Gold Coin Counterfeit Detectors

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Gold Coin Counterfeit Detectors

Post by Lonestar » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 am

In addition to buying from highly reputable dealers, how about only buying new issue American Eagles (2018) not random year coins? If the dealer is authorized affiliate of the Mint, you are essentially getting coins directly from the Mint eliminating the risk of counterfeit coins. Is my thinking flawed?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:42 pm

eufo wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:27 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:28 pm
Your best protection against counterfeiting is to always buy from highly reputable dealers.
This seems to be the general consensus and I agree.

However, because I'm the ultimate in paranoia, I picked up a SigmaMetalytics Precious Metal Verifier Pro. I have to say, it's finally given me the peace of mind that I needed. I've only used it with gold and silver, but it's quite simple and thorough.
Anyone else own one of these.

From looking here at the prices of various components related to it, it looks like it is fairly expensive?

https://sigmametalytics.com/PMVPro/

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:27 pm

No. I have this piece of plastic that Craig recommended maybe 10 years ago. It works fine, although I don’t even really test coins anymore. These days I buy new ones from Apmex instead of random year, b/c I buy so few.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:16 pm

If your really going to invest in precious metals (silver bars, gold bars, and bullion) It seems like the best thing to do would be to get a sigma metalytics. I think it has a wand to test bars and settings for the different types of coins (Eagles, Buffalos, etc. I’ve been thinking about getting one myself. My local coin shop uses it as well.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:10 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:16 pm
If your really going to invest in precious metals (silver bars, gold bars, and bullion) It seems like the best thing to do would be to get a sigma metalytics. I think it has a wand to test bars and settings for the different types of coins (Eagles, Buffalos, etc. I’ve been thinking about getting one myself. My local coin shop uses it as well.
From the web site I cited could you determine what would be the minimum amount you'd need to spend to do what you wanted it to do?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:14 pm

OK so I am no expert here but I believe this is the setup my local coin shop uses when I buy eagles and buffalos. But I have never seen them use the wand because I have not purchased any bars. I think the price differences are based on the wands. If you are only buying coins, then I think the $625 option works.

https://sigmametalytics.com/purchase/pm ... ption.html
https://sigmametalytics.com/purchase/or ... l-pmv.html

I see them on ebay as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-Metalyti ... SwZ1BXf8MV
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:45 pm

I just realized another reason I haven’t tested coins lately. Many of them remain sealed! I have never unsealed them. So, that rules out the goldCoinBalance mentioned on page one.

If one of these gizmos can examine the gold right through the plastic...I still wouldn’t spring for it. $625. I don’t have enough gold to justify it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:27 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:14 pm
OK so I am no expert here but I believe this is the setup my local coin shop uses when I buy eagles and buffalos. But I have never seen them use the wand because I have not purchased any bars. I think the price differences are based on the wands. If you are only buying coins, then I think the $625 option works.

https://sigmametalytics.com/purchase/pm ... ption.html
https://sigmametalytics.com/purchase/or ... l-pmv.html

I see them on ebay as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-Metalyti ... SwZ1BXf8MV
Thanks. I did see that there were a lot being sold at eBay. But I don't like buying things on eBay that I don't know anything about so I did not go there at all.

Vinny
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:26 pm

I don't think I have been on ebay since the number at the top of the calendar started with one and nine.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:31 pm

To me these make sense if someone starts buying multi oz and kilo bars.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:04 am

Ad Orientem wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:26 pm
I don't think I have been on ebay since the number at the top of the calendar started with one and nine.
It can be an excellent place to buy things if you know what you are buying, i.e., what is a good buy.

Vinny
StJohnVianney

Post by StJohnVianney » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:50 am

Goldcoinbalance is no longer guaranteed against American Eagles or Krugerrands and since platinum no longer costs more than gold, it might not work against any gold coin.

From goldcoinbalance.com: "Other cheap metals such as zinc, copper or steel are even lighter than lead. There are only two metals that come close to gold in weight. Platinum, which costs more than gold, and Tungsten, which is so brittle it can't be stamped into a coin."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:37 am

StJohnVianney wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:50 am
Goldcoinbalance is no longer guaranteed against American Eagles or Krugerrands and since platinum no longer costs more than gold, it might not work against any gold coin.

From goldcoinbalance.com: "Other cheap metals such as zinc, copper or steel are even lighter than lead. There are only two metals that come close to gold in weight. Platinum, which costs more than gold, and Tungsten, which is so brittle it can't be stamped into a coin."
Very interesting. I doubt that thieves are going to stock up on platinum to rip people off, but who knows what they're going to come up with next.