PERM Article by Nusbaum of Street.com

Discussion of funds that implement the Permanent Portfolio strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

hrux

PERM Article by Nusbaum of Street.com

Post by hrux »

Interesting summary.  In my opinion I would prefer this over PRPFX due to lower fees and truer adoption to HB PP

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11412646 ... mance.html
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PERM Article by Nusbaum of Street.com

Post by Ad Orientem »

Thanks for posting.  I am definitely keeping an eye on PERM.  If it shows some stability and decent tax efficiency over a year or two I may recommend it over PRPFX as my favorite second choice for those who want maximum simplicity and one stop shopping.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Can it's stability and tax efficiency be predicted?
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Reub wrote: Can it's stability and tax efficiency be predicted?
I think stability (as in its been around a while and hasn't changed its asset allocation) is something that can only be shown with time.  Setting aside any of its shortcoming, PRPFX has an established record that gives me a reasonable level of confidence that it isn't going to do something weird or quirky tomorrow.  Tax efficiency is influenced by a lot of different factors, like rebalancing frequency and distributions.  That too requires a little bit of time to get a feel for how management is going to run things.

Bottom line... I am intrigued and think PERM has some real potential if it's run right.  It COULD end up being a better choice than PRPFX for one stop shoppers and those who just don't want to deal with their own finances.  One thing that would make it more attractive would be a modest reduction in F&E.  .48% is not unacceptable, but it is on the high end of what I would consider paying for a passively managed fund.
longeyes

Post by longeyes »

PRPFX has walked the walk for a long time and has a lot of assets.  There is no surety that PERM, regardless of its merits, will attract enough investors to even be around two years from now.  ETFs come and go.  Make haste slowly.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

If PERM eventually "goes", what would happen to money invested in it?
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Reub wrote: If PERM eventually "goes", what would happen to money invested in it?
I assume if they shut down the fund they would liquidate all of its holdings and return the money to shareholders.  Since it's mostly just a fund of funds, there might be an option to receive an in-kind distribution of the underlying fund shares.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Reub wrote: If PERM eventually "goes", what would happen to money invested in it?
Law and securities regulations require that reasonable notice be given before any substantive changes are made to asset allocation or other integral aspects of an investment vehicle as advertised in its prospectus.  If a fund is dissolved then normally investors would be notified of the impending dissolution and asked what they would like done with their shares.  If no instructions are received shares would be converted to cash, MMF etc.
Last edited by Ad Orientem on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.