stocks in PRPFX

Discussion of funds that implement the Permanent Portfolio strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

jediclampet

stocks in PRPFX

Post by jediclampet » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Since PRPFX is so big (total net assets $17.4 billion), if a large proportion of PRPFX holders start selling because, say, gold or the Swiss Franc is tanking, wouldn't that also results in a large sell off of the individual stocks in PRPFX which could cause the stocks in PRPFX to perform much worse than the general stock market?
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: stocks in PRPFX

Post by clacy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Relative to the scopes of these markets........ US stocks, US Treasuries, Swiss Franc, Gold, PRPFX is a drop in the bucket. 

It's not moving the market over the long term
6 Iron
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by 6 Iron » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Jedi, I believe a more significant concern would be the tax efficiency of PRPFX if there was a massive sell off.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:16 pm

6 Iron wrote: Jedi, I believe a more significant concern would be the tax efficiency of PRPFX if there was a massive sell off.
Yes. I would be more worried about how they'd handle mass redemptions. The stocks are going to sell for what the market prices them. PRPFX isn't big enough by itself to have an serious impact.
stone
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stone » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Is the silver market small enough that it gets moved by expansion/redemption of PRPFX?
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Mulla Nasrudin
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:56 pm

stone wrote: Is the silver market small enough that it gets moved by expansion/redemption of PRPFX?
I doubt it.

The ETF SLV looks to have about $10 billion in assets, compared to PRPFX's $850 million in silver (5% of $17 billion), so PRPFX doesn't hold that much silver even compared to other funds that hold silver.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”