IRA Rollover into Physical Gold?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

iSixty

Re: IRA Rollover into Physical Gold?

Post by iSixty »

@AlanT

Agreed.  It may have been a bit confusing a few years ago, but I just completed a custodian to custodian transfer of part of my IRA to a precious metals IRA, and it was a simple process.

As with everything, there is always some risk, but IRAs are strictly regulated by the IRS, and the custodian is holding your gold in a segregated account.  That's about as good as one can do short of having physical possession of the metals, which is not allowed in the context of an IRA.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

iSixty wrote: @AlanT

Agreed.  It may have been a bit confusing a few years ago, but I just completed a custodian to custodian transfer of part of my IRA to a precious metals IRA, and it was a simple process.

As with everything, there is always some risk, but IRAs are strictly regulated by the IRS, and the custodian is holding your gold in a segregated account.  That's about as good as one can do short of having physical possession of the metals, which is not allowed in the context of an IRA.
Are you satisfied with the fees you will be paying compared to simply using GTU or IAU?
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

iSixty wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:55 pm @AlanT

This is from almost seven years ago? Am I correct in assuming that the process may now be even more simple?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Nope! Goldstar Trust Co. is still complicated to deal with! Still manual processes. But I'm satisfied with them. I'm not changing. It's still my own physical gold held in a secure facility.