Any downside to bars?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Any downside to bars?

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Hal wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:38 pm My source: People who survived WW2 in Europe :)

Gold was a store of wealth to restart their life "after" the war.-> Coins/bars OK as life had returned to normal.

Silver "Coins" for trade during the war -> Any display of excess wealth (Eg, Gold) was dangerous.
Many people strawman this, but it's exactly right. I'd rather trade gold in a stable marketplace than one with its hair on fire.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Ha, how many groups of guys are there in the world where a post with "bars" in the title refers to the shiny metal, and not to locations serving alcoholic beverages?
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

sophie wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:51 am Ha, how many groups of guys are there in the world where a post with "bars" in the title refers to the shiny metal, and not to locations serving alcoholic beverages?
Dubai guys have it sorted :D
Attachments
Best of both worlds.png
Best of both worlds.png (501.69 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:24 am
Hal wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:38 pm My source: People who survived WW2 in Europe :)

Gold was a store of wealth to restart their life "after" the war.-> Coins/bars OK as life had returned to normal.

Silver "Coins" for trade during the war -> Any display of excess wealth (Eg, Gold) was dangerous.
Many people strawman this, but it's exactly right. I'd rather trade gold in a stable marketplace than one with its hair on fire.
Correct. Silver is for hand-to-hand transactions, gold is for capital transactions.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Hal wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:09 am
sophie wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:51 am Ha, how many groups of guys are there in the world where a post with "bars" in the title refers to the shiny metal, and not to locations serving alcoholic beverages?
(image above)
That is beautiful, and also very Sodom and Gomorrah. O0 Or Beowulf. Grendel is on his way to tear those guys apart for their ostentatious bar.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

dualstow wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:02 pm
Hal wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:09 am
(image above)
That is beautiful, and also very Sodom and Gomorrah. O0 Or Beowulf. Grendel is on his way to tear those guys apart for their ostentatious bar.
I just had to add this link that was received today ;)

https://goldsilver.com/blog/how-much-be ... urce=zaius