

100% Physical for me. Some overseas, rest in local depositories. "NONE" at home, only few silver coins in case of emergency.

Now the wisdom of HB's advice about keeping some assets overseas has become apparent. Australia shut its border, even to its own citizens, for months and still hasn't allowed everyone to return. How would well would you survive if you went on international holidays then found yourself locked out for six months? :o
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3302
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:21 am

I still had some ETF back when I answered this poll. I only have bullion now.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3302
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:25 am

Hal wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:07 am
Now the wisdom of HB's advice about keeping some assets overseas has become apparent. Australia shut its border, even to its own citizens, for months and still hasn't allowed everyone to return. How would well would you survive if you went on international holidays then found yourself locked out for six months? :o
How many Aussies are they not allowing in? The government website says they can come back, but they have to quarantine for 14 days.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11242
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:34 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:21 am
I still had some ETF back when I answered this poll. I only have bullion now.
Same. 100% bullion coins: eagles, krugerrands, philharmonics, leaves( O0 ), and a britannia.
EDIT: and Australian kangaroos/nuggets
“As a white person of colour, I am extremely concerned about the rise of black whiteness.” — Titania McGrath
pariah — 1610s member of a low caste in S. India; Tamil (Dravidian) “drummer”, as members of the lowest caste played drums at festivals. “social outcast,” 1819.
User avatar
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 am

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Hal » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:01 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:25 am
How many Aussies are they not allowing in? The government website says they can come back, but they have to quarantine for 14 days.
Ah, yes. but how many quarantine places are there ;)

This is a Federal government decision not to make the additional quarantine places available. The reason it isn’t doing more is obvious. It wants to force the states to make more flexible quarantine options available so that it can commence permitting students and possibly tourists back in, and it cannot do that without State agreement. It also hasn’t approached the States to ask about their scope to take back returning Australian residents from that State for quarantine. A state being asked to consider expanding quarantine for tourists or students may well give one answer, and a completely different answer when asked to arrange accommodation for some of its own returning residents with relatives in the State. The Federal Government doesn’t want to hear that the States will do something for their returning residents, that they don’t want to do for foreign students and possibly tourists. The Federal Government, and Prime Minister Scott Morrison, is holding offshore Australians to ransom.

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/1 ... d-aussies/

Highly recommend everyone hold some assets offshore in case of an emergency as HB suggested.
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2051
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:24 pm

I basically have two portfolios:

1. PP consisting of all ETFs
2. Cash + physical gold of varying percentages

As far as I'm concerned the cash and physical gold create a hedged position. Paper and metal are a nice offsetting combination. I selected 0 - 19% as that seems to be most representative to me. However, my PP allocation itself is 100% ETFs. I consider the cash and bullion to be a separate portfolio entirely. I don't ever plan on rebalancing out of physical.
“On balance, the financial system subtracts value from society.”
― John C. Bogle
User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3483
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Most of my gold is in IAU. I do have a small percentage that's physical along with modest pile of silver that I bought speculatively a couple of years ago.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2051
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:40 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:38 pm
Most of my gold is in IAU. I do have a small percentage that's physical along with modest pile of silver that I bought speculatively a couple of years ago.
Good stuff. I do think that silver is more "useful" in physical form than digital form. Since silver is less valuable it would theoretically be better for everyday barter in a SHTF scenario than gold. But in the ETF space there's less reason to have any preference for it.
“On balance, the financial system subtracts value from society.”
― John C. Bogle
User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3483
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:46 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:40 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:38 pm
Most of my gold is in IAU. I do have a small percentage that's physical along with modest pile of silver that I bought speculatively a couple of years ago.
Good stuff. I do think that silver is more "useful" in physical form than digital form. Since silver is less valuable it would theoretically be better for everyday barter in a SHTF scenario than gold. But in the ETF space there's less reason to have any preference for it.

The argument for using SLV over physical silver is liquidity, logistics, and storage. I have a fair pile and had to rent a much larger safe deposit box for it. If I get anymore, I think I would opt for SLV for the sake of convenience.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2051
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:49 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:46 pm

The argument for using SLV over physical silver is liquidity, logistics, and storage. I have a fair pile and had to rent a much larger safe deposit box for it. If I get anymore, I think I would opt for SLV for the sake of convenience.
I meant preference for SLV over GLD, not SLV over physical silver. However, your point is well taken.
“On balance, the financial system subtracts value from society.”
― John C. Bogle
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Lonestar » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:45 pm

For new money into gold, right now I'm not sure ETF's might make more sense considering the high markup over spot price that most dealers are charging for bullion. Lock in gains (or losses) with ETF's then convert to bullion when markups come down..............assuming they ever will.
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3205
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Xan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:32 pm

Lonestar wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:45 pm
For new money into gold, right now I'm not sure ETF's might make more sense considering the high markup over spot price that most dealers are charging for bullion. Lock in gains (or losses) with ETF's then convert to bullion when markups come down..............assuming they ever will.
Such a conversion has issues with taxability.
Post Reply