Good Time to Buy?

Discussion of funds that implement the Permanent Portfolio strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Good Time to Buy?

Post by AdamA »

Might be a good time to pick up some PRPFX. 
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Good Time to Buy?

Post by foglifter »

Thanks for asking. Funny, I just posted my question about TLH, which in effect is contrary to yours. 
I'll be anxiously waiting for responses to both questions. ;D
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I would say now is a great time to buy PRPFX.

Not necessarily all at once, but the current price suggests that adding to or starting a position might make sense.

My experience has been that when everyone starts getting jittery about PRPFX and noticing how much better the HB PP is performing, it's probably a good time to buy PRPFX.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

MediumTex wrote: I would say now is a great time to buy PRPFX.

Not necessarily all at once, but the current price suggests that adding to or starting a position might make sense.

My experience has been that when everyone starts getting jittery about PRPFX and noticing how much better the HB PP is performing, it's probably a good time to buy PRPFX.
Agreed. With treasuries outperforming equities and gold, it makes sense to purchase a fund like PRPFX which has reduced exposure to longer duration bonds. Resembles re-balancing from FI to other assets held in the 4x25 PP.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
jackely

Post by jackely »

MediumTex wrote: My experience has been that when everyone starts getting jittery about PRPFX and noticing how much better the HB PP is performing, it's probably a good time to buy PRPFX.
Damn, I wish I had read this before I went and sold it all yesterday.
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter »

jackh wrote:
MediumTex wrote: My experience has been that when everyone starts getting jittery about PRPFX and noticing how much better the HB PP is performing, it's probably a good time to buy PRPFX.
Did you sell for TLH purposes? I sold most of it and put half of the sale proceeds into FSRRX and FBALX. The former is the closest from Fidelity funds to PRPFX and I bought it the day it posted distribution and went down -3%. The latter hasn't paid anything this year.

I plan to exchange back to PRPFX some time next year.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
jackely

Post by jackely »

foglifter wrote:
jackh wrote:
Did you sell for TLH purposes? I sold most of it and put half of the sale proceeds into FSRRX and FBALX. The former is the closest from Fidelity funds to PRPFX and I bought it the day it posted distribution and went down -3%. The latter hasn't paid anything this year.

I plan to exchange back to PRPFX some time next year.
Yes, primarily at this time for TLH purposes (Offsets a gain from selling FBALX to buy PRPFX early in the year, BTW). I was planning on selling off PRPFX early next year any way though. I converted my IRA to the HB PP a few months ago and have gotten comfortable with the DIY approach. I like the simplicity of it and since it's getting a better return I see no point in paying for Mr. Cuggino's expertise. I did follow MT's recommendation of buying 10% EDV and I'm still holding that because it's in the green.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

It might be a good time to buy some PRPFX...again  ;).
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal