Sprott Intends to Make Exchange Offers for Central GoldTrust and Silver Bullion

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Sprott Intends to Make Exchange Offers for Central GoldTrust and Silver Bullion

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Desert wrote: What about physical gold?  I know I'm off topic, but I really think that when gold is needed most, we won't want to be looking at it on a screen, we'll want it in our possession.
Sure, but you're right that it's off topic in this thread.  :P
LazyInvestor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Sprott Intends to Make Exchange Offers for Central GoldTrust and Silver Bullion

Post by LazyInvestor » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:57 am

Mine converted fine too. I guess I have to also rationally check their prospectus and the trust rather than selling it just because I'm pissed off with the conversion.
Last edited by LazyInvestor on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:14 pm

Did anyone have to pay some brokerage fees for the conversion?  Is your cost basis adjusted correctly?  I haven't checked mine yet
LazyInvestor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by LazyInvestor » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:58 pm

No conversion fees. Partial share was sold to round down the number of shares (0.2 share in my case) and cash was deposited. Cost basis looks fine.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:00 pm

I'll bet that the ones that haven't converted yet are held in Vanguard. They are dreadfully slow.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:50 pm

Showed up in Vanguard Jan 20. Well, I guess it showed up today (21st), but in transaction history, the Corp Action is 1/20.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
LazyInvestor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by LazyInvestor » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:30 am

Just got rid of all my PHYS!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:50 am

Why? PHYS has been performing just as well as GLD, or IAU. Why get rid of it?
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Picked up some CEF to tax loss harvest the PHYS.  At around 5% discount, I'm ready for a takeover now!  I know it isn't pure PP, but I'm only planning to hold for a month (although I'll see how I feel in a month).  Hopefully this is kosher with wash sale rules, as I suppose the gold component could be considered equivalent, but they are certainly very different securities given all the other differences in management, etc.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:54 pm

Reub wrote: Why? PHYS has been performing just as well as GLD, or IAU. Why get rid of it?
The reason I got rid of my GTU as soon as it was taken over by Sprott is that I don't want to do business with people who use such tactics as Sprott uses. Performance is secondary to that.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:27 pm

I would have sold my PHYS also but it's been up so much recently that I don't want to incur the taxes. :)
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:51 pm

Reub wrote: I would have sold my PHYS also but it's been up so much recently that I don't want to incur the taxes. :)
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:24 pm

Yes I do but I had a gain because I tax loss harvested out of IAU not that long ago and into GTU, which became PHYS.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:11 am

Earlier, I sold some phys and picked up CEF for tax loss harvesting. I've had it more than a month, but held on because it was performing fine and had a decent discount to NAV. Recently, the discount has closed by a few percent (still no premium). Should I just switch back? During brexit, it lagged gold a bit but seemed to do its job fine
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:54 am

dragoncar wrote:Earlier, I sold some phys and picked up CEF for tax loss harvesting. I've had it more than a month, but held on because it was performing fine and had a decent discount to NAV. Recently, the discount has closed by a few percent (still no premium). Should I just switch back? During brexit, it lagged gold a bit but seemed to do its job fine
I like CEF, partly because it has silver, and partly because its tax treatment is supposed to be the same as normal capital gains, not the "collectibles" rate.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:37 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:I like CEF, partly because it has silver, and partly because its tax treatment is supposed to be the same as normal capital gains, not the "collectibles" rate.
Does that mean you can get the 0% capital gains rate if you're in the right bracket instead of your income tax rate?
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:23 pm

yes, its the same deal as GTU was

although I only have it in tax-deferred right now (but that saves me from having to file that stupid form I hate)
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:13 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:I like CEF, partly because it has silver, and partly because its tax treatment is supposed to be the same as normal capital gains, not the "collectibles" rate.
Does that mean you can get the 0% capital gains rate if you're in the right bracket instead of your income tax rate?
Yes, that is my understanding, as long as you file the correct 8621 forms every year.