Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Poll runs till Wed Jun 19, 2058 10:05 am

0-19%
40
57%
20-39%
2
3%
40-59%
10
14%
60-79%
4
6%
80-100%
14
20%
 
Total votes: 70
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 am

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by SomeDude » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:49 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:32 pm
Lonestar wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:45 pm
For new money into gold, right now I'm not sure ETF's might make more sense considering the high markup over spot price that most dealers are charging for bullion. Lock in gains (or losses) with ETF's then convert to bullion when markups come down..............assuming they ever will.
Such a conversion has issues with taxability.
All the more reason to get your taxable money into real Gold as quickly as possible. You can always lose the gold in an unfortunate boating accident or accidentally forget to record your sale of it on your taxes.

Hard to do that with an ETF.
User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3483
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Ad Orientem » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:51 pm

Tread carefully friend. The IRS is not known for their sense of humor.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 am

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by SomeDude » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:49 am

Ad Orientem wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:51 pm
Tread carefully friend. The IRS is not known for their sense of humor.
Ohhh yes AdO of course i was kidding.

All kidding aside, having a bunch of gold coins hidden at the time of marriage is better than a prenup. Bonus points if you can quietly accumulate and hide them during marriage too so you can pay for life after marriage (if she leaves you). >:D

The communists have been proposing a wealth tax for some time. Of course you should happily pay it as a social duty to your fellow man but......if you are an antisocial deplorable, gold coins will be hard for them to tax if they're hidden at home.

So many advantages to physical gold at home or maybe some abroad (I can't think of many safe places though). The liquidity and miniscule lower spreads of paper bets are overrated advantages I think. Precisely when you actually need the gold you're almost certain to not be able to obtain it.

Get physical guys. Start with 1 small coin. Buy it for yourself for xmas.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4246
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by pugchief » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:28 am

SomeDude wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:49 am

All kidding aside, having a bunch of gold coins hidden at the time of marriage is better than a prenup. Bonus points if you can quietly accumulate and hide them during marriage too so you can pay for life after marriage (if when she leaves you). >:D
Fixed that for you. This is such good advice for younger unmarried guys, I can't agree enough. Ask me how I know....
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 am

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by SomeDude » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:58 am

pugchief wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:28 am
SomeDude wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:49 am

All kidding aside, having a bunch of gold coins hidden at the time of marriage is better than a prenup. Bonus points if you can quietly accumulate and hide them during marriage too so you can pay for life after marriage (if when she leaves you). >:D
Fixed that for you. This is such good advice for younger unmarried guys, I can't agree enough. Ask me how I know....
How do you know? I'd go so far as to say if you're not married but think you might someday.....participate in your 401k match and put ALL rest in gold coins and NEVER reveal it until you retire, if then. You could just quietly sell one every month and tell her the money is coming from some great investments you were smart enough to make.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4246
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by pugchief » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:02 am

SomeDude wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:58 am
pugchief wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:28 am
SomeDude wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:49 am

All kidding aside, having a bunch of gold coins hidden at the time of marriage is better than a prenup. Bonus points if you can quietly accumulate and hide them during marriage too so you can pay for life after marriage (if when she leaves you). >:D
Fixed that for you. This is such good advice for younger unmarried guys, I can't agree enough. Ask me how I know....
How do you know? I'd go so far as to say if you're not married but think you might someday.....participate in your 401k match and put ALL rest in gold coins and NEVER reveal it until you retire, if then. You could just quietly sell one every month and tell her the money is coming from some great investments you were smart enough to make.
This has been discussed here before, but let me put it to you this way:
If you knew that a certain investment opportunity had only a 30% chance of profitability and if it didn't pan out you would lose at least half of your original investment plus create all kinds of collateral damage, would you invest your life savings in that even if the profit was potentially great? As PPers, that type of investment doesn't fit with our philosophy, yet that's essentially what men do when they enter into a legal contract with another person and the government, called marriage.

And I know because I have had the displeasure of personally dealing with this about a decade ago.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5995
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:28 am

pugchief wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:02 am
SomeDude wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:58 am
pugchief wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:28 am
SomeDude wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:49 am

All kidding aside, having a bunch of gold coins hidden at the time of marriage is better than a prenup. Bonus points if you can quietly accumulate and hide them during marriage too so you can pay for life after marriage (if when she leaves you). >:D
Fixed that for you. This is such good advice for younger unmarried guys, I can't agree enough. Ask me how I know....
How do you know? I'd go so far as to say if you're not married but think you might someday.....participate in your 401k match and put ALL rest in gold coins and NEVER reveal it until you retire, if then. You could just quietly sell one every month and tell her the money is coming from some great investments you were smart enough to make.
This has been discussed here before, but let me put it to you this way:
If you knew that a certain investment opportunity had only a 30% chance of profitability and if it didn't pan out you would lose at least half of your original investment plus create all kinds of collateral damage, would you invest your life savings in that even if the profit was potentially great? As PPers, that type of investment doesn't fit with our philosophy, yet that's essentially what men do when they enter into a legal contract with another person and the government, called marriage.

And I know because I have had the displeasure of personally dealing with this about a decade ago.
Me too, although it was 25 years ago.
My current marriage is one of the relatively rare winners.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2653
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:53 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:28 am
pugchief wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:02 am
SomeDude wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:58 am
pugchief wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:28 am
SomeDude wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:49 am

All kidding aside, having a bunch of gold coins hidden at the time of marriage is better than a prenup. Bonus points if you can quietly accumulate and hide them during marriage too so you can pay for life after marriage (if when she leaves you). >:D
Fixed that for you. This is such good advice for younger unmarried guys, I can't agree enough. Ask me how I know....
How do you know? I'd go so far as to say if you're not married but think you might someday.....participate in your 401k match and put ALL rest in gold coins and NEVER reveal it until you retire, if then. You could just quietly sell one every month and tell her the money is coming from some great investments you were smart enough to make.
This has been discussed here before, but let me put it to you this way:
If you knew that a certain investment opportunity had only a 30% chance of profitability and if it didn't pan out you would lose at least half of your original investment plus create all kinds of collateral damage, would you invest your life savings in that even if the profit was potentially great? As PPers, that type of investment doesn't fit with our philosophy, yet that's essentially what men do when they enter into a legal contract with another person and the government, called marriage.

And I know because I have had the displeasure of personally dealing with this about a decade ago.
Me too, although it was 25 years ago.
My current marriage is one of the relatively rare winners.
Hey, we found another thing in common! 26 years happy here.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 am

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by SomeDude » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:37 pm

7.5 months.

I'm still in the accumulation phase ;D
User avatar
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 am

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Hal » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:31 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:53 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:28 am
pugchief wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:02 am
SomeDude wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:58 am
pugchief wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:28 am
SomeDude wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:49 am

All kidding aside, having a bunch of gold coins hidden at the time of marriage is better than a prenup. Bonus points if you can quietly accumulate and hide them during marriage too so you can pay for life after marriage (if when she leaves you). >:D
Fixed that for you. This is such good advice for younger unmarried guys, I can't agree enough. Ask me how I know....
How do you know? I'd go so far as to say if you're not married but think you might someday.....participate in your 401k match and put ALL rest in gold coins and NEVER reveal it until you retire, if then. You could just quietly sell one every month and tell her the money is coming from some great investments you were smart enough to make.
This has been discussed here before, but let me put it to you this way:
If you knew that a certain investment opportunity had only a 30% chance of profitability and if it didn't pan out you would lose at least half of your original investment plus create all kinds of collateral damage, would you invest your life savings in that even if the profit was potentially great? As PPers, that type of investment doesn't fit with our philosophy, yet that's essentially what men do when they enter into a legal contract with another person and the government, called marriage.

And I know because I have had the displeasure of personally dealing with this about a decade ago.
Me too, although it was 25 years ago.
My current marriage is one of the relatively rare winners.
Hey, we found another thing in common! 26 years happy here.
Been following this guy for investment thoughts for ages.
His post is about Gold/Silver/Bitcoin/Marriage/Corona Virus/Economics/Health (take your pick ;) )
Feel a bit sorry for him as he obtained enough to retire then got cancer. Doubt if I could remain so positive in his situation......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B-fvfL ... LA&index=2
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 am

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by SomeDude » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:34 pm

Anyone considering buying physical gold for the first ruins but having a hard time pulling the trigger?
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3188
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Poll: What percentage of your gold is held in physical form?

Post by Xan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:35 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:34 pm
Anyone considering buying physical gold for the first ruins but having a hard time pulling the trigger?
The first... ruins? Guessing this was an autocorrect for "time"?

Premiums seem to be high right now (5%?) which makes it hard to pull that trigger.
Post Reply